Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Pebble

Anybody know much about this model? Looks intriguing from what I've seen online, but Renault went and quit selling cars here, so I've never seen a Vel Satis up close. Does any poster here have one?

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - daveyK_UK

I have also been looking at them for the past 12 months; I also like the look of a C6.

Currently the C6 prices are a little high for something which will be expensive to put right and hard to move on.

Back to the Vel Satis, I think they sold less than 1,500 in the UK so parts, knowledge and spare availability will not be great. But at the prices they are now at, it should not matter.

I think its a beautiful car, but what puts me of is the fact it was built by Renault right in the middle of their reliability demise. And the Vel Satis is meant to be every bit as unreliable as the Laguna, Megane, Espace, etc they churned out at this time.

I still intend on buying one, but it will have to be sub £1,000 and have reasonable tyres and MOT left.

I will aim to run it until something major goes wrong; then to the scrap yard

I do enjoy bangernomics with luxury cars, some last weeks - others refuse to die.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 04/05/2013 at 21:49

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Pebble

I do enjoy bangernomics with luxury cars, some last weeks - others refuse to die.

Absolutely right! No sense in practising bangernomics with some cheapie anonymous little car...might as well get something that new was well beyond your budget and have fun with it. Thus my previous Benz 380SL--it was fun while it lasted.

there are a few to be aware off

nissan QX and hyundai XG30

they both refuse to die.

My friend tried to bangernomics with a Nissan QX, 4 years later it runs with everything still working.

He desperatly wants to change car but refuses to get rid of the QX until it has a major failure which looks unlikely.

He self services the car and doesnt want it to die through neglect.

Another friend tried the same with a Kia Magentis 2.5 v6 top spec.

After 3 years it still runs perfectly. He recently had the cam belt done as its often the only thing which kills these cars in the USA.

Again, car is serviced and is proving increadibly good value for money only costing £700.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 04/05/2013 at 22:32

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Happy Blue!

The Vel Satis was a large limousine type car with little character. It was joined by a huge two door MPV called the Aventime. They both had plastic soulless interiors, although at least the Vel Satis had the option of a 3.5l V6 diesel i think.

I took an Avantime for a test drive once and was underwhelmed. Looked great on the outside, but was a solution looking for a problem.

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - leaseman

I had a 12 month old Vel Satis 2.2 TDci Prestige on a 12 month lease back in 2004, for which I paid £165 a month including VAT and full maintenance. Bargain!

The only problem I had with it was the electronic parking brake, which stuck on twice in traffic. The dealer could not find the fault.

Some 3 years later, whilst running a warranty company, we covered an Avantime. I distinctly remember paying out £962 excluding VAT to replace the O/S Window Regulator! The massive articulated doors were always going to be a problem!

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Collos25

A Vel Satis is a Laguna with a plastic body with all the faults of the Laguna I ran one for a few months 2.2dci fully loaded best left alone if you want a reliable banger.

As expected Collas.

Was it based on the Laguna chassis?

Edited by daveyK_UK on 05/05/2013 at 22:43

Laguna platform I believe .

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - TeeCee

It was always tricky to find a decent QX. The reason was that any secondhand car dealer that took a QX in part-exchange would then use it as his own car.

That tells you that they are both cheap for what they are and bulletproof.

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Ed V

My guess is that it's pot luck with any manufacturer once past a certain age. Take comfort from the thousands made and run all over France. I think they were only ignored here because UK badge snobbery means large cars have to be mainly German. Silly but still the reality.

I do not think they sold thousands anywhere not even in France I do not think it was snobbery I think at the time it was a question of one working and one not and if you had a few thousand to spend on a car you picked the one that worked.

Duplicate post, equally short of punctuation.

Edited by Avant on 07/05/2013 at 00:35

Ed V

thousands in France, are you sure?

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - Alf_Hooker

Seen many of these in France, They built 62 201 of them. sold less than 2000 in the UK

The Vel Satis shares its "platform" (chassis, powertrain, assembly process) with the Laguna and ESPACE IV and was produced on the same assembly line.

I think the achilles heel was the 2.2 DCI engine which is renowned for being s***.

Renault Vel Satis - Curious about... - mike hannon
I live in France and a Vel Satis is a rare sight in my part of the world, as is the C6.
A friend of mine owns a C6. He owns an engineering company and wants to drive the best of French. The C6 replaced a Pug 607, which he liked, but it has given him a lot of expensive grief and he won't be buying another apparently.

Read the advice at the top of the column or are you being in a more pedantic mood..