Golf Mk 7 Diesel - Golf Mk 7 mpg levels - dickt

I have a 2013 Golf Mk 7, with the 2.0tdi engine attached to a dsg box. I traded in my Mk5 2.0 tdi 170 dsg for it.

I wish I had not bothered. The mpg in the new one - supposedly much higher - is actually much worse. I run it in eco mode, I turn off the aircon, and i do all the sensible things to get the mpg up. The car has done 39 mpg from new, and its best ever run was 45 mpg. It has never recorded 50 mpg.

The new car is supposed to do 62.8 mpg. The real world number will be under 45 mpg.

This is much worse than my 170 bhp Mk 5. (After VW sorted the dpf and injector problems.)

Do not buy this car for its mpg!!!

Golf Mk 7 Diesel - Golf Mk 7 mpg levels - madf

2013?

So you have been driving it :

when new

in winter

Obviously you are unaware cars need up to 10k miles to bed in foir best consumption and fuel usage rises 10-20% in winter...

And you appear unaware that quoted mpg = not real life...(Most other people do know this)

Readers: Ignore dickt's comments..

Edited by madf on 10/04/2013 at 13:51

Golf Mk 7 Diesel - Golf Mk 7 mpg levels - Sofa Spud

The original poster obviously has experience of VW Golf diesels and the fact that the Mk7 is new and used in winter doesn't fully explain the extent of the poor consumption.

Golf Mk 7 Diesel - Golf Mk 7 mpg levels - oldgit

Triskaidekaphobia then?

Golf Mk 7 Diesel - Golf Mk 7 mpg levels - brum

Triskaidekaphobia then?

Fear of the number 13? Eh?

Back to the OP.

I can sympathise. And being a owner of a few VAG cars over the years (SEAT/VW/SKODA) and an active member of other forums, I think I recognise a trend.

My observations and opinion:

Newer engines seem to be built much tighter when new and though some seem to loosen up fairly quickly, many others take much longer or never do loosen up. My pet theory is it may be partly due to todays factory fill full synthetic oil combined with too gentle run-in regime, that effectively means the run-in wear/loosening up never occurs.

Recent press also seems to support long held beliefs that the EU directives on fuel consumption lead to highly creative manipulation of CO2 figures by manufacturers desperate to reduce their average CO2 targets, which if they miss the EU limits lead to massive financial penalties.

My advice to the OP is: don't mollycoddle the engine - rag it every now and then and get that engine loosened up in the first 10k, otherwise it may never loosen up.