Is this better deal than i10? - stunorthants26
My local Daihatsu dealer has gone and muddied the waters a bit.

They have a pre-reg Sirion 1.3 SE auto in metallic with delivery miles for £1600 under list. They beat the Hyundai dealer on p/x valuation (£2900) so they could match the Hyundai for monthly payments and basically, it would cost just £1.50 more a month to have the Daihatsu now.

Is that a better deal than the Hyundai or does someone reckon we could get a new i10 for that money from a dealer? A new i10 auto with metallic is £8900 - whats the chances of getting £400 off?
Is this better deal than i10? - runboy
When it comes to initial cost and two cars are in the running I would consider:

Which of the two do you actually like and can live with

What about resale value? No point going for the Sirion if it ends up being worth a grand less in three years time

Will the colour make a difference (if you can't choose colours)

Running costs - tax, insurance, petrol, servicing, how close is the dealership etc

To my mind, the i10 would be more popular in 3 years.....but then would that make it loose more money because there are more on the market......

Good luck!
Is this better deal than i10? - movilogo
I think i10 offers 1.2 L max engine where as you can get 1.3L (or 1.5L) with Sirion.

IIRC, Daihatsu now also offers 5-yr warranty & they are still manufactured in Japan.

Ultimately it's personal choice.

The Sirion is a bit quicker but not much, but also a bit thirstier but not by much.
Road tax is a bit more in the Sirion too but then it is a slightly larger car and has the delivery miles.

We are driving them back to back on Sunday so that will hopefully give us some indication of any differences. My misses said her biggest worry is not being able to make up her mind which she likes most.
She is also interested in a brand new i10 auto in red which comes in at the same price as the other two.
5 year warranty UL miles warranty on the Sirion aswell.

I drove a 2004 Yaris auto and I rather liked it, gearbox was lovely and it was just fast enough.
Is this better deal than i10? - runboy
Did the previous model Yaris have the MMT for an auto like the new shape does, or was it a traditional auto?

Reading Toyota forums there are a fair few negative comments about the MMT box.
No, previous model had a very decent 4 spd auto - why they then fitted an inferior solution is beyond me, would have been better off with a CVT than the MMT.
Is this better deal than i10? - Rob E
Hi Stu,

I am a 2004 Charade owner, but took a Sirion for an extended test drive this summer and was very impressed. Felt planted on the road, and everything very good quality. Excellent spec. My parents have a 2002 Yaris, which has the auto box that's in the Sirion. In 6 years of ownership there's never been a hint of trouble, and the 'box is lovely and smooth.

I've not driven, but have sat in, an i10. To me the switchgear and quality of the dash plastics are far inferior to that of the Daihatsu's.

Personally I think the Sirion is a better looking car (especially with alloys in the SE spec). IMO the Hyundai looks a bit frumpy.

Do bear in mind that the Sirion has rear parking sensors, which the i10 does not. Furthermore, you may prefer that the Sirion has an AUX port for your mp3 player, so you can actually plug your mp3 into it, whereas on the i10 its an mp3-compatible cd player, so you can't actually plug your ipod into it (unless they've changed the spec with the new 1.2?).

My experience of Daihatsu dealers is that they are excellent. Not wishing to demonise Hyundai, but their service facilities do not come up particularly highly in What Car surveys. The i10 is in very short supply, so could parts be a problem? The Sirion is well into its production run now, (and one of few small cars that's still built in Japan) so I'd bet on 5 years faultless service as a minimum.

My money would go on the trusty Daihatsu every time... but push them for an even better offer. Let me know how you get on. I rather fancy the Sirion 1.5SX...
Right boys and girls, ive had a newer, much better offer on the table for the Sirion.
He has gone down to 4.35 flat rate on the finance, taken £200 off the Sirion, px remains the same, plus as with the Myvi, we are now going to add £500 cash as a deposit.

This has brought the monthly payments for the Daihatsu down to £132 over 48m, £20 pm shy of the Myvi. Now the Sirion is starting to make sense. The price difference over the 4 years was £2006, now down to just £866 extra to have the Daihatsu. If you include the fees in the monthly payments ( they are in both cases a balloon payment at the end of 4 years), the difference is only £18 pm.

So, now the question is, are the two extra years of warranty, mp3 socket, parking sensors, alloys, galvanising and all the other detail bits worth the extra?

Im thinking is prob is - making the dealer think he had lost out and then getting a suprise visit this morning ( my Charade has to go in to have something looked at anyway so was there to book it in ) seems to have focussed his mind somewhat!

I take it the BR would be happier with this? :-)

I still like the Myvi, but I think that £20 extra a month rather than £45 represents the true extra value of the Sirion over the Myvi.
Is this better deal than i10? - jbif
He has gone down to 4.35 flat rate on the finance

That is about 8%+ APR.

Note that just a few minutes ago, BoE has cut base rate by 50%; down from 3% to 2%.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7764741.stm
"The Bank of England has cut interest rates by one percentage point, from 3% to 2% - the lowest level in more than half a century"

Is this better deal than i10? - movilogo
So, now the question is, are the two extra years of warranty, mp3 socket, parking sensors, alloys, galvanising and all the other detail bits worth the extra?

If you ask me, I'd say yes. IIRC, Sirion is still manufactured in Japan (you can check this via chassis number). Though I wonder significance of parking sensor in such a small car!

Also, never calculate anything based on flat rate. It is a con. Always ask the APR%.

roughly, APR% = 2 x flat rate%
Is this better deal than i10? - ole cruiser
I wonder significance of parking sensor in such a small car!>>

Small cars go into small spaces, and parking sensors (to my surprise) are great!
My brother laments their absence on his Honda Jazz, but they are pricey to retrofit.
Is this better deal than i10? - ole cruiser
making the dealer think he had lost out and then getting a suprise visit this morning seems to have focussed his mind somewhat! >>

As no doubt also have this morning's SMMT figures (Daihatsu registrations down 51.97% in November compared with 2007, down there with Mercedes), the VAT cut and the probability of a further interest-rate cut this afternoon. (And, by the way, 32 Perodua's were registered in November, so your Perodua man's figures if I recall them correctly look a bit "rosy".)
>>are the two extra years of warranty . . . . and all the other detail bits worth the extra? >>
Yes, especially the warranty if you are paying the car off over 4 years.
Truth be told, the Perodua salesman annoyed me with some mis-information so dodgy sales figures wouldnt suprise me. Rosy indeed!
The Sirion is already registered, even though it has just 50 miles on the clock so it wouldnt affect those figures. It was registered in Sept, then put in showroom, presumably to meet a target.

Im pretty certain now that the price gap has been closed up significantly, the Sirion is the best option.
Is this better deal than i10? - oilrag
"I take it the BR would be happier with this? :-)"

In the car choice sense, yes.

But personally I would keep the current car and put the money monthly into an account as security against possible hard times.
I apologise for writing that. But its starting to worry me in giving an opinion without stating it.

All the best ;)

Edited by oilrag on 04/12/2008 at 13:12

She signed up today for the car, finance all accepted. She is over the moon with it to say the least.

She plans to pay off the finance in about 18 months time rather than go the full 48 months as her wage will allow her to do that easily.

She also has said quite firmly that the next car she buys will only be needed if her Sirion blows up or becomes beyond economic repair. Given Daihatsu's reliability record, that will be around about when she retires!

I apparently am allowed a new car anytime after my Charade hits 100k, so with its 35k currently and my 15-20k annual miles, looks like Im stuck with it for atleast 4 years!

Still dont mind though. I had a loan car old shape 08 Fiesta yesterday while my seized handbrake linkage was being sorted ( only one more corner and every brake in my car has seized in succesion this winter ) and it just highlighted how much interior space there is in the Charade against even a bigger car, let alone one the same size.

Im starting to think that we may become a Daihatsu family, they just seem to suit our motroing needs so exactly.