Toyota Yaris Verso - Parking Fine - ART300

My wife parked her car on a retail car park from 8.14pm to 10.33pm to attend a church concert . No signs were immediately apparent and we have often used this car park during shopping hours so were unaware of any restrictions . Apart from one other car we were the only vehicles in the car park . She has now received a charge notice for £70 or £50 if paid before the 21st april from TPS. Her surname is misspelt on the form . Does this make any difference ? Should she offer £10 and hope that this will end the matter . As pensioners this is a lot of money to pay when we inconvenienced no-one and the stores were all closed .

An urgent reply would be appreciated !

Toyota Yaris Verso - Parking Fine - FP

I'm pretty certain that you have received a "parking charge notice" or something similar.

You are therefore dealing with an alleged breach of contract from a private parking company, who have invoiced you.

You may try the "£10 offer" by all means, but I bet they won't play. Some would advise you to ignore every communication you receive unless it's a court summons and then to to attend court to argue the signage was inadequate and/or the "charge" unreasonable.

In practice you may well never get a court summons, as a lot of these companies rely on the fear of their victims and their wish to get the whole business off their backs, ratcheted up by increasingly threatening letters. However, I don't think anyone knows for certain what the outcome would be.

I suggest you look at www.pepipoo.com, where you will get plenty of advice and some suggested letters if you are minded to be combative.

Incidentally, if you put TPS into the search box at the bottom of the home page you'll find plenty of discussion about this particular firm. (Apparently letters nos 3 & 4 in their sequence are headed Legal Action Pending - though whether they ever do take anyone to court is doubtful - followed by letters headed Debt Recovery and so on, all designed to make you feel vulnerable.)

On a personal note, I had a windscreen-attached Parking Charge Notice from APCOA in December; I made no response and I've heard nothing since.

Edited by FP on 10/05/2013 at 11:50

Toyota Yaris Verso - Parking Fine - daveyjp
Definately go to Pepipoo. The indendepent appeals system is slowly coming round to the fact that maybe these are penalties, not genuine estimates of loss and therefore are unenforceable.
Toyota Yaris Verso - Parking Fine - ART300

Thanks for the advice . Does the mispelt name make a differce ? I will try the
£10 ploy first and see what happens .

Toyota Yaris Verso - Parking Fine - daveyjp
Don't send £10, the loons in the PPC assylum will only send it back. With the new regime it is far better to give them both barrels and demonstrate you are up for a fight.

Visit pepipoo, they have people who will help you free of charge and pick holes in everything you have received so far. When you get your ticket cancelled give your £10 to them to keep the site running.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/05/2013 at 20:13