Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - muttley78
Does anyone on here have any views or experience of the Fiesta 1.4 LX and what it's like to drive fur commuting?

Reason I ask is that my R reg 306 is on its last legs, though its lasted well and a friend has said about their 2002 Fiesta LX - it's a 1.4 petrol engine with 42k on the clock, good condition, MOT and recent service etc. I would be using it mostly to get to and from work which is an 80 mile round trip each day, no motorway driving though, my route is two A roads with several villages as well as several steep hills to go up and down so not a case of getting up to 70 and staying there on a motorway!

My petrol 1.6 306 would average about 38-40 litres each week to do the 5 day commute so would the Fiesta be able to better this? (Obviously ideally it'd be diesel but there's few diesels going in my budget (3k) that are in good condition or not huge mileage))

Thanks for any views/opinions!
Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - gordonbennet

Treat it with some TLC and service it properly and regularly with good quality oils and parts and it'll last for years.

HJ's Real MPG list above reckons on 40mpg for the 1.4 petrol, doesn't sound wonderful but i expect if you don;t thrash the car you will get better than that on your quite long commute, obviously depends on traffic and terrain and your right foot and planning in dealing with them..;)

Not as good as the Diesel but then it doesn't have the ticking turbo time bomb of the Diesel waiting to wipe your fuel savings out in one swipe either.

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - Happy Blue!

Sincerely hope you are not contemplating paying £3,000 for this Fiesta? It may be a decent alternative for you, but not for that money.

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - brum

£3000 is WAY too much for 2002 Fiesta!!

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - 72 dudes

Private sale in good condition £1700.

For the commute you do I'd go a size (or two) up, look at Focus 1.6 or even Mondeo 1.8 petrol. For the type of driving you do, high 30's or 40 MPG should be achievable.

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - daveyK_UK

It would have to be in perfect condition to pay £1700 for it.

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - muttley78

Thanks for the feedback so far, always good to get some views from others when it comes to certain types of cars - I've had an eye out for a Focus for a while but it's hard to find one within budget that hasn't already got a lot of mileage on the clock, but it would be a good choice I've always felt. I did make the point about the valuation, I'm guessing that price tag came about as a garage nearby had a 2002 Fiesta, similar mileage in great condition and were asking £2900 for it so they took their cue from them - I thought it was eye watering myself to ask that much but there you go!

Interesting remark about the diesel above, have there been a lot of issues with the 1.4 Fiesta diesel then?

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - 72 dudes

Interesting remark about the diesel above, have there been a lot of issues with the 1.4 Fiesta diesel then?

I think the comment was directed at older diesels in general - they can become expensive to repair if they go wrong.

Ford Fiesta LX - Fiesta LX (2002) opinions for commuting? - madf

Buy a Yaris d4d about the same age.

55mpg and far better reliability than any Ford...

Usual checks of course...