Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - Happy Blue!

Have to get to Bournemouth on Thursday - there and back in the day with two people. Flying via Southampton is about £600. Train is about 4 hours 45 mins non-stop, but the cost is over £160 just for me. My fellow passenger is over 60 so he gets cheap tickets.

Alternatively we can go in his new Lexus Hybrid RX. Driving is about 4hours 30mins without stops, but we can leave earlier than the first sensible train. The route I think is M6, M40, A34, M3, M27.

Any comments, suggestions, advice?

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - TeeCee

Looks like the right route. Factor in the expected fuel costs and wear and tear on the car. Then work out if the more comfortable surroundings are worth the price difference and driving effort. Are you insured on the Lexus, or is he going to have to do all the driving?

I'm a little intrigued as to what you expect to achieve in the brief few moments in Bournemouth between the two long journeys occupying the rest of your day. Remember here that 4:30 without stops will probably work out somewhere north of 5 with.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - dacouch

I think it will be more like 5 to 6 hours.

If you're using that route, there's contra flow on the M6 at Birmingham, you can avoid it by shooting down the M5 and then around the bottom of Birmingham which is about 10 miles further but will save more than this in time.

Thanks both

Reason for the trip is to visit a close friend whose elderly father died earlier in the week. So its a quick up and down staying for a couple of hours of condolences.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - TeeCee

I tend to stump up for the M6 toll. That way you not only avoid the inevitable pig's ear around Birmingham but also get a nice clear run down to the M40, as the bulk of the traffic that would be going that way is stuck with its cooling fans going flat out on the M6.

I've always found that M6/M5 interchange to be rather unpleasant at the best of times and I'd expect that, with world + dog attempting to avoid the M6 at Birmingham, it won't be the best of times.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - dacouch

I'm not local to the area but have done this route quite a few times recently and found the M5/M6 interchange no problem as you join the M6 just after the road works.

There was very little traffic on the M5 early morning / evening.

M6 toll is another option

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - barney100

Old fashioned but the coach services may be worth a look. It would be much cheaper and you would still be quids in having a Bournemouth B&B overnight and back the next day.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - gordonbennet

If you're going to hit the Birmingham section of M6 after 0630 it will probably be worth stumping up for the M6 Toll.

Try to avoid the A34 from Oxford to M40 at peak afternoon commuter time on the return journey that section can be bad (as it can going South in the morning peak), in fact i'd be inclined if at all possible to not leave Bournemouth until about 6pm if Friday's diary permits a late Thurs night, you shoud have a pleasant fast run back then.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/04/2013 at 22:54

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - Ed V

The airport's about 7 miles north of Bournemouth. Factor in school Easter holdays.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - Ian_SW

I do a similar journey around once every couple of weeks for work (though not usually returning on the same day) and Birmingham is much better to get round than it was a couple of years ago, presumably due to fuel getting more expensive and the economic situation in the midlands.

I've generally found it better to run south out of Birmingham on the M5 down to Gloucester and then the A417/A419 past Swindon (dual carriageway apart from about 3 miles) and a couple of junctions east on the M4 before going down the A34. This cuts out the slower side of Birmingham and also completely avoids the Oxford ring road which can only be a good thing!

According to Google Maps it's only a mile more in distance than the M6-M40-A34 route and the roads are equally as fast. Try to time the trip so you avoid the Air Baloon Roundabout on the A417 (the single carriageway bit) for around 15 minutes either side of about 8am going south and 5:30pm going north and you'll get a full speed clear run through there.

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Skodalan.

That route makes good sense most of the time but I wouldn't want to go near the M6/M5 junction in the rush hour. The toll is well worthwhile at that time of day.

The M42 can get clogged, admittedly, but not quite as often as the M6 south of J12.

Anyway, as I write, Happy Blue is no doubt tucked up in bed ready for an early rise tomorrow.

Edited by Avant on 11/04/2013 at 00:24

Actually Avant, we are leaving at 8:30am with the intention of avoiding rushhour traffic around Birmingham. My driving partner (in whose new Lexus we are going) had a long day yesterday so wanted a later departure.

A friend who did the same journey on Tuesday left Bournemouth at 4;45pm and was home within four hours.

OK, so left north Manchester at about 8.25am and arrived at our destination by 1.45pm which included a couple of comfort breaks.

The return journey was longer and harder due to increased traffic and a deliberate detour to visit a property owned by my driving partner. Nevertheless we were not such in heavy traffic.

The car is a Lexus 450h. £55,000 and full of kit of which the blind spot warning system was the most useful. It's a fantastic car for munching miles as we averaged 40mpg over 550 miles, which I think is superb for a limousine type vehicle. I drove home and whilst the car is at home on the motorway and open road, it felt strangely soulless and I think around town would be a pain.

I have not driven a car of this size and specification for a few years, so I wonder if equivalent Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Jaguar would do a better job of the long distance cruise with similar comfort, silence and economy whilst also involving the driver more. For the curious our average speed was over the 60mph which the SatNav was programmed for, but not too much higher.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 11/04/2013 at 23:16

Manchester to Bournemouth on Thursday - Avant

Glad you're home safely without problems.

I think that if you'd had to go on your own you'd have been very happy to have done it in the S-Max. I did Berkshire to Lanarkshire and back a few weeks ago and the Octavia vRS did a splendid job: what one is looking for on a journey like that is seat comfort, enough performance to accelerate quickly back up to speed, and reasonable economy (I got 38 mpg (petrol) on that trip).

As you know your car and mine cost a fraction of the price of that Lexus, and neither S-Max nor Octavia vRS can be called soulless. Although I'm of a similar age to your Lexus-owning friend, I still value driver involvement. But we're all different, and those who have plenty of money and put comfort and silence at the top of their list, as well as the reliability that we all want, will be happy with their Lexus.

Yes the S-Max would have done the job with the same economy and speed but not quite the comfort or silence but the enjoyment would have been more. The Lexus offers a turbo like level of acceleration which was very handy but I couldn`t warm to it. The cabin was a curious mixture of minimalism and fuzziness which made my S-Max a much easier place to sit and operate.

A lot of it is what one is used to though and I don't deny that an GS450h is an awesome machine. It's perfect for it's owner - a 69 year old captain of local businesses.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 12/04/2013 at 07:24