306 HDI top end engine very noisy - cipollina
My Peugeot 306 HDI (W reg/2000 105000 miles) still goes very well but the engine has gradually become very noisy. As I accelerate the noise suddenly disappears at 3200RPM approx and the engine sounds as sweet as it used to.Cam belt, idlers/tensioner,water pump and crankshaft pulley have all been replaced. I'm thinking of replacing the car soon,but may have a job shifting the car with the engine this noisy! Can someone please tell me the cause and the approximate cost of fixing it?
My first posting on this forum, can anyone help me with this please?
306 HDI top end engine very noisy - Ross_D
Its the injectors. Below 3200rpm these commonrail engines has what is known as pre-injection and above 3200rpm this is switched off (The fuel is delivered in one big lump). The common consensus seems to be worn injectors cause this noise, my local Peugeot tech tells me he is seeing more and more HDi's with these symptoms now.
Mine does it a small amount when the engine is cold, it gets quieter as the engine warms up. An Italian tune up or long motorway run seems to get rid of it completly for a few days.
All in all most of the older HDi's seem to do it, it hasnt harmed my engine yet so I dont think you have much to worry about really.
Ross D, Thanks for your response, checking on the internet confirms that you're right and the problem definitely is the injectors. I've been watching on eBay for any suitable replacement injectors, but I'm not sure if the injectors on the 90BHP engine are the same as the 110BHP engine. I know that the 110BHP uses an intercooler to boost power but can anyone tell me if the the same injectors are used on both engines?
306 HDI top end engine very noisy - Ross_D
Its a bit more complicated than that, there are not one type of injectors for the 90bhp and one type for the 110. Some were used on both, some used on either the 90 or 110 according to market or emissions level. For example, my 90bhp has 044 injectors (The last 3 digits stamped on the top of the injector) but the later 90 bhp and some 110's had 062 injectors. You could probably get away with using other injector types (eg 062 on a 044 engine) but who is to say they wil be any better if they are second hand. There are several places which will do recon Common rail injectors at around £130 per injector. You can even shop around and probably find new injectors for that price.
I have some 062 injectors I keep as spare at home, just in case!
There is also a large number (single digit) on the top of the injector where the electrical connection plugs in. If you get new injectors make sure this number matches the old injectors, as this is the injector class and is programmed into the ECU.
Any help?!
Ross - yes that's a great help, I've now been able to establish that I've got 044 injectors and that the injectors are Class 2. Without your help I would have almost certainly bought the wrong type of injectors - now I know exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks again
306 HDI top end engine very noisy - NeilT
Amazing, I have just been trying to work out this problem on my Citroen Dispatch HDi. It too has a pinking type noise which disapears at higher revs, and smooths out.

Mine also suffers a distinct lack of grunt compared to a friends 1.9TD version, I wonder if the injectors are shot on mine..... BTW, it doesn't smoke at all, and has done 128k.

--
Neil T
E90 BMW 320d M Sport, E91 330d SE Touring