Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - bruxy01

The dipped beam headlights keep blowing. When both headlights are working both of the bulbs blow within a day or so of each other.

When only one bulb is changed (doesn't matter which side) the bulb does not blow.

I have tried cheap (£1) a pair to expensive (£15 each) and I get the same results. I wear gloves when changing the bulbs and only do it during dry weather. The connecting points are all clean with no corrosion.

The easy option would be do only use one bulb but this is both illegal and dangerous so would rather fix the fault.

Help please!

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - Peter D

Error

Edited by Peter D on 18/03/2013 at 22:16

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - Peter D

What is the voltage across the battery when it is fully charged and the engine is at 3000 rpm. Do your bulbs fail soon after a speed bump. ? Regards Peter

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - Peter.N.

My thoughts as well. Bulb failure can either be caused by over voltage or vibration, you should have about 14.4 volts across the battery with the engine running.

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - TeeCee

>> Bulb failure can either be caused by over voltage or vibration

Actually with halogens undervoltage is also fatal, as the element doesn't get hot enough to cause the necessary vaporisation and deposition cycle to reinforce the thinner bits of the element.

That would also tie in with one being ok, but both together blowing due to the additional drain.

I'd be checking earthing points for an "iffy" one......

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - Collos25

My thoughts as well. Bulb failure can either be caused by over voltage or vibration, you should have about 14.4 volts across the battery with the engine running.

Or physically touching them with bare hands during a change but as the OP says he uses gloves hope he means the cotton type I would go along with you and say overvoltage .

Edited by Collos25 on 19/03/2013 at 12:28

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - bruxy01

Thanks for all the responses. Finally managed to get out and measure voltage. 12.5 volts with engine off and 14.4 with engine running. I also revved to 3000 rpm and voltage remained at 14.4.

Luckily for me, there are no speed bumps on my normal routes. I think we can rule out vibration and gloves as having just the one bulb is ok.

Any other ideas??

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - Collos25

I once had the same problem on a Honda Accord absolutely perfect voltages but I kept the meter on the car and sure enough out of the blue it spiked at around 18v causing the bulbs to blow not all just one headlamp bulb the answer was a new alternator which cured the problem.I am not saying this is your problem but you need to go for a drive with the meter connected and have someone watching it.

Peugeot 307 - Peugeot 307 (57 plate) headlights keep blowing - elekie&a/c doctor

Use branded bulbs from main dealer ,Osram or Philips.Good quality bulbs are very resilient to voltage highs.Most Fords have the ability to charge at aound 16 volts without any bulb failure issues.