Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - legacylad
I run a 6 year old non turbo 2.0 litre Subaru with 80k miles.Servicing is done by my local mechanic on a \'labour only\' basis, with myself providing all parts from a motor factors. To date I have used a variety of 10/40 semi-synthetic oils at every change,but in Halfords yesterday was recommended (and bought)their own 5/40 fully synthetic, currently on offer at £15 for 5 litres.
As an afterthought, will using this oil be detrimental to the engine, or even advantageous in the longer term?
Any thoughts please ?

Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - Dalglish
ya, oil still on offer. reduced from £30 for 5 litre to half(ord) price £15. finally got some yesterday. officially offer ended 5 January. but still going thru till at offer price! manager say price valid till stocks finished!
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - seeds
Relax,it will do no harm.
There is a view that fully -synth may be more detergent than other oils,thus it cleans the engine and gets dirty quicker when first used.
There is no reason that this should necessarily be so,you can make any oil as detergent as you like,which is why many of us have used deisel specific oil as a flusher for years.
What really matters is the A and B rating,thus,currently,you need an A3 rating for petrols,and a B3 for deisels.
If you have been silly enough to buy a new Ford lately you will find that the dealer who services the vehicle during its 3 year warranty period will have used A1 or B1 oil............
This is so that Ford can ring every last MPG advantage.
Getting rid of the adipose weight in the body shell,seats and trim is too difficult,you see.
And Ford are ,by industry standards,very good at weight control.
Dont even think about looking at VW geoup weights,youy may not beleive them.
The 1,2,3 ratings relate to engine wear resistance,and the margins are high,if I recall correctly B3 has three times the wear protection of B1.
Fords have always been the masters of cynical marketing,but recommending anything but A or B 3 after the first service is nothing short of criminal negligence.
Come on,HJ! i dare you to annoy Ford,like you've got it in for Renault!
Robin
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - DL
£15 for 5L or 5W/40 fully synth is a STEAL!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - Sooty Tailpipes
There is a school of thought, that it could cause seals to shrink or clean away deposits which are useful. I don't believe any of it, I think it's old wives tales from decades gone by. I'd get a few 'cans' if I was you, or you'll regret it next time you buy one.
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - Ben {P}
Oil seal damaged issue is no longer relelvant. I think it was casued by some of the early mobil one produced. Mobil became aware of this problem and changed the formula as a result.

chevron 5w/40 is £11 quid for 4litres at cost co if you visit there, that meets A3 and B3 standards.
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - Dalglish
dont i know it!
jbjagworth posted this offer around 5 january. i had searched 3 superstores for stock in vain.
then last weekend, found one store with about 50x5l packs left. as i said, manager and till and website confirm saleprices valid until sale stocks run out. bought 2x5l to see me thru two oil changes.
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - autumnboy
A friend of mine has got a Import scooby impreza sti, and his engine was rebuilt some months ago by a Scooby franchise and they used a 5/30 full synthetic oil. Don't know who's they used, but its on their invoice.
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - legacylad
Thanks all for the advice.
I shall use the fully synthetic at the imminent oil change.Hopefully it will preserve the engine and internal gubbins as least as well as, if not more than, the normal semi synthetic.
Subaru. semi or fully syth oil ? - rg
"lad"

The only downside is that fully synth seems to find the leaks in older vehicles more easily than semi. Maybe because it's that bit more "runny" (technical term).

But I guess that your machine has no leaks..

Every time Mrs g drives off vigorously from cold, or I have to join some fast traffic with a tepid engine, I give thanks that I use fully synth in both the Monterey and the XM

rg