Mitsubishi Carisma - Intermittent misfire/hesitation at low revs - TimOrridge

Hi, I have a 2002 1.6 model which is recently suffering from a problem where it misifres for a couple of seconds mainly after applying throttle after a period of overrun. It is more noticable in top gear under 2000 rpm at 40-50 mph road speed. It picks up after and it is not a typical failed ignition type of stutter but more of a splutter which can be felt and impeded smooth progress. It also can appear (but not often) at lower speeds and lower gears again in the same rev range with low-mid throttle application. The car drives fine 99% of the time and is quite willing. I havent notice any drop in fuel or oil consumption.

.I have checked the air filter, intake box and flexi intake pipe for signs of leaks and read the codes of which none show. I guess it could be the spark plugs and leads but I thought i would check here for expert advice on what to try first.

I seem to be plauged with this type of fhe fault on older cars and never really found a solution. The only link between them is that I filled all them up at the same branded chain of supermarket petrol (not always same station).

Anything pleask ask because I will have missed something out.

Mitsubishi Carisma - Intermittent misfire/hesitation at low revs - TimOrridge
anyone? Fyi it has 2 coils on top of plug serving one cylinder with a single lead serving each other cylinder.