Dealership Woes... - FastShow
I posted this earlier today on another forum I frequent and one of the regulars suggested I post here for more advice. So, any ideas:

Bought a new car a year ago now, everything with it was perfect and I didn't have a spot of trouble with it in the first 10k miles at all aside from a buzzing rear speaker which wasn't ever a huge issue as it was under warranty.

As 10k miles drew near, I booked it into the 'local' dealership (by local, I mean the nearest one which is a good 25 or 30 miles from my house) to get it serviced and to fix a minor imperfection on the passenger leather seat. No problem, said they and toddled off to do the work.

Picked the car up after the service after having wandered aimlessly around town for a while due to their refusal of a courtesy car for servicing work and found they'd arranged to order a new seat cover and speaker to replace. This was slightly irritating as they knew about the speaker and could have ordered it well before then, but hey, these things happen.

From there it went down hill and I'll just bullet point the rest because otherwise I'd literally be here all week typing:

* 5 weeks of constant chasing with not one courtesy call from the garage to let me know what was going on with the parts ordered
* Loads of phonecalls to SEAT headoffice to get the dealership chased and the parts brought in
* 6 or so weeks in, the parts were finally arrived and I booked the car in for the work. The speaker was swapped as was the seat cover. To say the new seat cover looked rubbish would be an understatement of epic proportions. It was baggy, creased, didn't fit the seat and just looked absolutely naff. The service manager even had the audacity to tell me it was supposed to be like that and there was nothing he could do as, "All cows were different" so the seats would never match.
* The speaker started to buzz again within five minutes of leaving the dealership
* I found they'd bust all the electric motors on the seat a couple of days later
* 3 or 4 weeks later they got another seat cover in for me to look at and decide whether I wanted it fitted or not. It looked just as bad as the last one and they could offer no assurances that it'd be better fitted, so I declined. They then decided I'd have to have the area manager to look at the car to decide where to go from here
* Loads more phone calls and another 2 or 3 weeks later, I get a visit from the guy who all but laughs at the workmanship of the recovering and gets the dealership to order in a brand new base and tells them they need to investigate the speaker problem. I was also promised a decent courtesy car for the duration of the work
* Parts finally arrived after loads more chasing, during which time the dealership never contacted me at all. Spoke to the dealer, sorted out a courtesy car and turned up a week later (the earliest they could get me in) to be told my courtesy car was a 1 litre Suzuki Swift - a far cry from the 1.8T I'd took in. This was also despite the promises of a courtesy vehicle of 'comparable standard' to my own
* Finally got it booked in for the work to be done last week and they've swapped the seat cover and speaker again only for it to be almost identical to their last effort. This is some 18 weeks after the first lot of work was done

And basically, for those of you still awake, that's where I am now - a car that was knackered by the dealership and one that seems will never be fixed. Not only that, but I've had to visit the dealership 6 times so far, so that's 350-odd miles on the car (vehicle running costs are listed at 51p/mile, so it ain't cheap either) and a good 12 or so hours of my time wasted, if not more. The annoying thing is, the car was perfect before I ever let the dealer near it.

That's it - just wanted to vent really.
Dealership Woes... - The Watcher
I'd suggest your next visit should be to the appropriate Trading Standards because the dealership is giving you shoddy workmanship by the sound of it.

I'd also contact the Retail Manufacturers Institute or other appropriate trade body because it just isnt good enough. They have had PLENTY of time and effort to put things right but are failing miserably to do so.

I think you also need to claim some out of pocket expenses.
Dealership Woes... - PB
Here's your best bet:

Phone Seat UK. Ask for the name of the managing director, say you are a customer and want to write to him.

Write the letter in your own words. Basically:

I like my Seat and would recommend it to anyone.
I am upset because I have had exceptionally bad service and the problem is still not fixed.
I am a reasonable guy but this is too much.

The problem is (cut and paste your message is fine)

I want you to have Seat head office provide me with an equivalent car, collect the existing one and bring it back fixed.
Ignoring my time and frustration I want you to additionally compensate my for the wasted 350 miles @ 51p, £178.50.

I am sure you would agree this is not the standard you would find acceptable for Seat. Please help restore my faith.

Yours, Fastshow.
HJ can you help? - Godfrey H {P}
Yup PB, just the right approach. I would also add get it fixed PDQ. Don't mess about with phone calls and verbal exchanges. I wonder if HJ might be able to help?
HJ can you help? - volvoman
Agree with all of the above. In addition, confirm everything immediately in WRITING to the garage (e.g. service manager/owner/dealer principal etc. ) - it's amazing how conversations are forgotten and recollections suddenly changed when things like this happen ! The more accurate detail you can give, the better - don't worry about boring anyone since the aim is to set out all the facts in a manner which they can't argue about later. Then follow the advice given already, explaining that you will publicise the whole affair if a suitable remedy (including compensation) isn't provided within a
'reasonable' timescale.

Keep us 'posted' & good luck !
HJ can you help? - FastShow
Thanks for all the advice so far, it's certainly getting to the point where drastic action is going to be required. I'm expecting a phonecall today from the area SEAT manager, so I'll keep you informed as to how it goes with him.

As it stands, I'm well past the 'fix it damn quick' point and want out of the car. Like I said in the initial post; that's a shame since I loved every second of it up to that point, but now I just associate it with hassle.

The ultimatum I'm going to put to them is fairly simple - I'm never likely to buy a SEAT again after this nasty little business, either sort me out a great deal on a Leon Cupra R, or as soon as everything's sorted, I'll flog the current Cupra and buy with another company.

I think in view of everything that's happened, forcing the dealer to give me a slightly above average price on my trade-in and a slightly below average purchase price on the Cupra R isn't hugely unreasonable IMO. The only slight problem with this is that I really don't want to give this dealership any more of my money, since the patently don't deserve it.

Anyway, we'll soon see, I dare say they'll have different views.
Dealership Woes... - Steve S
Totally agree with PB's approach, had success with this method.

You might also like to throw in the fact that there is no point in paying top dollar prices with main dealers if they are not going to help when things go wrong!

Good luck and please keep us in the loop for any progress you make.
> You might also like to throw in the fact that there is no point
> in paying top dollar prices with main dealers if they are not
> going to help when things go wrong!

I should probably point out at this stage that the vehicle wasn't purchased from said dealership, although I have bought accessories from their service department and have always had it serviced there.
Dealership Woes... - Steve S
That should not matter as far as Seat UK are concerned.

Fact is you bought a new car from a main dealer, you then sought a local main dealer to do the servicing.

All "top dollar" prices - so where's the point in paying that sort of money if they shrug now? Ask the MD if that is the kind of service he himself would accept.

Go get 'em.
Dealership Woes... - RickyBoy
Is this the fella you should be stalking?

SEAT UK has appointed Kevin James as the company's new managing director. He has worked with the Volkswagen Group for 14 years and will leave his current position as joint managing director of Volkswagen Financial Services UK on 2nd April, 2001. James will take over from John Abbott, who has been MD of SEAT UK since July 1999.

Best of...
Brief update...

Just had them on the phone again, they need me to go and have a meeting at the dealership to discuss what we're going to do. Only problem is, as I've mentioned, the dealership is a good distance away from me and there's no way I can make it during their opening hours without taking time off work - something I'm not prepared to do.

So, they've gone back to big boss dude to decide where we go now. Oh joy.
A quick update for anyone who cares:

Right, had my meeting with the SEAT area manager who seems as fed up about this whole thing as I am. Showed him the seat which he immediately agreed was poorly fitted, also showed him the speaker and he immediately spotted it wasn't the speaker that was vibrating, it was part of the door. So he spotted in 2 seconds, the dealer had missed for months and months.

Anyway, we got down to what they were going to do to sort this out and I basically said I wanted top trade price for mine and a Cupra R at trade price plus VAT - either that, or SEAT will lose me as a customer forever. He's now gone off to discuss that with the dealer and I'll hear how that goes some time today or tomorrow.

And that's it for now...
Dealership Woes... - Scott
Sorry to hear about your problems - I've had trouble of a different nature with a SEAT dealer. My car had a problem from new which it took the dealer/manufacturer months (and four visits) to sort out, and there were items missing from the specification that I had been told by the sales staff would be included.

I reached the same stage as you, asking for some kind of deal to let me out of the car - I was told they would not take it as a trade-in, and if I wanted them to buy it back I'd lose over £4000 on a 6-month 8K-mile car costing under £15K new - this despite the fact that the only reason I wanted to change was their fault. Despite my calculations that the hassle involved has cost me something into 4 figures, the best they (manufacturer and dealer) have come up with is a low cash offer, slightly increased if I take it in the form of free servicing (hardly likely, as the last thing I want is to be committed to them). By stalling me for so long, they have managed to trap me in the car without any offer of appropriate compensation.

I see court action.....
Another update, though I'm not sure anyone's that interested ;)

Righty, update time:

Just got off of the phone from the SEAT area manager who has basically informed me that the original dealer have pretty much refused point blank to take my vehicle as part-ex or work any sort of deal on a Cupra R. No huge shock, since that's exactly the level of service I've come to expect from them, but it'd have been nice to thought they'd like to put in some modicum of effort considering all I've been put through, but there you go.

So, next step is to get the work done by someone who; a) is actually remotely capable of doing it and; b) has the slightest interest in the customer. Step forward MK SEAT who I've just had a nice long chat with and who will now be taking over the repairs. They've also very graciously agreed to sort me out something like the deal I'm after on a Cupra R which is going well beyond their call of duty IMO.

As it stands, I'm mighty annoyed that I've had to drop another dealership's problems onto MK, but I'm assured it's no problem. I'm also very upset that the original dealer seems as though they're going to get away with this very lightly. However, I will be chasing for - at the [i]very[/i] least - my out-of-pocket expenses plus time. Petrol alone comes to ~£130 and once you add the many, many hours I've wasted on this, I'll be requesting a reasonable amount. If it takes legal action to extract this from them, then I'm perfectly happy to push ahead with that.

Finally, SEAT themselves have offered to help out on any car change also in terms of some sort of goodwill payment. Again, whilst this is good of them, I'm upset that everyone else seems to be paying for the original dealer's cock-up apart from the dealer themselves.

I'll update again after we're all sorted (I hope).
Dealership Woes... - bernie
Fastshow,

yes I am interested in the outcome.I had a similar experience many years ago with a Saab dealer.I bought a 900 turbo 16S off them and as it was a year old bought a warranty off them.

So many things went wrong with that car,they must have made a fortune from the warranty work.I got so fed up that I asked the warranty company for a printout of the work that had been done.

On one occasion they told me that the car needed a new Air Mass Meter.Guess what ! they told me they had fitted one and they had but they had told the warrany company they had renewed the Engine Management Computer at three times the price.

On another occasion just after a service,the car failed to start.On looking under the bonnet I discovered that they had swapped batteries.I knew because the battery they had fitted had the terminals the wrong way round and the live lead was pulled taught to reach the terminal.Of course they said the battery must have got mixed up with someone else's.

These were just the minor things that went wrong ,there were many more,so I did as you did and approached them with a view to them taking the car back.Absolutely no chance.

In the end I sold the car and now warn people off this Saab main dealer whenever I can !
Dealership Woes... - CM
Although not had problems like this it is interesting to hear your experiences. As for MK Seat stepping in, it goes to show that the different level of service that the dealers offer is amazing. Presumably it is down to different policies amongst the franchises. Also judging from this MK Seat will have gained themselves a customer. I send my car 35 miles to get a service rather than use the dealer 200 yds away.
Dealership Woes... - volvod5_dude
Fastshow, why would you want to buy another Seat if you have had all this trouble, sounds like you are throwing good money after bad!
Fastshow, why would you want to buy another Seat if you
have had all this trouble, sounds like you are throwing good
money after bad!

Because the car itself is superb - it's the best car I've ever owned, or rather was until the dealer got hold of it.

Like I've said, it's an ultimatum to SEAT more than anything; sort me out, or I'll buy elsewhere. It's kind of one last chance for them to come good, although the dealer in question has chosen to throw that back in my face.

Besides all of that, what other 210BHP car with 18" wheels, Brembos and all sorts of other fun stuff can you get for £17k?

In short - car superb, dealerhip crap.
Dealership Woes... - Soupytwist
Fastshow,

I take it you've seen the www.seatcupra.net website ?

Just thought you might be interested (& they might be in your tale of woe).
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Fastshow,
I take it you've seen the www.seatcupra.net website ?
Just thought you might be interested (& they might be in
your tale of woe).

Yes mate, been posting there for years now. My story's in the Dealership section and the guys there are baying for b*****, demanding a name-and-shame. :)

Interestingly, the Milton Keynes SEAT Sales Manager posts there (as 'rally-man'), which is how I came to end up in discussions with them. Now *that's* customer service.
What's the point in spending £17K if you cannot get decent support from the dealerships. Still a waste of money and unnecessary hassle in my view. Buy a secondhand T5 a much better car IMO. I find my local Volvo dealership (6 miles down the road) extremely helpful, why travel 35 miles to a dealership.
Dealership Woes... - T Lucas
I think Fastshow likes his Seat,not a Volvo.
Ah well, I tried!