Costco Membership - Chris M

We were members until around 15 years ago when we moved too far away to make it worthwhile. Costco will be opening a new branch in Southampton next month and whilst not exactly local, is close enough for me to reconsider membership.

Has the quality of the offering changed much? Apart from the cases of baked beans and other branded household items, their products were usually of good quality - we still have the garden furniture bought 20 years ago.

I'll be needing some tyres soon and purchased from them in the past, but in 15 years, the world has changed with a load of internet suppliers bringing competition to the high street outlets.

Any comments from long standing members?

Costco Membership - merlin

I've been a Costco member for about a year. In general they sell good quality products at reasonable prices. I much prefer them over Sainsbury's and Tesco for food. I haven't used them for tyres but probably will when I need some new rubber.

Costco Membership - Cyd

I had a look round the Coventry store as a guest last week. Lots of good stuff, but not everything is cheaper. We bought a Samsung washing machine from 365electrical a month ago for £430, they had it in Costco for £480 and you've still got to get it home. I also priced up Conti Sportcontact 5s for my car in 235/45/17 and Costco were £7 a tyre more expensive than Blackcircles and it's further to drive than my nearest BC fitter.

Overall I think it's a good place and I'll probaly join, but pick and choose what to buy there.

Costco Membership - BigJohnD

Great for buying stuff like washing and cleaning products and groceries with a longish shelf life (tinned stuff, olive oil, coffee, Weetabix, rice, pasta, &c.), or if you are having a large party.

If you have a large freezer, then buying bulk meat and fish, cutting into smaller pieces and freezing it is good value.

The booze is directed at small restaurants and hotels, and isn't good value, though mostly well known brands. (Check out Aldi for excellent Barossa Shiraz and Pouilly Fumé, and their Malt Scotch is just re-branded from well know Speyside distilleries.)

If you're looking for electronic toys and domestic appliances, check prices carefully as they're not always competitive.

I had a new tyre (unrepairable puncture) fitted last week while we did our shopping. Our Michelin Energy 205/55 R16 91V was £61 + £7 fitting, new valve, balancing, &c + VAT = £82. It would have been £84 fitted via Blackcircles and £92 at ATS.

Costco seem to stock only Michelins and Continentals.

Edited by BigJohnD on 30/03/2013 at 23:42

Costco Membership - Chris M

Thanks BJD, that's exactly the size tyre I'd be looking for. As I said in my original post, when I last bought tyres from them the internet retailers didn't exist. It appears they are still competetive, but not worth being a member just for a set of tyres.

Costco Membership - daveyK_UK

There tryes are not the cheapest around, but they are generally with £10-£15 of rivals.

Once or twice a year they will have an offer on purchasing 2 tyres or more with some additional discount.

Costco Membership - Hamsafar

I used to claim membership on expenses, and don't even bother with that now. The prices are not competitive and car stuff has become boring, whereas years ago, they used to have a few different 'must haves' every time I went. Screenwash and oil, car shampoo no longer competitive.Tyre prices don't seem as good as they used to last time I looked. If I had to pay the membership fee myself, that is no way I would consider it.. Maybe something to do with the £-$ rate?

Edited by Hamsafar on 31/03/2013 at 20:56

Costco Membership - daveyjp
Its years since we we to Costco as its a pain for us to get to. We do have a Makro card and its useful for bulk buying washing powder etc as they always have offers and we only need to buy it a couple of times a year. The last dishwasher tabs offer we took advantage of kept us going for two years, they worked out at less than 3p per tablet.

We also have a JTF which is a bit of a 'fell off a wagon' set up in that you can never guarantee what you need will be in stock, but they usually have Autoglym products at good prices.

Its also the only place I can buy Mer cream window cleaner in large bottles which is the best I have used for car and house windows.

Costco Membership - VR6

I'm a member. The costco website now publish their montly coupons on their website, which often have some good offers.

I joined as they sell Mobil 1 'New Life' oil for £29 / 5 litres, which is much cheaper than elsewhere.

Costco Membership - FocusLgd

I find costco to be very good. Was recommened by a friend. You can get good deals on meat but it is worth checking as I am not sure everything is as good a deal as it may seem.

Costco Membership - blindspot

tyres when on offer

engine oil

all meat and salmon

beer on offer

yogurt, pizza, queech

cooked chicken

if you live near its better

Costco Membership - BigJohnD
if you live near it's better

Agreed - it's my daughter's corner shop.