Mercedes E-Class W211 - Marcos{P}
Having had my pride and joy for nearly six months now someone spotted what looked like oil streaks running away from underneath this morning.
I popped up to the dealers and they took it straight round put it on the ramps and said the fuel filter was leaking diesel and there was an oil leak that was dripping onto a coolant pipe and had damaged the pipe to the point where it was about to rupture.
They have given me another E-Class to get around in but I can't believe that if someone hadn't spotted the oil I may well have had a ruptured coolant pipe to deal with.
I know they have looked after me very well and that but surely in this day and age things like this really shouldn't happen or am I just unlucky.
Mind you after driving the older type E-Class around today it has shown me what a great car the new one is.
Mercedes E-Class W211 - Aprilia
So you have an oil leak *and* a fuel leak then?

It seems very odd that oil dripping onto a coolant pipe should affect it so badly; if it where really oil-soaked then maybe I could understand it. I wonder if the dealer was spinning you a tale?
Mercedes E-Class W211 - Marcos{P}
I can't see any reason why they would lie to me as they have given me a courtesy car which will cost them money.
Mercedes E-Class W211 - SjB {P}
Funny I should read this today.

A 51 reg E-Class went past me in the opposite direction yesterday, trailing so much white smoke that I had to stop for a few seconds, and wait for it to clear. The smoke also had the smell of burnt oil and burnt rubber, so goodness knows how much engine damage he's done. Rather more than a simple head gasket replacement, methinks.

On the subject of courtesy cars, a colleague has had a run in with the bodyshop repairing his new beemer (or rather not, as the workmanship is appalling). Yesterday, they offered him as a courtesy car 'A new Merc', or 'A new Vectra with a case of fine wine in the boot'.

He took the latter.
Sensible chap! ;-)