fabia engine warning - oil overfill - beefeater
Had my Fabia 1.4 16v in last wednesday for an annual service, mot, brake fluid change at skoda dealer. £350.

Used the car little during the week, a couple of miles and this tues went up the road 130 miles or so. A day later a little into the return journey the amber engine warning light came on so I pulled into the services not knowing what it meant. I rang the AA and asked them and they sent a van, his computer wouldn't talk to it for whatever reason but he said it was overfilled with oil and so didn't want me to drive it, but didn't know if this was the problem. I got a tow back which is a another story.

I have booked it in to the garage, no space till next week.

My fear is that they have screwed the catalytic converter but would like to know if the warning light could mean this or what else it could mean. Is the service, the overfill just a coincidence?

Appreciate your opinion,

Alex
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - Civic8
Not certain of your car,but light usualy only comes on with low oil level,maybe wrong?
--
Steve
Thanks steve ,

it's described in the manual as 'Electronic engine management' light and "indicates a fault in the engine electronics system or exhaust system". It's not the oil light. It's in the shape of an engine and is amber, apparently you can slowly make your way to the garage if it comes on. I'm trying to preempt what the problem is..
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - Civic8
You will need a diagnostics check to find out the sensor that is playing up/faulty,Dont understand why you was told oil level over the top? when they did not know
--
Steve
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - Aprilia
Until the fault codes have been read any suggestions are just speculation.

If the oil level was way over the maximum then it could be the cause of the problem - oil may have got into the induction side (up the breathers from the cranckcase). Presumably it was pretty bad for the AA man to want you to have a tow.

Check the oil cap is sealing properly - a poor seal here will cause the light to come on.

I took it back and they drained the oil and reset the code. After 100 miles the light is back on with the same code. Any ideas?

The code is 17559 which I think is 'Long Term Fuel Trim Additive Air ; Bank 1 ; Range 1 : System too Lean'
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - Screwloose
beefeater

Given the recent excess oil circumstances, it might be oil contamination of the MAP sensor in the end of the inlet manifold or the exhaust oxygen sensor ["Lambda probe."] Evaluation of the live-data readings might show something.

Normally that code will mean that the engine is running too lean at idle and the ECU is having to fuel beyond it's expected range, over a long period, to keep the oxygen sensor happy. Slight air leaks through faulty breathers/gaskets etc. are the usual cause.

They've said it is the piston rings and nothing to do with the oil overfill. They say this is a known fault or a common fault.

Oil vapour coming past the piston rings.

The car has done 27000 miles.
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - jc2
They've said your engine is worn out at 27,000 mls.?????????????????????????
They've said it needs new piston rings, it has full skoda service history, 27000 miles.
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - Galaxy
I think you should be asking Skoda for a new engine, to be paid for by themselves!

fabia engine warning - oil overfill - David Horn
And taking legal advice. IMHO they haven't a leg to stand on, particularly since the AA man commented on this just after a service.
beefeater

Do you know your three-letter engine code and what year is it - still under warranty? The 100bhp versions often won't make it past 60K if they've been run on 95 octane unleaded; but 27K would be a new record.
Hi Screwloose,

Yes it's the 100bhp, 74KW, AUB. 2002 plate. Not in warranty.

27000 miles and needs piston rings is a disgrace. If this is a common fault these things are not fit for purpose.
beefeater

The AUB is one of the known problem codes. [Also does it in the Polo and Lupo if run on 95 octane.]

What octane were you told to use - normal unleaded or super? If anyone's got a good case for retrospective warranty it must be you. Have you owned the car fom new? Unless there's some negative latent factors here, a S/claims case would be pretty unlose-able.
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - martine
Beefeater,

This apprarently is a known problem with some Fabia engines ('01/'02). My mother-in-law has exactly the same issue and is faced with a £1700 bill or sell the car. I would be very interersted in emailing or talking with you (or anyone else with a similar situation) as I believe we have a good case for taking on Skoda - who so far have been less than helpful with me.

Please email me at martine@nildram.co.uk
fabia engine warning - oil overfill - bert-j
Post your query on Briskoda Forums at www.briskoda.net/forums/
Lots of experts on Fabias there