Oil changes - J Bonington Jagworth
I see that someone (in Saturday's Telegraph) has had the temerity to challenge HJ's advice about the frequency of oil changes (a braver man than me, evidently!).

The fool goes on to suggest that his Skoda Octavia is fine with its oil changes at 20,000 miles.

What I should like to know is:
a) who is this character, so we may avoid his car when he finally parts with it?
b) how much oil will be left to change when the engine starts to wear (any day now) and it starts consuming the stuff?

I remember when 1000 miles/pint was considered negligible...
Oil changes - Ben79
b) how much oil will be left to change when the
engine starts to wear (any day now) and it starts consuming
the stuff?

Shouldn't he have topped up?

Secondly, is it good if your car can drive 6,000 miles between changes and use about 2 drops of oil? Should I be using more oil?

PSA 1.4 1999, 5w40 Synthetic. 6k oil changes.
Oil changes - Tom Shaw
Some engines use oil between changes, some don't. It is just a characteristic of a particular engine and I wouldn't think it mattered either way provided you kept the level topped up and changed it regularly.

One of the problems of buying used cars instead of new (much debated on here) is that most owners will stick to the manufacturers service guideline on oil changes, so that low mileage two year old you buy might be still running on the factory oil and filter.
Oil changes - doug_523i
Judging by other threads, some people believe the manufacturers about changing cam belts every 80,000 miles :-)
Oil changes - googolplex
I've followed HJ's advice regarding cambelts, consumables and oil changes, through the telegraph and this site for a number of years now and this has served me well.
I still don't understand, however, why manufacturers continue to provide recommendations which are, if HJ is to be believed, potentially harmful to a car. Lets face it, motoring is the biggest drain on finances after the house. Shouldn't manufacturers be more up front about this.
I don't think consumers can be blamed for changing cambelts every 80K miles if thats what they are told to do by the people who should know. Neither should we ridicule them for doing so.

Splodgeface
Oil changes - Tom Shaw
Manufacturers know that most of their belts will probably go to the distance they recommend - no comfort to the minority who suffer wrecked engines because of premature failure. At 80k most cars will be well out of warranty and the expense will be down to the poor owner. Same with long oil change intervals, by the time the damage is done it will be long past the makers responsibility to rectify the knackered lump.

Splodgeface is quite right, the owners who happily follow the manufacturers guidelines should not be riduculed. Most owners take no more interest in the internal workings of their car than in their washing machines and cannot be blamed if they believe what the handbook tells them.

All in all a very unsatisfactory situation. I wonder what Hyundia recomend about servicing, don't they offer five year unlimited milage warranties?
Oil changes - Cliff Pope
It all depends whether you intend keeping the car for a long time, or passing it on quickly to some other mug. I have always looked after my cars and treated them as if I were going to keep them indefinitely, so naturally I change oil frequently as per HJ. If I were going to sell a car after a year I'd stick to the manufacturers' recommendations and let the next owner take the consequences.
Oil changes - Dizzy {P}
In my opinion, HJ doesn't always get it right. He is a motoring journalist, not a technical guru.

However, I would say that the advice that HJ gives is usually more reliable than the official propaganda put out by motor manufacturers because he gets a lot of it from people directly involved in engine design and manufacture, or those who repair cars for a living (which includes several contributors to this forum). Their technical judgement is more dependable than that of the manufacturer's very biased sales and marketing people.

Oil changes - John F
10,000m plus filter change with 10-40 semi synth has always served me well - one engine (Audi 100E 5cyl 140,000} uses 1 litre {max to min on d/stick] betweeen changes, the other, (Passat 2l ordinary 8valve] uses nine litres [212,000] - at 140,000 it was using 5 litres per 10,000.

Regarding cambelts, by all means change at 80,000 if you are nervous. I inspect them, and if looks and tension OK, leave well alone. Just listen for tension pulley whine - the Passat's needed changing at 160,000 but not the cambelt which looked as new.
Oil changes - Burnout2
I agree with Cliff - why should any measures designed to ensure the long-term wellbeing of a car be of interest to the average owner? Most people (and I'm one of them) have no interest in nursing a car into its six-digit dotage if they can afford to do otherwise- I'd get bored keeping any car for more than a couple of years.

My only interest is in minimising my costs during the period of ownership, without compromising the eventual resale value. In my case, that means getting those dealer stamps in the book at the specified mileage, and taking care of obvious scratches and stonechips. It also means washing about twice a year, and thrashing the thing with impunity once warmed up.
Oil changes - dave18
Benito -
Mine (now mother's) 309 using the same engine uses very little oil at 86k. Thats using Mobil 1; seemed to use slightly more of the pre-full-service 10-40 mineral stuff that was in when I bought it.
Oil changes - jud
The Skoda owner is not a fool, if he's doing 20k motorway miles and using very expensive long life oil I'm sure his motor will go well over the 100k mark. HJ's recommendations i believe are for those owners who want there motor to last up to the 200k mark,i have always kept to the manufacture service recommendations, and have never had any problems with any car.
30 years ago i new a rep who never changed the oil just top it up as required and got shut 3 years on.
".. if he's doing 20k motorway miles and using very expensive long life oil"

A big if! The point is that the manufacturers make this sort of assumption, too, and if they were being honest would say so. The majority of people who follow these directions will not look under the bonnet unless they have to, and are unlikely even to check the oil, let alone keep it topped up.

HJ's advice is simple and cheap to implement, and IMHO does more to preserve an engine than anything else - oil does a lot more than just lubricate.

When I called the man a fool, I meant (light-heartedly) that HJ probably knew more about the subject than he did.

Ultimately, I suppose it depends on whether you prefer to apply the minimum that the maker thinks you can get away with, or you like to look after your vehicle. It does rather call the value of a FSH into question, though...
Oil changes - Vin {P}
"i have always kept to the manufacture service recommendations, and have never had any problems with any car."

But that is the point. Manufacturers are arbitrarily moving from a 10K to 20K service interval, so the problems that didn't occur will be much more likely to turn up now. Oil hasn't changed that much in tha past half dozen years (since servicing went from 6K to 10K, equally arbitrarily.

Note as well, that the changes are (IIRC) not in all markets. It's just that ours has a large proportion of fleet users, so we get the 20K is OK message while the rest of Europe carries on with 10K services. Anyone able to confirm this?

V
Oil changes - Dan J
Note as well, that the changes are (IIRC) not in all
markets. It's just that ours has a large proportion of
fleet users, so we get the 20K is OK message while
the rest of Europe carries on with 10K services. Anyone
able to confirm this?
V

Yes Vin - The outgoing Vectra had 20k service intervals from 2001 onwards. In European and Australian markets the interval was from 15000 to 20000km, a substantially lower 9320-12450 miles range respectively.

Even more worrying, the ********s (insert appropriate word into the stars) at my local Vauxhall outfit charge extra for the mandatory fully synth oil so there are likely plenty of "20k service" motors out there not even running on the correct out after dealer services.

Anyway, why should Vauxhall et al care? Once the big problems start to surface the car should just nicely be out of warranty...

Safe driving
Dan J
Oil changes - Richard Hall
I suspect the manufacturers' major concern is to ensure that customers have the minimum possible contact with dealers. Plenty of examples on this forum where a car has gone into a dealer and come back in a worse state than when it went in. If manufacturers can keep customers from being annoyed by shoddy, incompetent, lazy main dealers, they might just replace their car with another one of the same make. Extended service intervals are one way to do this. Building reliable cars is another. (Vauxhall take note)
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
Oil changes - John S
Dan

That's interesting. My 2002 Astra, same 1.8 engine as the outgoing Vectra, has 1yr or 20k service intervals, but the book just stipulates A3/B3 oil - which would be met by most semi-synths, including Vauxhall's own brand. They say that it needs changing at 10k if subject to severe service (taxi, police work) unless fully synth is used.

I thought it was the new Vectra with the 30k interval that specified fully synth.

It's been mentioned in the motoring pres that these service intervals are very much UK only, and other markets use much shorter intervals. When I was in America last year my pal out there said that most American drivers drop into fast-lube shops for 3000 mile oil changes, at very low cost. Our Pontiac hire car had a service indicator which would apparently come up between 3 and 7.5k miles depending on useage! But then most American drivers consider 100k miles nicely run in.

It doesn't bode well for buying secondhand cars in a few years, especially as so many owners completely ignore the 'or one year' part of the service requirements.

Regards

John S
Oil changes - Toad, of Toad Hall.
It doesn't bode well for buying secondhand cars in a few
years, especially as so many owners completely ignore the 'or one
year' part of the service requirements.

A mate had a brand new ford Ka. For the first three years of it's life it did 1.5 miles in the morning and 1.5 miles at night.

He ignored the 'one year' bit of the service interval and did it at 10k.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Oil changes - JamesH
I suspect the manufacturers' major concern is to ensure that customers have the minimum possible contact with dealers.

When I had a temp job with a car company a few years ago, the opposite philosophy was true.

With falling prices causing unprofitable car sales, it was thought that money could be made from oil changes, tyres, accessories, etc. Maximising customer contact could also keep potential buyers informed of new models.
"..most American drivers drop into fast-lube shops for 3000 mile oil changes"

Interesting difference in attitude, and to my mind a lot more sensible. They seem to be more 'oil conscious' across the pond, possibly because it's a domestic product and there is plenty of advertising - are you a Quaker State man or a Pennzoil one (or a Valvoline woman perhaps)? Here, an oil change seems to be something that only gets done with a service.

I'm surprised the dealers don't object to this continual extension of service intervals, but I daresay they charge twice as much for them when they arrive...
Oil changes - GrahamG
I can't speak for the whole of Europe, but in Spain, where I live, it seems manufacturers have moved in the same direction as the UK. Renault stipulate servicing, which naturally includes an oil change, to be necessary every 30,000 Km (18,000 miles). However, they do say that a "maintenance service" every 9,000 miles is recommendable.
GG
Oil changes - jbs
Didn't see the Telegragh review so I cant comment on why you should call the guy a fool unless he wasn't going to check his oil levels or change the oil/service when directed . The engine is designed for extended servicing and is NOT sealed for life it will consume oil and will indicate that service is required.

For info for readers unfirmiliar with this type of engine the guy was referring to was that his Octavia and is fitted with an engine when used in conjunction with long life oil can be driven up to 20,000 miles/2yrs before an oil change/service is required. This engine is typical to the similar units fitted in the VAG group cars. e.g Passat /Audi /Seat

The engine will be fitted with sensors that determine the condition/level of the oil and will indicate to the driver when service is required. These senors measure things like oil temperature change over time.

This means that oil change may be requested at much lower milages than 20,000 miles. The 20,000 milage is a max figure the management system will probably indicate service at much lower milages typically, according to Skoda Customer services.

The engines equiped for extended service are built to higher tolerances than similar VAG fixed service units manufactured for conventional/synthetic oils, its not just a case of installing the sensors and the longlife oil.

For interest the Diesel VAG extended service interval equiped engine has a higher max milage to the petol unit of over 30,000 miles.

Owners of vehicles fitted with this type of petrol engine can opt for fixed servicing of 12month/10,000 miles if the owner so wishes.

John St
Oil changes - Dave_TD
>>Needs changing [twice as often] if subjected to severe service, ie taxi work.

????

My oil covers the same distance in 6 weeks that most people do in a year, the only difference being that I only start my engine from stone cold 42 times every 10,000 miles, not 365 times! (Or a lot more than 365 times, if you consider a cold start morning and evening with commuting.)
I would have said that my oil is subject to LESS severe service over the 10,000 miles that it's in my engine, not more. Which should mean I shouldn't have to worry about changing it any more frequently. Am i right?
Would it make a difference if I had a petrol engine with 20,000 miles service intervals, or would the same still hold true?
Oil changes - PhilW
Well, for all the words on this thread I don't care!! 4 cars in our family (son, daughter, wife and me). 3 have done over 100'000 miles (wife's 70K) and I change the oil on each every 5k and the cambelt every 50k. (Easy to remember figures on odometers?)Doesn't take long and semi synth oil is only £6-£10 for 5 litres in France, Purflux filters a fiver. We all do 10k to 12k per year so it ain't much trouble, or cost and I feel I am doing something to keep the cars going. I'd swear my old BX diesel runs smoother and quieter when it's had an oil change, and when I clean it! And when I ask it it says it feels much better after an oil change - yes I talk to it! Especially after long journeys!!
May be different for you high mileagers! - but I'm sticking with these intervals!
"..it says it feels much better after an oil change"

So does mine! It has hydraulic tappets, and they take a bit longer to shut up when the oil has thinned out...

(yes, I know it's thicker when it's cold, but what matters is how much of it drains off when the car is put to bed)
Oil changes - nick
You might be right, Dave, but maybe not (how's that for sitting on the fence!).
Your engine wear per mile will certainly be a lot less as you have fewer cold starts, but I would have thought the life of the oil (in terms of miles) would be much the same. Unless of course cold starts have detrimental effect on the oil. They certainly do on the engine, but do they on the oil? I suppose the engine runs dirtier when cold and so the oil may become more contaminated more quickly but I would have thought many of these contaminants would either be given off when the oil got hot, or would be picked up by the filter.

I'll continue to change the mineral oil and filter on my old moggies every 3000, and the fully synth and filter in my jeep every 7500. I've always done this with my cars and so far (touch wood) I've never had an engine wear out on me despite some very high mileages on some of them.

I remember an article in a car mag back in the early 80's where a high mileage cavalier engine ( i think around 200k)was stripped down and examined. This engine had had it's ordinary mineral oil changed every 3000 and the wear on it was the same as a 60k engine. That one article persuaded me. It costs so little to do, especially if you diy, that I can't see any reason not to. I'd even do it to a new car.

Oil changes - Nev
If you want to know what affects oil performance take a look at Chris Longhurst\'s Engine Oil Bible:
www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu....l

He details all the factors that affect the quality of the oil in the engine and basically says that you should change the oil as frequently as you can!

You can never change the oil too frequently!
Oil changes - John S
Dave

I'm quoting what they say, and I believe that long periods of idling are considered 'severe service' - interesting. There's no doubt that your car benefits from reduced cold start wear, but many taxis do not get long periods at steady speeds on the motorway, but lots of acceleration and decelleration, which was one of the Ford tests for engine longevity, quoted in a recent Telegraph article.

The problem with high mileage cars, as an 80k a year Driving Instructor I know said, is that he's already having a service and oil change every 6 weeks on the car, and he wasn't going to go in for 3 weekly oil changes, even if the makers said he should. Equally, the cars are running fine at 120k when they get traded in.
Regards

John S
Oil changes - lezebre
Am i right?

>>

You know you are Dave!

Although the consensus was that diesel engines are a little more resistant to cold starts, all engines and their oil wear out far more quickly during the warm up period.

Many of the record breaking distances recorded have been covered by taxi engines.

Oil changes - Mike H
Just my two pennorth, having read with interest yet another thread on oil changes!! My old Saab 9000 has had 12000-mile changes throughout it's life - now at 200,000 with no mechanical problems except head gasket at 148k - but it has never needed topping up between services even at it's current mileage, although checked regularly for need. I kept meaning to go to 6000 changes but never got round to it.......
Oil changes - eMBe {P}
In all the replies, I have not seen one shred of evidence to prove that oil changes at 20,000 miles have proved harmful. There are many urban myths around regarding car maintenance and cam-belt changes and oil changes are just two of them.

For example, the only people I have personal knowledge of (directly or friends of friends) whose cam-belts have failed are those with VW/Audi or Vauxhall engines and then only very soon after they had a NEW cambelt fitted!

Oil changes and their effects can only trully be measured by thorogh scientific tests and not stories told here.

As to who benefits from frequent oil changes in the first 60,000 miles of the car's life - it is likely to be the owner who has bought a car 5 to 10 years down the line after those first 60,000 miles plus on the clock. Next time you visit a scrapyard, just check the mileage on the cars and you will find many "uneconomic to repair" cars which have good engines and gearboxes, but have failed the MOT safety checks.

As has been mentioned before, the American luxury Cadillac "Seville" has service intervals at 100,000 miles!

Incidentally, the American habit of frequent "lube" services is sustained (and has become a habit) only due to its historic origins, not because the service is necessary.
Oil changes - Mark (RLBS)
My car in the Staes, a Pontiac, also has service intervals of 100k. However, it gets oil changes around every 4000 miles.

I don't think americans put oil changes and servicing together. Certainly it seems to be the prevailing sentiment that you get oil changes frequently.

Its just going to the garage for a service which is every 100k.

So its difficult to know since their cars generally never go long enough. The difference here would be that 100k servicing would tend to also mean 100k oil changes.

I would agree that it is the later owner who will benefit from frequent oil changes. Therefore I guess people who kep their car for a long time do it for themselves, and those who will sell their car do it to ensure they have something valuable to sell.

Mind you, I do also think that engines last so long now that everything else falls apart long before the engine fails.
Oil changes - lezebre
....frequent oil changes....I guess people who kep
their car for a long time do it for themselves, and
those who will sell their car do it to ensure they
have something valuable to sell.

>>

The complication here is that the advantages for engine logevity are largely hidden and latent, and will not become apparent until months or years after the resale value has been calculated and paid.

Agree that the real downside for the long term owner is that keeping the engine as sweet as possible may not necessarily put off the day when it will become the property of the scrapman.
There are many urban myths around regarding car maintenance and
cam-belt changes and oil changes are just two of them.
For example, the only people I have personal knowledge of (directly
or friends of friends) whose cam-belts have failed are those with
VW/Audi or Vauxhall engines and then only very soon after they
had a NEW cambelt fitted!

Interesting M.B. I've just bought a Rover 416 with 110k on it.

Would you recomend a new cam belt for it or would I simply be wasting my cash?
--
Oil changes - eMBe {P}
Depends on how much the car is worth, and if there has been any previous cam-belt change. You need to consider the costs vs benefits. Also, ask if anyone knows of any instances of Honda 1.6l engine am-belt failures and at what age/mileage.
"I have not seen one shred of evidence to prove that oil changes at 20,000 miles have proved harmful"

Not too surprising, as they've only just appeared! As discussed above, the drawbacks are only likely to manifest themselves when a few more miles have accrued, but why not change it more frequently? It's cheap and easy, and common sense that it will help preserve the engine.

IIRC, the American who bought a P1800 Volvo 36 years ago and is still running it on the same engine 2,000,000 miles later, ascribes its longevity to frequent oil changes...
Oil changes - M.M
MB,

I can't say you are wrong for certain but what I know is that I can't afford to be part of the (20K oil/100k cambelt) experiment.

All I can say is the most distressed customers I've had recently are the two that ignored the 50K cambelt advice and then paid out nearly £1000 each for repairs following failure (one 16V, one TD).

On the matter of oil the worse condition engine on my books is a TD with a mere 120K on the clock. Once it was up to about 24K the guy started stretching the oil change intervals from 6K to perhaps 9K and even 18K then 24K on one occasion. He wonders why it leaks oil from every pore and fills up the air filter with oil on a regular basis.....I bet it's bore wear which is so likely to be the result of those missed changes. Now he faces a bill of over £1500 to fit a decent exchange engine. This vehicle could have covered another 100K without this trouble if looked after.

Lastly a call the other morning to a no-start on a car with a 16V hydraulic tappet(?) engine. Spinning over really freely but no firing. 99% sure this was the tappets jacking up with sludgy old oil because these folks refuse to have changes at sensible intervals and use any old stuff to top up.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

MM
Oil changes - eMBe {P}
MM : which make were the engines in your three examples? <<< two that ignored the 50K cambelt advice and then paid out nearly £1000 each for repairs following failure (one 16V, one TD), and no-start on a car with a 16V hydraulic tappet(?) engine >>>
Oil changes - M.M
MB,

Belt breakages on Vauxhall and Ford.

Worn engine Peugeot.

No start Vauxhall.

MM
Oil changes - dave18
People can be funny. Mum's Metro has done 45k. Oil last changed at 30k, maybe 35, but the manufacturer's intervals are 6k and the oil itself is now filthy. Mum does plenty of short journeys e.g. hammers the car to the school and back from stone cold - a journey of a mile - the rushes to college - another 2 or 3 miles. It does get a run every so often, and I quote 'it sounded a bit rough on the motorway yesterday.' I checked the oil - nothing. So, when we were having the discussion about which car she wants to keep, between the Metro (P reg) and the 309 (K reg, 86k, frequently serviced in the past and every 5k by me,) she seemed very surprised when telling me mine was 'quiet and a lot smoother.' (Hers now makes a strange rattling noise; 'underneath' the normal idle noise you can hear a funny rattle that sounds like a cross between a rattlesnake and..) ok its tappety, but shouldn't be at 45k.
But yeah, frequent changes are good - I pushed my first car way too far, happy that it wasn't (at that stage!) using any. But the difference a service, and 5k later an oil change, amde to the Peugeot was surprising.
But yeah, frequent changes are good

I'll drink to that!
--
Oil changes - James_Jameson
I guess that the reason manufacturers are extending service intervals is to please and thus attract the fleet market...this keeps the pence per mile running costs down for the (approx. up to) 4 years that the car will remain on the fleet. What happens once the miles clock up after it's left the fleet is of no interest to the fleet manager, it's the next owner(s) who need to be concerned.

This country is a very company / fleet-driven market. I would worry if I bought a used car that's been on a fleet - just changing the oil at big intervals is not good for long life, and also consider that the oil level needs to be checked in between services also - how many company car drivers can be bothered to do that?
Oil changes - Ian D
James you are right, the 20k intervals are to make fleet running costs (1 to 4 years fleet life) look rosy, and are b***** all to do with longelivety of the engine or improved engine/oil technology over the last 2 years.

The problem with this country is that unless you do oil and filter changes yourself the stress of taking the car to a dealer/garage often outweighs the possible benefits of frequent oil changes, especially if you aren't aiming to keep your car to 150K+.

One of the good aspects of the US is the drive through lube places that will do an oil and filter change for less than $20 inside 10-15 minutes, if this was possible over here more people would do it. However, having spent 2 years in Arizona, if you drop in for an oil and filter change you often have to oppose their efforts to change anything else they suggest (where they really make their money).
".. if this was possible over here"

It is. A national tyre centre does it for £15 (sometimes £10!) for sub 2-litre petrol cars. I've had it done when I've been too lazy to do it myself (although I can excuse myself on the grounds that it also costs less). I was pretty sceptical, but the oil was OK for my purposes (Duckhams Hypergrade) and the filter was a branded one with the necessary relief valve.

BTW, I recall a conversation with a garage owner who had a Passat on the ramp. I enquired after its health, and he grumbled about VW owners who thought that their cars were so reliable that they didn't need oil changes. "Black sludge" he said, "always gets them in the end".
Oil changes - eMBe {P}
You can get the fast "lube" service at reasonable prices now at Kwik-fit and National Tyres. Natiional
www.national.co.uk/main/offers.asp?offer=specials%...p
are offering
Duckhams Hypergrade Oil and Filter Change ~ only £10 or
Duckhams semi-synthetic QXR Oil and Filter Change ~ only £15

I see that no one has yet managed to answer PatriciaX's query at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=91...1
regarding oil for her Mondeo Diesel.
Oil changes - PatriciaX
In the US it costs virtually pence (or cents) to have an oil change. My hubby almost has a cardiac arrest when he's reminded of the cost over here. He said that in Texas, it used to cost about $15 (about a tenner) to have it done at a Wall-Mart "quick-fit" type outfit and you could provide your own oil if you wanted. It was a "while you wait" service also so you could pop in when you wanted and even watch them do it.

Shame that isn't over here; it would make a mint if it was.

Patricia
x
Oil changes - madf
"Shame that isn't over here; it would make a mint if it was"

UK land prices, UK business rates, UK planning timetables, UK insurance costs, UK waste disposal regulations and the very ineffiecient UK distribution systems (due to applalling road congestion) make it very expensive to operate any business premises in the UK relating to waste/vehicles.

Why does everything cost more in the UK? For the above reasons.. and there are vested interests in keeping it so...
madf
Oil changes - eMBe {P}
>>> He said that in Texas, it used to cost about $15 (about a tenner) to have it done at a Wall-Mart "quick-fit" type outfit and <<<

and

>>> Why does everything cost more in the UK? For the above reasons.. <<<

It costs roghly £10 to £18 for a basic good branded oil + filter service at Kwik-fit (no limit specifed) and National Tyres (5 litres max)!!
Oil changes - John F
To settle the argument we really need the opinion of a organic chemist. I thought engines lasted a long time not just because of better metal [cylinder walls and piston rings] but also because of the longer and more indestructible molecules in modern oils. I have been led to believe that these molecules gradually get denatured over time. Cheapo oils don't have them at all.
I'll stick to 10,000 plus filter [Comma 10-40 semi-synth, 1.50 per litre] plus allow at least an hour for the old sludge to drain out. My Passat is way behind the 2million Volvo at only 213,000.
Oil changes - borasport20
I'll stick to 10,000 plus filter [Comma 10-40 semi-synth, 1.50 per
litre] plus allow at least an hour for the old sludge
to drain out. My Passat is way behind the 2million Volvo
at only 213,000.

John

is that Comma X-tech ?
if so, where are you getting it from, because it costs more like £2.40 a litre anywhere I can find it

Mike
I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
"Cheapo oils don't have them at all"

Wot, no molecules? :-)

At least you're aware of the need to change it, while I fear some people just drive until something goes wrong! I assume you also check the level between refills - what worries me about 20k intervals is that those who follow them will assume that nothing has to be done in the meantime, and not many engines would go that long without consuming a significant amount of oil.
20,000 miles? Bah! - THe Growler
How bout the examples on this link?

AMSOIL I believe it was who first came out with synthetic motor oils about 30 years ago:

www.performanceoiltechnology.com/oilcolorlubricati...m
20,000 miles? Bah! - andymc {P}
For another perspective, have a look at this link:
www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-247...l

Can't say I'd go for this myself just yet, but it looks like an interesting development. For those who don't want to read the whole thing, here's the overall comparisons and the summary paragraph from their site. I'm pasting a few things out of order here:

"The field trials include daily commuting within municipalities as well as long distance, highway kilometers. A total of 10,000 hours in small engine trials and an additional 20,200 hours (173,000 kilometers) in automotive trials. Automotive trials were conducted in Colorado environments ranging from altitudes of 1,525 meters (5,000 feet) to 3,660 meters (12,000 feet). Ambient air temperatures ranged from ?28.9°C (?20°F) to 43.3°C (110°F) and at humidities ranging from 8% to 95%. Pre-1975 automotive applications included an air-cooled 1600 cc 1971 Volkswagen, a 1970 5 liter Ford Mustang, and a 1966 6.4 liter Ford Thunderbird. These older vehicles were selected since they lacked emission control devices such as onboard computers and catalytic converters. More recent additions include: a 1990 2.2 liter Chrysler Cirrus, a 1996 8 liter Dodge Ram truck, a 1998 5.2 liter Dodge Ram truck, a 1998 Jeep Wrangler, and a 1990 4.2 liter Chevrolet APV

Canola-based motor oils were evaluated in bench trials, small engine trials, and in automotive applications. In general, reductions in oil consumption, fuel consumption, engine operating temperatures and engine wear were universal in all engine trials.

The (vegetable-derived) oil has superior properties for flash point, fire point, viscosity index, 4 ball wear, acute toxicity (trout toxicity test), biodegradability, and coefficient of friction. The vegetable oils were inferior to petroleum for pour point (-30 deg vs. -35 deg), oxidative stability, and low temperature cranking power. More recent studies have addressed these problems and preliminary data indicate they are solvable concerns.

A canola-based motor oil was found to be a feasible alternative to conventional and synthetic petroleum motor oils. Higher oleic fatty acid content was important to functional properties but due to current costs, a conventional fatty acid profile was used in the test.

Physically, the canola motor oil was superior to a comparable petroleum oil in five of seven categories. In terms of environmental concerns, the canola-based oil met EPA standards for biodegradability, marine safety, exhaust emissions, and fuel economy.

Additional improvements in the canola-based motor oil are possible and solutions are expected to improve deficiencies to make the oil more functionally superior to current petroleum products. Cost concerns may limit functional improvements but environmental concerns may overcome some cost constraints. Improvements in functionality and environmental safety appear viable within cost constraints."

Data summary provided by US Naval Facilities Engineering Service Center.

Oil changes - HF
Bcause of this site, I have realised that I have to do certain things within a certain time, to look after my car. Which means, a big thank you to all who have been helping me.
HF
I think you can broadly put motorists into one of two camps: those with some mechanical sympathy who know that their cars need occasional maintenance, and those who neither know nor care and who either wait for bits to drop off, or hand over all responsibility to someone else.

The main advantage of belonging to the first group is that your car will thank you by going wrong less often, and you will probably appreciate the whole process more as a result.
Oil changes - HF
JBJ,

I agree with your categories!

However, at the moment I do, I think, fall between them. I have no mechanical knowledge, at all, hence my (often stupid) questions to the site -

At the same time, I don't wish to remain in category 'B' any longer, and that is why I'm asking questions rather than waiting for bits to drop off, as you said!

This leads me to say thanks to all of the people that realise my stupidity in relation to cars, and who, nonetheless, are willing to give me help and advice. Thanks to you all :)
HF
Oil changes - nick
Your questions aren't stupid, HF. Not knowing something doesn't equate to brain power. We all had to start somewhere, and all of us with a head empty of automotive knowledge. The fact that you have the wit to ask questions puts you in category 'A'.
I would call people in category 'A' 'motorists', and category 'B' people, 'car drivers'. A big difference in my book.
Happy Christmas!
Oil changes - HF
Hi Nick,

Thank you for that, it's much appreciated.

Happy Christmas to you too!
HF
Oil changes - Number_Cruncher
Hello all,

The reason why most damage is done at start up is because there can be metal to metal contact between rubbing parts.

The crankshaft and camshaft bearings in particular are designed to run *without* the shaft touching the bearings - but only when the shaft gets up to speed. This hydrodynamic lubrication depends only on having lots of oil in the gap, and having the shaft spinning quickly - the oil pressure makes virtually no difference!

When you are running the engine quickly, there should be zero wear of these parts, the only contact occuring when you start or stop the engine.

If you end up with particles in the oil which are comparable in size to the shaft / bearing gap, the you get abrasive wear - this is the type of wear that you avoid with frequent oil changes. Crank and cam bearing failure is therefore usually associated with either frequent starting and stopping or neglect on modern engines.

The piston / bore lubrication is more complex because of the intermittent motion and sealing requirements. The stopping and starting, high loading, and the corrosive nature of blowby gases conspire to make the top of the bore wear more heavily than the rest of it.

In some cases, the engine may appear to use no oil - this is usually the result of piston blowby products replacing the oil which is burnt. If the piston rings did remove every last trace of oil, they would seize up themselves - some must be burnt each time the cylinder fires. So, after some mileage, although the dipstick level looks good, it's not all oil!

number_cruncher
Oil changes - Happy Blue!
So, in the light of the above - advice please...

New Hyundai Trajet Diesel auto coming next week. I expect it will do about 10,000miles pa. It will be serviced every 10,000miles or 12 months but I understand and follow the recommedation to change oil more frequently.

After running it in for say 3,000miles, what programme would you recommend for oil changes and what type of oil? Synthetic or semi-synthetic. And what about Millers stuff - what does that do?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Espada,

As your new car is under warranty, the advice I would give is to meet, or improve upon your manufacturer's stated interval and lubricant quality.

While there is nothing I love more than doing engineering experiments :-), finding the limits of oil change intervals on my own car certainly isn't one of them.

How many £50 oil changes equals the cost of a new engine?

number_cruncher

"£50 oil changes"

Or £15 at National Tyre! (Semi-synth, admittedly, but OK for most of us, especially if changed more frequently as a result).

I'm not disagreeing, I hasten to add - even at £50, it's cheap insurance.
J,

I think insurance is a good analogy to use.

If you change the oil and filter yourself, there are at least two big advantages, and some smaller ones:

1) A lot of garages have but the one oil tank - everything gets a drink of the same. By doing it yourself, you are control of the quality of the oil and the filter.

2) By doing it yourself, you are in control of the quality of the workmanship. Loose or overtightened sump plugs, old washers being re-used, and incorrect oil levels are not unheard of.

3) The cash you save, you may choose to fritter on more expensive oil, or invest wisely in fine wine :-)

4) Getting under the car occaisonally allows you to assess its condition independently, and spot incipient faults and failures.

number_cruncher
Quite agree. I do use National Tyre when I'm in a hurry, but I do prefer to do it myself for the same reasons as you - even though it usually works out more expensive! Changing your own spark plugs (or at least inspecting them) is another innocent pleasure that provides a useful confidence check.
"..manufacturers have de-specified the permissible amount of degradation and contamination of the oil"

Sounds as though you know something, HJ. A scandal in the making? I think we should be told!
Oil changes - Mapmaker
>A scandal in the making?

Probably not, given that it was the manufacturers who provided the original specification. They're perfectly at liberty to change their minds as to what quantity of swarf they are prepared to accept in the oil in their cars.
Oil changes - Dalglish
... quantity of swarf they are prepared to accept in the oil

swarf?
- how does that get past the filter?

Oil changes - Mapmaker
that needed a smiley too, sorry!
"They're perfectly at liberty to change their minds"

Indeed, but I'm sure they'd prefer it wasn't common knowledge that they had changed them to ensure that your engine wears out more quickly!
Oil changes - edisdead {P}
For info folks, National Tyres have changed their policy on cheap oil+filter changes. In order to qualify for the £15 semi-synth offer you now have to present a voucher from the newspaper, but they accepted a print out of the advert on their website from me. I assume this applies to other special offers as well.

Ed.
Oil changes - henry k
For info folks, National Tyres have changed their policy on cheap
oil+filter changes. In order to qualify for the £15 semi-synth
offer you now have to present a voucher from the newspaper,
but they accepted a print out of the advert on their
website from me. I assume this applies to other special
offers as well.

The ad in my paper says
£15 Hypergrade
£20 Semi Synth
£25 Fully Synth
Up to 2300cc and max of 5 litres

Halfords again selling Fully Synth 5litres 5W40 £29.99 buy one get one free. Offer ends 5/9/04.

Also 580l roof box for £190.
A loss-leader no more, then. Shame.

Thanks for the Halfords tip, though, Henry. I just might pay them a visit...