Power drop Golf GT 130pd - Timaru
My partners son bought a 52 reg with 80,000 on the clock last week. Every couple of days it looses power but if he pulls over switches off and then restarts the thing is fine again.

Due to mental health problems he is incapable of going back to the garage to get this sorted so I've been volunteered. Not wanting to go in blind can anybody suggest what may be wrong with the car.

Many thanks in advance, Jon.

Power drop Golf GT 130pd - Screwloose
Jon

Bit of a blind guess, but an overboost fault condition [VAG code 17965/P1557] is very common on all the TDi's and fits with the re-set symptom.

You may be going back to the selling garage to demand a refund if that's it. Many possible causes - but the nasty one [50% chance] is top-side of a grand. Was this why it was traded-in?
Power drop Golf GT 130pd - nortones2
Isn't this symptom also related to the MAF? Try a search on Forum search, and you'll find plenty of suggestions.
Thanks for the replies, I took it in this morning and they started work straight away, just had a call to say please 'phone at 5.30 to check that it's ready. So far a hassle free experience. Am I glad I'm not paying the labour charges!
Sorry to keep this one running but I had a call this morning to say the car is ready, after reading the replies on here and on the VW site I can find no mention of the inter-cooler causing the problem - guess what - they've changed the inter-cooler.

Is this a possible fix or am I getting my leg lifted?
Power drop Golf GT 130pd - Screwloose
Jon

The sister code of the previously mentioned over-boost one; [17964 - under-boost] also has the ability to cause the sudden default to "limp-home" mode that you're getting.

It can be set by a damaged intercooler leaking boost pressure, so it's certainly possible - if rare. Hose-clip issues on the pressure pipework are more common. Did the garage say that the intercooler was damaged?
Hi Screwloose, many thanks for your reply.

They said the inter-cooler was leaking.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but the fault has started to reoccur, except:

1) When it's on the diagnostic machine.

2) When the mechanics take it for a test drive.

I remember there were several threads running at the same time as this and on similar subjects, did anybody ever get to the cause of the problem?
Power drop Golf GT 130pd - John Doe
Over boost on these are mostly caused by either
A: Turbocharger wastegate actuator sticking
B: Boost control module
Power drop Golf GT 130pd - MerlinTec
Ask the mechanic what codes they are getting out of it and let us know what they are.
True to form the thing behaves impeccably when it's at the garage.

The service manager says they can find nothing wrong, so I suppose it's not throwing out any fault codes.

I suppose the only thing to do is wait for it to drop into limp home mode again and drive it to the garage without resetting it.
Power drop Golf GT 130pd - MerlinTec
if the light is on a code will be set turning it off then on again will on change it from a active fault to a stored fault (static to speractic in vw terms).