Toyota Aygo - Which would you go for? - neilp123

I'm looking at 2 cars at the moment. Both Toyota Aygos, the same models. Just wondering which you think would be the better one to go for:

1. 07, 18k, staring price £4,595

2. 06, 36,000, starting price £4,000

Basically, I'm curious whether you think the 1st one, being 1 year younger and having less mileage is worth the extra money.

Thanks

Toyota Aygo - Which would you go for? - Snakey

When I've been looking at cars like this it would come down to condition and history.

So if car 1 is in good condition and has good history then it would be worth the extra as its newer and lower mileage. However if No. 2 is better then its not worth paying the extra.

I've driven a few MGTF and MX5s recently in my quest for a summer car, and the variation in condition of the 1999-2004 cars has been astounding. Rotten/tatty 2004 cars and mint 1999 cars for the same price.

Toyota Aygo - Which would you go for? - gordonbennet

Either, one could need disc and pads a full service new tyres and that huge wiper blade in short order, there's £3/400 straight off unless you do the work yourself, you won't know till you check them out, its what people omit from these ads which can be the most important so read the ad and paperwork carefully and check the car over very carefully.

Remember to check Pug/Cit versions of this car, which are all the same except for slight body and light differences, i'm told they tend to be cheaper than the Toyota badged model.

Toyota Aygo - Which would you go for? - Chris M

Does it have to be an Aygo? Can you spend a little bit more?

You can get a two year old C1 or 107 for £5k from the supermarkets.

Sadly we're pretty tight on budget, and the £4.5k is pushing it! £3.5k is the budget plus the car my wife already has which should get £500 minimum.

Have looked at C1's also, and its true, they are slightly cheaper that the Aygos. Just looking for the right one!

Toyota Aygo - Which would you go for? - daveyjp
What spec? Basic, '+'' or sport? Basic has no central locking and manual windows.

Check for leaks, leaks and leaks into the car! If they are four door check for extra guttering along the top of the doors. This was not fitted when new, but is a sign of retro fitting following a leak into the rear.

Take everything out of the boot, including the spare wheel. Check for water ingress in the spare wheel well, rusty spare wheel, rusty nut heads around the rear seat mountings etc.

IMHO aircon is a definate requirement, but pollen filter can be forgotten and may have not been changed. Easy fix, £7 pattern part and 20 seconds. Toyota quoted £54 to change it!

Check the front brakes. Low mileage models can get rusty disks, ours were swapped after 14,000 due to extensive rust in the vents. Why vented disks are needed on a 65 bhp car I will never know.

Lastly the water pump of this model was badly designed, ours failed at about 4,000 miles, but a friends has just failed on her 107 at 25,000 so it can happen at any time.

The water pump is on the left as you look into the engine bay. Look for pink staining around the pulley and the left of the engine. It's engine coolant which has leaked.

Look at the pump design.

Old style:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AYGO-1-0-05-WATER-PUMP-O...6

The replacement:

www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1122976&p...4

Check electrics and the rear boot lock which was also a weak point and fails to lock, especially on central locking cars. Clutches have been known to fail after as little as 20,000. Toyota upgraded the plate to one used on a Yaris after changing far too many under warranty.

A FDSH is worth having as Toyota are good at contributing towards repairs outside of warranty.

Oh and don't forget to check for leaks into the car!

Edited by daveyjp on 22/04/2013 at 20:04

Wow - now that's what I call a response!

Great information there. I'm going to look at the 07 Aygo tomorrow to see if a deal can be done. Will be sure to check all that you've mentioned.

Thanks again!