Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Exclusive - Unladen weight v kerb weight? - GT

Re: the above, I saw this in a forum:

"Kerb weight" is the total weight (mass) of an automobile when not loaded with either passengers or cargo. The "unladen weight" of a vehicle is the weight equipped and ready for operation on the road including the body, fenders, oil in motor, radiator full of water, with five gallons of gasoline or equivalent weight of other motor fuel.

What's the difference? My handbook tells me the ULW is 1802Kg and the KW 1877Kg. So, going by the definitions above, is the extra 75Kg the weight of an average driver?

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Exclusive - Unladen weight v kerb weight? - gordonbennet

I reckon the 75kgs would be the weight of fuel etc of a car ready for work but without the driver.

Citroen C5 Tourer 3.0 HDi Exclusive - Unladen weight v kerb weight? - RT

Originally, the UK's Construction & Use regulations define unladen weight as the vehicle without driver, passengers or payload but with full fuel tank and full oil, water, etc.

Under EC legislation, not all of which applies in the UK, the term kerbweight is used in sales literature defined as with a 75kg allowance for driver with full oil, water, etc but with fuel tank only 90% full - this figure is around 70kg higher than the old unladen weight but varies according to the size of the fuel tank and density of fuel, diesel or petrol. Kerbweight doesn't include any vehicle options fitted at manufacture or subsequently.

"Mass In Service" used now throughout the EC including the UK uses a definition as kerbweight but includes vehicle options fitted at manufacture but not subsequently.

Confusingly, unofficial codes like the NCC Towing Code use the term kerbweight but use the old C&U definition - it'll probably change the definition into line with Mass In Service when the next Towing Code edition is issued.

Simples! - not !!