Any - Narrowing down new car options - balleballe

I would like to pick a few people's brain in helping me find my next car.

I do around 17k a year which involves a daily commute to work which is 15 miles each way and a long trip 1-2 times a month

Current car is a 2004 Mazda 3 2.0l Petrol. I love the car but it's not as quick as i'd like for overtaking and the sound-proofing leaves a lot to be desired on motorway cruises.

Looking for a car no older than 2 years. Need good reliability (low maintenance), comfort and driveability. Economy is not a major factor but is always nice. I'm trying to avoid RWD cars as I live up north and it can get bad up here

I will be buying the car through BCA as I have a family member in the trade and looking to spend 13k max. I intend to keep the car for at least 3 years

Options so far include:

Honda Civic EX - 1.8 Petrol (Manual)

Honda Accord - 2.2 Diesel (Manual/auto)

VW Golf - 2.0 Diesel (Manual)

Lexus IS220 - 2.2 Diesel (Manual)

Lexus IS250 - 2.5 Petrol (Automatic)

Any - Narrowing down new car options - craig-pd130

How about a new-shape Volvo S60 with the D3 2 litre 163bhp 5-cylinder diesel? Great seats and excellent ride / handling / noise suppression (if you avoid low-profile tyres). Very quiet & relaxed cruiser at 80+ on motorways. And if you like instant overtaking grunt, you'll like this motor.

They've been around for 3 years now so quite a few good used ones around. Service intervals are 12 months / 18K miles.

My V60 with that engine gives me a genuine 47mpg at the pumps, which is excellent for a 1600kg car considering the huge grunt and go available (which I do use quite frequently ...).

Any - Narrowing down new car options - balleballe

I was considering the S40 but the engine choice wasnt great. Never thought about the S60 to be honest

Is that engine a Volvo one or a Ford?

47mpg is very good considering the size and weight of the car, is that mostly motorway?

Any - Narrowing down new car options - craig-pd130

It's a Volvo 5-cylinder diesel. My driving is 30% motorway trips for work, and 70% urban trips of less than 10 miles.

If your 15-mile commute is on mostly flowing roads with not much stop/start, you should easily get similar mpg.

Any - Narrowing down new car options - Ed V

Civic's have a harsh ride and noise issue according to many reviews I've seen.

If image isn't an issue, I'd go for one of the Seat range - they're punchy in some engines, and effectively the same deal as the VWs.

I'm not familiar with the new Hyundais, but I'm guessing they offer great value as with Skoda until the last few years.

Of course, you can't ignore the Focus for all-round competence, which produces an "excellent" for me. As quick as you want, cheap to maintain, well put together and great value after a few years.

How a car has been used is almost as important as what. Best go for privately (not a company car that is) owned, higher than average mileage and FSH, for best value.

Any - Narrowing down new car options - 72 dudes

I agree with Ed V.

I have driven both a 1.8 petrol Civic and a 2.2 CDTi. Ride is quite hard and fidgety.

Accord will be a much better bet, as would 2.2 diesel Lexus.

I'm also a Volvo fan but you won't find many new style S60s at auction I suspect. Your budget could get you a nice S40 or V50 with the D3 or D4 engine.

To your list I would also add the new shape Avensis, not so dull as its predecessor.

Edited by 72 dudes on 14/03/2013 at 15:55