garage door - t.g.webb
I'm remodelling my garage which includes the provision of a higher entrance and I liked the idea of a remotely operated door.

It seemed to me that a sectional door was a better engineered job than the cheaper roller door.

Does anyone in HJ-land have any experience of either type and, importantly, of any suppliers of door or electric operator which have given good service or, alternatively, have been a complete pain?
garage door - Cardew
Not sure what you mean by a sectional door.

I fitted myself a cheap chain driven door opener - for a single 'Up and over' door. I bought it from Wickes (Model 203004) about 4 years ago and it has worked perfectly since. IIRC it cost less than £100 - including the canopy door converter.

The only problem was fitting the door converter to my existing garage door - a vertical track type - and it took some bodging. I was intending to fit one to the second door of the garage but decided against it.

My pal in the USA has what appaers to be a very similar system fitted to his double door and it has worked without fault for 20 years.

I know people in this country who have had estimates for these doors to be fitted profesionally and the estimates have been amazingly expensive. It is rip off territory.
garage door - Mark (RLBS)
I am not sure what you mean by a sectional door either, but if you mean one that looks like a traditional up & over when it is closed but is made of a number of panels laid and hinged horizontally, then that is what I have, and what I would recommend.
garage door - Cardew
3 months ago I couldnt spell ?profesionally? but now I is a professional!!
garage door - Pat L
tgw

I've got a sectional door (roll up type) and it works really well, and it's nice to come home and drive straight into the garage.

If you live in the Midlands I can put you in touch with a mate of mine who'll do you a good job as well a good deal. He's based in Birmingham.

As previously mentioned, you can spend silly money on elecrtic garage doors, so shop around!

Regards

Pat
garage door - amar
hi ......would you mind putting me in touch with your friend who fits garage doors for a reasonable fee.i'm about to buy one from wickes, but i haven't got a clue about them and i notice they are quite expensive to fit. if yourself or your mate would like to contact me directly my number is removed - DD.Thanks.
garage door - Martin Wall
IMO really a very very bad idea to post your telephone # on internet sites - I recommend you email the moderators and ask them to remove this......

{As Martin has suggested. If anyone can help 'amar' then email one of the moderators, and we will forward the info onto him - DD}
garage door - Chris M
amar - not sure if you are buying a door or an electric opener from wickes (or both), but I fitted one of their doors about two years ago and it was easy. I'd say if you can put a shelf up straight and level, you could fit a door. I found the instructions clear and easy to follow. For the money (£220?), the door was excellent value.
garage door - Mondaywoe
Just double checking! Is your door the type that has no overhead track and sticks out a foot or so when in the open position? (Canopy?) I have fancied an opener for some time but a few people have told me that the openers are not very successful with canopy type doors. Your's seems fine though. Can you describe how it is fitted to the door?

I have an elderly aunt who has recently had an opener fitted. It works a treat - but that's a door with overhead tracks. Bit of a saga really - she left her Metro parked outside the door with the car in gear - got in, switched on and kaboom! - nice Metro shaped indentation in garage door! She got a new door off the insurance and paid a bit extra to get the opener. Metro was practically unscathed - just tiny scratches on bumper. I was amazed!

She claims her late husband always told her to leave a car in gear with handbrake off in the garage (although this was just outside the door!)He reckoned it was bad for handbrake cables to put HB on in garage! Possibly.....but disastrous for garage doors!

Any tips on fitting an opener to a canopy- most welcome!

Graeme
garage door - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

"I have an elderly aunt who has recently had an opener fitted"

I think I'm going to faint...................
garage door - Cardew
Graeme,
"Just double checking! Is your door the type that has no overhead track and sticks out a foot or so when in the open position? (Canopy?)"

Exactly that. The runners for the door are mounted vertically.
The opener I bought(Wickes) lists 5 types of Door. My one required a 'Wickes canopy door converter' This is a large bracket that bolts onto the inside of the door.

The operating principle is a chain driven trolley running along a T rail. An arm connects the trolley to the canopy door converter. This arm pulls the door to open it and pushes to close.

The instruction leaflets are pretty good and as I said earlier the fitting of the converter to the door was the only awkward bit. I am certainly not skilled at 'do it yourself'.

C
garage door - Cardew
Just noticed on the instruction booklet that Wickes have a freephone helpline 0800 317847 who would give you more information. The system is German made by CWI electrotechnics and had a 2 year warranty, other DIY stores might stock the same system.

C
garage door - t.g.webb
Thanks for all the replies to this, since I live in Norn Iron Wickes and so forth aren't available to me. However I've since had a chat with a very helpful guy who is too busy to do the job himself but who gave me useful information about the better people to go to. Is it any surprise that they're the more expensive?

By the way, the roller door is the one which has narrow horizontal panels and rolls up to form a large toilet roll above the lintel. One I saw looked like it would rattle in the wind. The sectional door comprises wider sections and when open it lies flat under the garage ceiling - each section has a roller which rides in a vertical, then horizontal track. The roller door panels ride up in a groove or slot.
garage door - Mondaywoe
Thanks, C
I'll investigate at local Wickes.

Graeme
garage door - Vansboy
The roller shutter we had fitted on our old place was THE best part of the extension we built!

Not just a 'toy' but well worth the investment, when it was a wet n windy night, on your return home!

Have a word with Gary at Garage Doors (Luton) Unit 12 Langley Terrace Ind Est Luton, LU1 3XQ 01582 720 573.

They cover a wide area, offerd good advice & a friendly service - old family established company.

No connection, other than as a satisfied customer.

VB
garage door - pmh
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28674&...e

www.garagedoorautomation.com/

No commercial connection, other than personal friend of 45 years!

--

pmh (was peter)

garage door - BobL
I also have one of these Wickes kits. It has been trouble free but intial installation took time to set up properly. Just one bit of advice make sure your up and over door and its tensioned spring and end rollers all working 100%. Probably better to spend £80 on a firm to come out and service it before fitting the Wickes kit. Otherwise you may be putting unnecessary strain on the motor if the door is stiff to begin with or the steel cable may also slip off the end of the rollers
garage door - TheOilBurner
A quick question to you guys with the automated doors, how do you secure the door? Do you still have to get out and lock/unlock it?

Sorry, if that's a daft question, I just can't quite see how it works! :)
garage door - Dave N
If you want a higher entrance, then a canopy door and canopy door opener may not be for you, as the opener hangs down a fait bit when open. You also need a good door mechanism to start with. Best ones are the roller shutter type. Quiet, lock properly, and don't rob you of width or height, as long as you've got the clearance for the 'roll'.
garage door - JH
TOB
it's "locked" when it's down in that it's connected up to the drive mechanism. I supposoe if you exerted enough force you could break in but it's as secure as a standard garage door.
JH
garage door - Vansboy
As you have a remote control - as small as a key fob, you just blip as you approach, or leave, to operate.

There is a wind down mechanism too - inside, on ours, but as it could be mounted externally (for extra clearence), you probably had a secure option there, if the power failed.

& as it was linked to our kitchen inside, we chose the insulated version, so that much more secure, if someone tried to force it.

VB
garage door - TheOilBurner
I see. Ta! :)
garage door - mri01
I'm remodelling my garage which includes the provision of a higher entrance and I liked the idea of a remotely operated door. It seemed to me that a sectional door was a better engineered job than the cheaper roller door. Does anyone in HJ-land have any experience of either type and, importantly, of any suppliers of door or electric operator which have given good service or, alternatively, have been a complete pain?

Sectional doors are good and generally come in three thicknesses, single skin which is the same as a normal steel door thickness, 20mm insulated and 42mm insulated. All doors offer the same benefits regarding draught prooing as long as your floor is reasonably level. I would recommend a Hormann door as they are built to german engineering specificatons but are made in the UK. A good supplier is www.myersgaragedoors.co.uk. I would also recommend the Hormann Supramatic garage door opener.

Edited by mri01 on 22/06/2010 at 20:52

garage door - Armstrong Sid
Sectional doors are good and generally come in three thicknesses, single skin which is the same as a normal steel door thickness, 20mm insulated and 42mm insulated. All doors offer the same benefits regarding draught prooing as long as your floor is reasonably level. I would recommend a Hormann door as they are built to german engineering specificatons but are made in the UK. A good supplier iswww.myersgaragedoors.co.uk. I would also recommend the Hormann Supramatic garage door opener.

You've replied to a question which was seven and half years old. I suspect the OP has solved his problem by now

garage door - pmh3

Overt advertising by Mr Myers!

Apparently trading from a residential address - website only registered in 2009!

Domain name:
myersgaragedoors.co.uk

Registrant:
Ian Myers

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

garage door - Armstrong Sid

Overt advertising by Mr Myers!

I suppose it makes a change from messages about Ro1ex watches and increasing your size in 2 weeks.............

garage door - mri01

In Fact I. Myers is registered as a trading entity in the UK and has been since 2009 after working for many years in the garage door industry.

garage door - Hill_Amanda

up and over garage doors offer such garage door servicess if you want automatic garage doors which are remotely operated.

visit http://www.upandoverdoorsltd.co.uk/home.php

garage door - FP

Another free-loader.