Mercedes Vito van - Contaminated fuel - GKF
Dear Technical team. I have had a major issue with some fuel I purchased just before Christmas. The end result was my Vito van was in the garage for a month ( only work vehicle my business has) and a bill for £3660. Initially the garage thought it was a problem with the injectors but after replacing them and having the same problem they had to go back step by step and discovered the entire tank was full of contaminated fuel. They have returned all the fuel along with a large jar which is full of a strange cocktail. The top third being diesel the next a silty dark grey (with bits floating inside) then the bottom third a light grey sludge like liquid. I have complained to the large company that I filled up at, explaining I bought a full tank from them one day broke down 40miles later and have been dismissed, I am in discussions with trading standards / citizen's advice ~ with little joy. I believe I have purchased the last 60litres of the tank at the service station and this is the route of my problem. PLEASE give me some advice I'm not after any compensation I simply want my garage bill costs back.
Yours very hopefully GKF
Mercedes Vito van - Contaminated fuel - injection doc
Try google bacteria in diesel tanks, quite a severe problem !
Mercedes Vito van - Contaminated fuel - Duncan112

I had quite a bit of experience with this whilst I was at sea both in fuel and lub oil- usual cause was bacterial growth at an interface between oil and water - cure was a cocktail of chemicals which isn't much use to you now.

It is possible that the contamination has been present in your fuel tank for some while and only manifested itself at the last fill up - did you run your tank unusually empty at any point.

Having said that if you could arrange for the fuel stations storage tanks to be indipendantly dipped with water finding paste to show if water is present - then if it is getting a sample of fuel from the interface tested would show if the problem was theirs or not. Establishing their co-operation might be difficult though.

Thanks for the replies, I've googled the bacteria problem. A coupe of things it says the bacteria can slowly build up in your tank and affect the performance of the vehicle and you will probably notice a increase of smoke from the exhaust. I didn't notice either of these prior to the breakdown. It also states that this occurs in the service station and some unlucky customer could fill up the contents of this sludge and debris.
Is this me clutching at straws or do I have a case ???
GKF
Bacteria doesn't cause smoke ! The car will either loose power or just stop ! The bacteria grows very quickly due to the 5% bio fuel so there is now a natural organic growth in diesel !
When you have bacteria in fuel it looks like old pond water with bits floating and the big giveaway is a very thin black film in the diesel filter.
Fuel system needs stripping and cleaning and a one shot anti bacteria agent adding to kill off the organisms.

www.findagarage4u.co.uk/Garage/99
Thanks injector Doc.
In your opinion does this normally occur in my tank or have I filled up with this bacteria based fuel at the service station. !!!!
To be honest it could be either, if your van ever sits around with a low tank , and you only need to pick up some fuel with above average bacteria in it and away you go !
If you know where you filled up and you suspect you got contaminated fuel then you need a sample and a visit to them but whether they would admit to contaminated fuel is another thing altogether