Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap

Hi

How long is it possible for a clutch to last? I know you are all going to say that it depends on how you drive, but if you are trying to get to most mileage out of it what would be possible.

In order to get the best life out of it, i use the brakes to slow down rather than changing down through the gears, i use the handbrake to hold the car at a stop, i don't slip the cluch and i try to drive as smoothly as possible.

So far the car has done 70000 miles (all by me) and i am on the origioal rear brake shoes and my second set of front pads.

Cheers

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - RT

On a carefully driven Vauxhall I'd budget for a clutch from 100,000 but could easily last double that - front pads at 60,000 - never got far enough for rear pads though - no idea about other brands.

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - madf

Son's12 year old Yaris is at 120k - original clutch (and battery)

Edited by madf on 27/03/2013 at 05:49

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - daveyjp
If you don't abuse them by holding on hills etc they will outlast the car..

My dad was a driving instructor and he only had one clutch changed, which was a warranty job at very low mileage. He had 7 or 8 Fiestas and all did over 100,000 miles.

I once read a piece on high mileage cars and 500,000+ miles had been achieved on a number of vehicles
Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - injection doc

If its a Freelander 2 then the flywheel will fail before the clucth ! Lots of owners on the freel2 forum have had clucthes at 20-30-40 k due to dual mass flywheel failure

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - Bobbin Threadbare

Mr B's Celica is still on its original clutch at 100k miles. My old Mazda 6 was still on the original one at 104k miles. I suspect that they will last a very long time if they're not punished!

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - FocusLgd

I would have thought 100K plus miles without any hassle.

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - thunderbird

Had a Golf GTi from new and the diff bearings went at 100,000 miles, hardly surprising since I towed with the car virtually every weekend during the summer months for 6 years. While a mate had thediff/gearbox out for rebuild I told him to fit a new clutch at the same time, daft not to for another £70 in parts. When he showed me the original I was stunned, nowhere near worn out despite having more abuse than the average GTi.

Landrover Freelander - Clutch Life - gordonbennet

Daughters Honda Civic 2.0S has just been replaced with an another identical lower mileage one previous owner car.

She put 60k hard miles on it taking it from 80 to 140k, still original clutch but was getting weak.

I'm stunned and impressed by the cars durability as is her elder brother, she mercilessly thrashed the living daylights out of the poor thing but it simply refused to be culled or even break down, clutch as with everything else more than capable.

She thought about other cars, the only other serious consideration was a Corolla T Sport or Compressor, but the right Civic came up and her previous good expereince won through.