Long Heavy Vehicles - R75
Well it looks like the UK will not be getting road trains any time soon.

tinyurl.com/6yfqr9

Long Heavy Vehicles - b308
Good! Our road system doesn't suit the HGVs we allow now, let alone allowing three coupled together - those HGVs should be on the railways where they belong, with just smaller, local delivery vans.
Long Heavy Vehicles - Screwloose
those HGVs should be on the railways where they belong with just
smaller local delivery vans.

Yes; that'd work. Instead of all those artics going to Tescos, they could send it to the nearest railyard. If it ever got there; they could use 3-ton trucks to move it 15 miles to the store.

That's ten 3-ton trucks for every 6-axle artic load. 10 driver's wages; 30 loaders wages; pensions; stamp; holidays and personnel management costs. 10 vehicles to buy, fuel, tax and run. 10 road spaces taken up; 10 lots of noise.

So when you go to Tesco and their food costs have more than tripled - but there isn't any because track maintenance over-ran and the goods train is still stuck in a siding....

Edited by Screwloose on 09/06/2008 at 17:46

S-L - "piggy back" then, then and just use them for lcal delivery - I strongly believe that most of the motorway HGVs could be accomodated on the railways, but only with major investement on the railways - that would make our roads a lot safer - with regards to the staffing, you have forgotten that railways don't need as many staff as a load of lorries, but even so whats wrong with creating a few "useful" jobs - the Post Office used to do it and it worked well and was much more efficient than using lorries for the long distance work - problem is that the railways of the time weren't reliable enough - interestingly enough they are starting to use the trains again...

Also I think I'm right in saying that most major supermarkets use regional distribution centres and one or two are already using trains for some of their long distance work, so it seems that it does work...

Why are you so negative, then?
Long Heavy Vehicles - Screwloose
Why are you so negative then?

Because it's a nonsense. Just look at the near-continuous lines of lorries on all our motorways and work out how many thousand trains a day would be required. Probably 100 times the current amount - on a system already at near-capacity.

>>I strongly believe that most of the motorway HGVs could be accomodated on the railways.....

I strongly believe that I should be a millionaire and never have to work again - But I too am sadly mistaken!

As for RoyalMail, they used to do some of the sorting on the trains, this worked well, until they had to modernise and used mechanical means to sort mail, this meant one of the main reasons for using the trains disappeared. ParcelForce have tried a few times to use trains, they used to fill standard ISO containers with parcels and send them from down south up to Scotland etc, but numerous cases of the boxes getting lost in sidings etc put an end to that, they also tried piggybacking using special trailers that were lower in height and could be picked up by a large fork lift type machine and loaded onto a carriage, this also did not last very long as the trains were often late and it was quicker to send one driver from Scotland, one from London and they would both drive 4 hours and meet in the middle, then swap trailers and return back to their base, to my knowledge this is still going on as it is the most cost efficient way of doing the run.

Tesco/Eddie Stobart do use the trains, but to be fair they do get a rather large subsidy to do so, would be interesting if they would still use the train should this end! I can also, with 100% accuracy tell you that if the load is urgent it will be transferred by road, I have driven the trucks myself from Southampton up to DIRFT, and then ran back empty!!! Funny how if things are urgent they go by road.

Personally I do not want to subsidise rail with my taxes, the roads don't get subsidised so why should the rail network, if it can't stand on it's own let it go.
Long Heavy Vehicles - SlidingPillar
Considering my commuter trains are often late because of the goods trains now - do you think more is good idea?

I'm not convinced there is not something to be won by proper joined up thinking though as a lot of goods go to big regional distribution centres only to back track a lot of the way being distributed.
Long Heavy Vehicles - Manatee
Canals ;-)
Long Heavy Vehicles - craneboy
>>>>I strongly believe that most of the motorway HGVs could be accomodated on the railways, >>>>

This is simply not a viable option. It would take decades to recover our torn up railway infrastructure.

Ive heard enough of this mythical "golden age" of the railways..It never really existed.
The decline in rail traffic over many years has simply mirrored the decline in industries capable of using rail to its optimum. In other words, bulk goods such as coal and cement etc being produced in large plants with their own sidings. These industries simply dont exist anymore.

During its heyday in the 50's & 60's, British rail actually ran one the largest fleets of lorries in the country. Much of the so called railfreight, even in those days never even saw a train on its journey.

A much more realistic option, would be to offer incentives to get more HGV's on the roads at night.
Long Heavy Vehicles - gordonbennet
IIRC Whitworths foods used a road train under special licence in the late 70's or 80's.

I seem to remember they were called doubles, and used 2 semi trailers.
I think they were trialled on a night operation between Northants and Lancs, but memory being what it is, i hope someone else knows more.

Can't remember what happened to them, but they haven't been seen again, so safe to assume NBG.

It could have been a marvellous integrated transport system to have a combined road and rail system, but it would never work in Britain, imagine how many levels of admin and management there would have been, all competing against one another as always, 1000 acre operating terminal and 5000 acres of offices to service it, in every large town.
Well an intergrated system in this country would never work with you lot in charge, thats for certain!

So we'll continue using massive amounts of fuel, clogging up the motorways and making life more dangerous for everyone using the roads then because there's no alternative and we have to protect the hauliers jobs...

Boy, is that progress.... not!

Sometimes we have to spend money to make things better for everyone - expanding the rail network is one of those times, but head in sand attitudes like I've seen here won't get us anywhere - problem is if we don't start soon then I dread to think what the roads will be like in a few years time, I'm just glad my job is shift work and I don't have to travel far to get there....
It gets to me that people will moan like heck about the state of the roads, congestion, how dangerous it is and all the fun has gone from motoring and then when an alternative is suggested which would work, given the necessary investment, and would aleaviate a lot of their woes its is ridiculed.

Yes it would require major investment, yes it will take time, but yes it would work...

Trouble is no-one wants to be the one to sign it off as involves spending large amounts of money which could be better spent on............ ?

Sorry, rant over...
Long Heavy Vehicles - Sofa Spud
The double artics would have made sense provided they were limited to suitable roads - i.e. the motorways, the trunk dual-carriageway network that connects to it and a few short feeder routes. At 56 mph, overcoming wind resistance takes a very large slice of the total energy used by a heavy lorry, especially if it has tall bodywork.

By doubling up, the second trailer gets an almost free ride in terms of wind resistance, since it doesn't add to the frontal area of the combination. Since the vehicles would ride on more axles, the axle weights would be no higher than current artics and the only problem might be with some bridges, where the total weight of a vehicle might be significant.

Quote:......>>>>>"It gets to me that people will moan like heck about the state of the roads, congestion, how dangerous it is and all the fun has gone from motoring".

Why should we expect motoring to be 'fun'? What most people want is a hassle-free, safe and comfortable journey from A to B. Motoring can be fun, it can be enjoyable, but it's not what the road network is there for, it's for transport.
Long Heavy Vehicles - frazerjp
I can remember when a haulage co. called Tenby based in Lincolnshire trialled out the LHV's, they said the stopping distances were shorter because the wagon had extra wheels = extra brakes.
tinyurl.com/yljm832 Looks like they may be coming afterall :O)
Given that there is no realistic alternative to road transport for the majority of goods, this might be no bad thing if they are used on suitable routes. It will reduce the number of lorries and the quantity of fuel used.

It will be worth considering safety on motorways though, and how it could be improved. I wouldn't like to contemplate the consequences of one of those running into the back of a queue.

Of course it would be a good idea to reduce the amount of stuff carted in the first place, especially food miles.
if they are used on suitable routes.

Well I hope that they have better ways of keeping them on "suitable routes" than they do with HGVs at the moment - the number of bridge bashes and tales of HGVs going places they shouldn't doesn't bode well for something where keeping them on the right road is vital...

One thing that does puzzle me, though, is this:

"However, following a 2008 report into the use of the vehicles, the DfT claimed there would be safety risks and environmental drawbacks due to the modal shift from rail to road."

Does that mean that these new vehicles will not, in fact, be combining existing road lorry loads but instead taking the ones that are currently on rail and transferring them onto road, therefore increasing road use? Sounds like the lunatics have taken over if it is...

Edited by b308 on 16/11/2009 at 18:56

Long Heavy Vehicles - jc2
Years ago,I remember a West Country farmer explaining that if he sent vegetables to London by rail,he would have to stop picking at 2 pm,then load onto lorries to get them to the train,which would take them to a London depot where they would be unloaded to take them by lorry to the market.If a lorry was used for the whole journey,he could pick till it got dark and the lorry would still get to the market before it opened.BTW Australian road-trains are only allowed in some states and not in any urban area in any state.
Long Heavy Vehicles - Dave_TD
frazerjp ? It?s www.denbytransport.co.uk/
incentives to get more HGV's on the roads at night

Such as? Drivers? wages are already higher for night work, as are loaders? and fitters?. Then there is the noise problem, resulting in supermarkets in residential areas not being allowed to accept night-time deliveries.

The lorries currently doing night work (and there are plenty of them, go and have a look at your nearest motorway at 2am!) are mainly doing long-distance trunking work with post, parcels and pallets. Most industries don?t work 24 hours a day and therefore cannot receive and despatch loads of stone, steel, bricks, clothes or shoes all night.

Where's Pat pda when you need her? ;-)

Long Heavy Vehicles - pda
There's a lot more information here
tinyurl.com/ye6sd68

I have to admit that I'm sitting on the fence on this one at the moment. I can see the logic of it and some advantages, but there are a number or drawbacks too.
These LHV's are never going to do deliveries into residential areas, or towns as the roads simply won't accomodate the length.
It would mean the developement of more 'edge of motorway' hubs which in a way would be better but that in turn means there would only be a reduction in the commercial traffic on the motorways.

This is the same old problem we face with moving more freight to rail, trains don't actually get to where the goods are going.

I don't buy the weight factor either because as soon as they are allowed at any weight, they will then have the maximum weights increased, as the haulage industry never likes to see trailer space wasted!

The problem from a drivers point of view is that even in brand newly built premises, designed for HGV deliveries in bulk, space is at such a premium. There is barely room to manouvre at most, and turning round for a normal 45' trailer isn't easy, so that will restrict again, where they can be used.
I also suspect the drivers wages will remain the same for moving more goods, despite the extra skill and responsibilities involved.

So there we are:)
Go on, convince me to make a decision on this one because in my role as PR for the PDA, I'm soon going to have to make a statement as to how lorry drivers feel about this for the Press!

Pat
Long Heavy Vehicles - Falkirk Bairn
Whilst waiting for someone off a train lastnight a train hauling 30 x 45ft containers trundled through.

Stobart Rail (of the Eddie fame) hauling 30 TESCO Containers - I believe they are headed for Inverness (IIRC an article I read 6 months ago).

Surely this has to be lauded and taken up by other supermarkets/chains.............
>>Surely this has to be lauded and taken up by other supermarkets/chains.............

Maybe - I wonder what the economics of lorrying to the railhead and then from train to stores are. Perhaps that doesn't matter too much, if it's 'doing the right thing' that counts.

Long Heavy Vehicles - dieseldogg
Perhaps if the average car buying driver did not buy so much tat that they did not need
There would be less need for HGV's
Like ( for instance) carting disposable DFS sofas about, from factory to warehouse to store to home and then after a brief stay in the home on to the skip and ultimate disposal.
a lot of NIMBYS on her methinks
cheers
M
Ps
our sofa is going on 30 years and still in good nick(this despite two large dogs using it)
>>>Maybe - I wonder what the economics of lorrying to the railhead and then from train to stores are.<<<

The idea, I think, is to have green trains and green lorries all with names on.

That way it really doesn't matter!

dd, I'm afraid you've lost me totally with the above, maybe I'm just a bit confused this morning?

Pat
Long Heavy Vehicles - mike hannon
>If a lorry was used for the whole journey, he could pick till it got dark and the lorry would still get to the market before it opened.<

I remember those days - when I was a kid riding in my father's lorry, before the days of proper safety regulation, we used to see the sides of the road to London (the old A30-A303) littered with broken down and smashed-up cabbage lorries from Cornwall that had been heading hell for leather overnight to Covent Garden.
There were attempts, even in those days, to make more sense of moving goods by rail or road as suited best. One British semi-trailer firm developed a device called a 'road-railer' - an artic trailer with road wheels and flanged rail wheels so it could be towed on the road or the railway. Presumably they just couldn't make it work.

Pat/pda
Why are the trucks/lorries needed on the road?
I would say safely 33% of them could be done without iffen women did not buy so many disposable Primark clothes
(for instance)
and a much smaller %age iffen men did not buy so much disposable beer.
Symptomatic of the affluent/effluent society we live in
Long Heavy Vehicles - mike hannon
Just out of interest...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrailer
Long Heavy Vehicles - lotusexige
Pat/pda
Why are the trucks/lorries needed on the road?
I would say safely 33% of them could be done without iffen women did not
buy so many disposable Primark clothes
(for instance)
and a much smaller %age iffen men did not buy so much disposable beer.
Symptomatic of the affluent/effluent society we live in

Agreed, almost. The women should buy less disposeable junk and the beer should be produced localy.
It was actually the accusation of NIMBY's on here I don't understand.

As a female and a lorry driver, I'm perfectly used to being blamed for all the wrongs in the world:):)

Pat
I think we'd all like to see more long-distance freight carried by rail - and more (other) people travelling by public transport instead of clogging up the road with their cars!!!!

But, on a practical level, we're unlikely to see much of a reduction in the numbers of heavy lorries on the roads. If freight is moved to smaller vehicles, then there's be a lot more of them - like maybe 15-20 Ford Transits to carry the same weight as a top-weight artic (44 tonne artic = 30 tonnes load, 14 tonnes vehicle).

I'm not sure about double trailer artics - on the face of it they'd be OK on the motorway and trunk dual-carriageway network but they'd need to be split before venturing onto lesser roads. I've been a lorry driver in the past and I certainly wouldn't want to drive a double artic except perhaps on an old airfield!!!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 17/11/2009 at 22:23

That's one of my worries SS, look at the access to a lot of Industrial Estates.
The problem is they build them to get maximum commercial usage from the available land and never give a thought to where the people who work there are going to park their cars.
It's certainly not good practice now to drop a trailer in a layby and leave it unattended.
Freight crime has increased so much during the recession and GIT Insurance wouldn't cover it.

Pat
Yes Pat
I was aware that NIMBY was not being used in its normal sense
however the logic was the same
ie nimby does not want that: windfarm, powerstation, incinerator, landfill site or whatever
"in their backyard"
nimby in this respect was alluding to the fact that car drivers do not want trucks on "their" roads
but hey they want all the products the trucks are carrying
delivered to their shops/homes
cheers
M
Hmmm
But Not On My Road
BNOMR
Not the same really is it

Edited by dieseldogg on 18/11/2009 at 11:39

Long Heavy Vehicles - Alanovich
I don't see why non-urgent, non-perishable goods shouldn't be transported by canal. The network is excellent.

I wonder how much cheaper it is on fuel to run a canal boat, compared with an HGV or train?
Not the capacity, Alan, they struggle enough with with leisure boats as it is... and then there's capacity, a 70' natrrow boat doesn't carry a great deal... on some of the rivers like the Trent, Aire and Calder or Severn perhaps...

PS, DD why do you write like you do? I given up trying to work out what you have written now and ignore the posts.. can you please use proper sentances?! ;-)

Edited by b308 on 18/11/2009 at 19:00

With my failing eyesight ( for reading), and I regularily attend the optician
I find it easier to read short sentances
On seperate lines
I struggle with a dense single spaced mass of text, across the full width of the page
cheers
M
Ah, cheers, you must love those 30 line, no paragraph posters then!!

Edited by b308 on 19/11/2009 at 17:21

Long Heavy Vehicles - maz64
The 25m (~30ft longer than usual) Denby Extra 'supertruck' is being driven on the roads today to see if it's legal ie. if they get stopped and prosecuted then possibly not.

BBC breakfast report: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8387774.stm

Despite the length, the weight will be the same as the current maximum so it's good for transporting big loads of tissues, not scrap metal.
I'm not sure that's the ethical way to challenge the legality of a new vehicle.

It certainly won't help in the eyes of the anti lorry brigade, and I'm surprised at denby's doing it this way.

Pat
Didn't think it was a good argument against L(H)Vs by Stephen Joseph 'Campaign for better transport' (1:50) - basically saying if you allow this then where do you stop. Surely it stops when you come up with a good argument for stopping - which he didn't provide.
pda
If Denby have managed to convince their insurers as to the merit and legality of this combination, which I can only conclude they have.
Then :Good, carry on. The law is after all "an ass"
Plus the gentleman interviewed on behalf of Denbys appeared to be exactly that, a gentleman.
I come to this with a farming perspective, in respect of which the law relating to transport is apparently NOT clear.
So there are indeed "grey areas" , which will only be settled by case law accruing, if that makes sense.
cheers
M
Ps
I agree with Focus P as above

Edited by dieseldogg on 01/12/2009 at 10:18

Long Heavy Vehicles - Altea Ego
The length of these things is not safe or practical for UK roads. There will be accidents and inconvenience. They should not be allowed.
Long Heavy Vehicles - daveyjp
Agreed - a normal artic is bad enough on a roundabout, imagine getting on the inside of one of these, regardless of how tight its turning circle is.

It would also only be a matter of time before some foolish driver tried to take one under the 12'6" arched bridge near me. Backing up a normal artic is bad enough due to severe lack of space for reversing and turning - one of these would cause real problems.
Long Heavy Vehicles - Old Navy
Agreed - a normal artic is bad enough on a roundabout imagine getting on the
inside of one of these regardless of how tight its turning circle is.

Simple don't do it! I don't.

Edited by Old Navy on 01/12/2009 at 11:20

Long Heavy Vehicles - daveyjp
If it's narrow I always avoid it, but not all roundabouts are the same.

I doubt anyone can say they NEVER get on the inside of an artic at EVERY roundabout they come across - I know I can't.

On larger roundabouts with lights you can be waiting for a green, but an HGV catches the "green wave" of lights and has no need to stop, so ends up undertaking whilst also turning into the radius of the roundabout.
>>>>Then :Good, carry on. The law is after all "an ass"<<<<

But is it 'an ass'?
Certainly in this case, I don't think it is.
It's what we all have to abide by and just because we disagree with a law, doesn't mean we can go out and challenge it by breaking it.

>>>>Plus the gentleman interviewed on behalf of Denbys appeared to be exactly that, a gentleman<<<<<

It still doesn't allow him to flout the law, even if he does say please and thankyou!

>>>I come to this with a farming perspective,<<<
Now I can see why your in favour!

Pat
It's what we all have to abide by and just because we disagree with a
law doesn't mean we can go out and challenge it by breaking it.

But they are challenging it because it isn't clear - they might not be breaking it at all, just trying to clarify it.

BTW I'm not saying LHVs are a good thing.

Edited by Focus {P} on 01/12/2009 at 11:07

Long Heavy Vehicles - Altea Ego
Clearly the law needs to be clarified in this case. Going out with such a vehicle is

a: not the way to clarify it
b: not a very goof public relations for your case.

He may be a gentleman, but he is being stupid , pigheaded and obtuse.
Long Heavy Vehicles - Old Navy
He may be a gentleman but he is being stupid pigheaded and obtuse.

:-)
Unfortunately IT IS the way to clarify it. I know form experience that VOSA will not commit to anything, they "might" give you their opinion on some matters, but always end the sentence with "but it is your responsibility and we may still prosecute".

I have been trying to get clarification on a couple of issues for a long while and still no further forward!!

There is also the case up in Scotland where a local authority was/is using 7.5t artics, VOSA would not give a final answer on their use by drivers who did not hold a C+E licence, it never went to court and the prosecution dropped the case!!!

I would suspect much the same will happen here. At the end of the day the C&U regs state that a vehicle should be able to turn within 2 circles, and this vehicle fulfils that test - Denby's believe it is legal, and I say good luck to them - VOSA won't commit themselves so to get an answer Denby's have to do this!!

As for all the "use the trains" etc, they don't work for our size country, great for the likes of europe, USA and other large continents, but for an island that you can drive virtually the length of in one driving period (10 hours driving) then this is the cheapest and quickest way to move goods from A to B - get used to it, it aint gonna change no matter what!!!
>>>>you can drive virtually the length of in one driving period (10 hours driving)<<<<

Yes, it's one thing bosses and transport managers have in common. They can shrink a map at one glance!

Pat
Hardly Pat, I spent 15 years behind the wheel, I have far less of an agenda then you do! You can get from the Southampton to the borders of Scotland in a shift quite easily.

It's quite clear.

Former transport secretary Ruth Kelly rejected calls to allow them on the roads.

Also, the Department for Transport (DfT) has stated it still considers the use of any LHV on UK roads as illegal.

Flouting this ruling isn't the way forward IMHO, there are better ways it could have been done, to maintain public support.

The first RTA an LHV is involved in will see the statements above remembered!

Pat

Edited by pda on 01/12/2009 at 11:25

Long Heavy Vehicles - Harleyman
Playing devil's advocate here; the LHV combination is no bigger, longer, heavier or more inconvenient to other motorists than many of the travelling fairground rigs, and they seem to be perfectly legal.

To the previous poster who cuts inside artics on roundabouts; more fool you for doing so!
So, if, as often the case on this Forum, his insurers will be SO hard to reason with or deal with.
How has he got insurance?
Do you really think he is knowingly driving uninsured?
I think not.
Therefore he must have persuaded his insurers that what he is doing is reasonably argueably legal?
Cheers
Ps
I am assuming that he will ONLY be driving on Motorways, trunk roads, distribution centres etc. ie where safe to do so
PPS
How about all those car drivers who cannot drive & especially reverse on country roads.
Moats & beams ( in the eye)
Long Heavy Vehicles - henry k
BBC R4 reported just now

A road haulage company based in Lincoln has been prevented from putting a 25m super-truck on the road in the UK.

The BiB stopped it before it left on its trip
Harumph
Long Heavy Vehicles - ijws15
Two things struck me in reading this thread

1. The number of people who almost certainly break the speed limit daily are indignant because a haulier plans to use a lorry that MIGHT be illegal.

2. How come you can never find a policeman when you want one but when they try to drive out of their yard the police just happen to be there. Is it a case of no offense means no test case?
He announced to the world that he was going out today to break the EXISTING law.
Surely the BiB acted correctly?

Pat

Edited by pda on 01/12/2009 at 13:10

Long Heavy Vehicles - ijws15
He announced to the world that he was going out today to break the EXISTING
law.

Not correct - he announced that he wanted to test the law - Denby believe what they tried to do is LEGAL.
Pat - do you know what the existing law is? Ie. what does it say about length?
Long Heavy Vehicles - bell boy
its too long,im surprised an insurer gave him the go ahead, this is exactly why we have vosa thankfully
its too long im surprised an insurer gave him the go ahead this is exactly
why we have vosa thankfully

Clearly spoken by someone who does not have to have daily dealings with the incompetent fools more commonly known as VOSA!!!!!
R75 what do you mean by that?
Would that be the same incompetent fool who thinks a lorry driver can get from one end of the country to the other, in a 10 hour driving period? :)
I rest my case.

Pat
Pat, I have long since stopped responding to your inane posts, long before you ever reared your head on this forum, you have your own agenda, one in which you seem to think the vast majority of drivers follow you in - you are wrong, and have been proved so many times, most drivers who frequent forums actually detest what you think you stand for - you do not speak for them even though in your self appointed role, you think you do!!

If you look at my post I said you can get almost from one end of the country to the other, now as far as I can remember England is still a country, and you can certainly get from Southampton up to the borders of Scotland within 10 hours, if you can't then I would suggest that you are hanging out the job and should look for a new job!!!
If you look at my post I said you can get almost from one end
of the country to the other

"but for an island that you can drive virtually the length of in one driving period (10 hours driving)"
Soto'n to Edinburgh, about 8.5 hours on a good day, still leaves you with 1.5 hours to spare to get further north. That to me is most of the "Island" certainly most of the most densely populated areas of the "Island", which after all is where you will find the majority of trucks going!!!
Soto'n to Edinburgh about 8.5 hours on a good day

Fair enough, but the use of sarcasm in your reply to Pat still seems unjustified.("now as far as I can remember England is still a country").
Pat was and is trying to be difficult for the sake of it, as well as making complete non points, her views that "TM's can shrink a map" (or similar words) is just nonsense, some of us know our jobs from the inside out and have started at the bottom working our way up and learning all the way - If she can't do it in that time then there is something wrong with her ability or there was an unforeseen problem on the way.
Yes I do know who you are R75. I've never backed down from you in the past and nothing has changed!

As far as I am aware, I'm still entitled to have an opinion and debate my point though.
I'm certainly able to do it without insults, which you seem incapable of.

As Focus points out this island doesn't start at Southampton or end at the Scottish Borders:)

Pat
"Would that be the same incompetent fool who thinks a lorry driver can get from one end of the country to the other, in a 10 hour driving period? :)
I rest my case.

Pat"

Would seem like an insult to me!!!!

I rest my case!!!!

And I would point out that to debate a point you would need to have a counter argument, one you seem to be unable to produce with regards to how far you can travel in 10 hours!!
I must have mellowed with age, I refuse to rise to the bait R75:)

Back on topic there is a more in depth report here

tinyurl.com/ybam2mo

Pat
There was nothing to rise to Pat, I countered your argument, with reasoned argument, if you cant manage that then please don't try and lower the thread by accusing me of baiting you. If I had wanted to do that then I would have done so much, much, earlier in the thread.
The bait I refuse to rise to, is you trying to turn this into a personal argument. My email address is shown openly if you want to do that.

If you want 'reasoned' argument then look at the mileage from Penzance to Thurso and tell me how to do that in 10 hours?
That is what your original statement implied.
However, it has nothing to do with the OP, so what's the point?
Pat
Grow up Pat, stop trying to turn everything into a personal vendetta against you/drivers/women (delete as applicable). I made a point and you tried to trivialise it but provided no evidence to back it up. Now 4 or 5 posts later you pick 2 of the furthest points apart and use them as an example. at least my example was realistic Soto'n to E'burgh, quite a normal route for a container!!!! Although I admit my earlier post might have been somewhat a generalisation, you can still drive the majority of the country/island in a 10 hour driving shift!
There was nothing to rise to Pat

But to a non-expert like myself that's how it came across, deliberate or not.

Personally I didn't see what was wrong with Pat's post - UK is 700 miles top to bottom, over 800 if you want to get from one tip to the other, and I don't see how you can do either of those in 10 hours at 56mph. If I've misunderstood then I'd be happy to be politely told where I'm going wrong.
well then why not include the scilly isles and the shetlands as well then, you can add a few more miles onto your 700 or 800. I said the MAJORITY could be covered in a 10 hour drive, certainly the major industrial areas, I was not intending on teaching people the finer points of logistics, I had assumed the majority on here had enough of an idea with out macro level detail needed.
I said the MAJORITY

Again fair enough, but I would have been a lot more willing to accept your point of view if you had pointed that out succinctly in your earlier post, instead of calling what appeared to me to be reasonable posts 'inane' and using sarcasm.
Long Heavy Vehicles - rtj70
Can we keep to the point of this thread and stop having a go at each other.

Thanks
BB, whilst VOSA have some very good inspectors, most are unwilling to actually put their money where their mouth is, the HQ up at Leeds is a complete farce which has only succeeded in slowing down applications and changes.

If you ask them for clarification on any points they give a wishy washey answer that is non committal - the inspectors seem scared to ever voice an opinion in case they then have to defend that in court.

Thats what I mean.
Doesn't the 18 metre length limit only apply to drawbar outfits, i.e. a rigid lorry towing a separate trailer? The vehicle here in question is a double-articulated outfit. So, arguably, it is illegal on two counts. 1) It exceeds the length limit for articulated vehicles and 2) Double-articlated LGVs are not permitted on our roads.

I would be questioning whether the transport manager responsible for sending this vehicle out on the road was fit for their job. The Traffic Commissioners might want to look into the conditions of this company's operator's licence too.

What gets me is not the possibility of B-train double-artics as such, it's the arrogance of a company that thinks it can outsmart the law. Presumably the vehicle got through the MOT by the tractor and each individual trailer passing separately. (LGV trailers need MOTs, unlike car ones)

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/12/2009 at 14:46

I dont think it would be classed as a drawbar, so would not be eligible for the 18.75m length (is way over that anyway). Not sure how Dendby's were proposing to use it on the road (i.e. as an artic or drawbar), no where seems to be commenting on that - is possible that the tractive unit is classed as a locomotive and as such can legally draw two or even 3 trailers - again though really not sure about that either!!

I know I would not want to be the TM on the licence, but do fully support their intentions, and as I have said earlier, after my own wranglins with VOSA fully understand where they are coming from!

Oh, and all tractive units and trailers go through MOT's separately.
EDIT: seems it might be classed as a locomotive or motor tractor, thereby enabling it to pull 2 trailers as long as not exceeding 25.9m (which it seems it is under at 25.25m) Maybe this is what they are trying to test in law!
Thats what I mean.
>>
>>>>>>> right :-)
I see vosa quite often and a lot of them are overworked and understaffed.
They are just another tick box application to me but i still believe they do a good job and yes ive fallen out with them a few times ,have the paperwork to prove it,-- but will say when you go to the top at bristol its always sorted so i rate them fairly highly.
Havent dealt with the new traffic office at leeds yet though ,but yes its very difficult for a definative answer in fact i was at vosa doncaster last week and the paperwork on the wall they were displaying was all wrong and out of date but i decided to just get on with my life to be honest and said nothing.
Theres an awful lot of corner cutting in road haulage ,always has been so roadside checks even though we all dread them and im the first to admit ive done detours to get round them do actually do necessary work even though noone will admit it
just like tachos the lorry drivers friend
Here's the BBC report of it being 'grounded by police'
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8388420.s...m

EDIT: ..actually a short clip tacked onto the beginning of the earlier clip

Edited by Focus {P} on 01/12/2009 at 15:04

Quote:...""EDIT: seems it might be classed as a locomotive or motor tractor, thereby enabling it to pull 2 trailers as long as not exceeding 25.9m (which it seems it is under at 25.25m) Maybe this is what they are trying to test in law!""

Unless this bit of old legislation has changed, both trailers have to be unladen and the vehicle is limited to a low speed - 20 mph, I think. This is the regulation that permits travelling showmen's vehicles to tow 2 trailers - although they probably exceed 20 mph a lot of the time.

There is a precedent for C&U regulations being tested in this way, in the 1950's. Midland Red bus company, which made its own buses at the time, stretched one of its older single deckers to an excessive length, as a demo vehicle - I think it was 45 feet or so. Eventually Midland Red got permission to take this contraption onto the streets. It wasn't fully fitted out as a bus and didn't carry passengers. As a result of this, partly, the length limit for single decker buses was raised in the early 1960s from 30 feet to 36 feet.
Sofa
How would the fairground lorries be deemed to be "unladen"
forby the speed issue.
Quote:...""Given that there is no realistic alternative to road transport for the majority of goods, this might be no bad thing if they are used on suitable routes. It will reduce the number of lorries and the quantity of fuel used.

It will be worth considering safety on motorways though, and how it could be improved. I wouldn't like to contemplate the consequences of one of those running into the back of a queue.""

Although I think this transport operator was wrong to try this arrogant publicity stunt, I agree that double artics might not be so bad ab idea if confined to the motorway and trunk dual-carriageway network plus a few very short access routes to that network.

I think that they're not talking about this particular double artic exceeding the current 44-tonne gross weight limit - and it has more axles, and therefore brakes, than a conventional artic, so it should be able to stop quite quickly. The problem I imagine is if it starts to double jacknife when it stops.

The fairground trailers are 'unladen' because they usually have fairground rides permanently mounted on them, which counts as attached plant or equipment, and not as a load. Or they might be living vans.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/12/2009 at 15:35

Long Heavy Vehicles - henry k
The short trip
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8388911.stm
tinyurl.com/ybopyh3

This isn't over yet.

Pat
He's been issued with a notice saying he can't drive it on the roads but they decided not to take him to court... So he wants it to go to court... which will then cost the tax payer umpteen thousands just to clarify whether he can run it... well if he wants to do it that way he should pay all the costs for both sides...

Surely there has to be a cheaper way... or perhaps he just has to accept that the powers that be (and much of the driving public I suspect) don't want the damn things on the road.

Edited by b308 on 19/12/2009 at 08:26

My feeling exactly on this one B308.

There are times when you have to admit defeat.

Pat