Buying one..or not - midlifecrisis
I've decided that the wife's Hyundai Getz is just too small and have been idly looking for a replacement. We've seen both an Almera 1.5 SVE and a Tino 1.8S. 54 plates) While they may not be exciting, I was attracted by the promise of reliability.

However , on checking owner reviews, there seem to be a large number of timing chain faults on the Almera, with bills of £1000+. The Tino is an unknown quantity for me. Reviews seem more positive, but anything I should be aware of.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/12/2007 at 20:54

Buying one..or not - bathtub tom
I've got a '53 1.5 Almera.
I researched the timing chain problem before I bought it, and found information suggesting it affected engines (I forget the type number, but it's the 1.5) up to number 171933. Mine is somewhat later.
As for unexciting, mine's got the larger diameter alloys, and it corners better than anything I've had before, even the Focus - although many here will disagree. The down side is the firm ride (and screaming passengers).
Buying one..or not - JohnX
Totally agree with Tom.
You can zoom around roundabouts at impossible speeds which no other car in its class will manage without loosing control.
Plus its bomb proof reliability and thanks to the general public who prefer a status elevating Golf , the second hand prices of the Almera are relatively cheap.

An underrated gem if ever there was one!
Buying one..or not - v0n
Almera is one heavy car, 1.5 litre engine does not give it enough poke. 1.8l out of lack of other petrol options, is worth considering, especially since there isn't much difference between the two in terms of economy.
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]

Edited by v0n on 04/12/2007 at 00:33

Buying one..or not - Screwloose
mlc

Beware the manufacturer's spin on the timing chain issue; it's a design fault and it most definitely hasn't gone away - as they'd like people to believe. Budget for a new chain.

The latest failed one that I saw [last Wednesday] was on a 53 plate. I did warn him before he bought it....
The one I'm looking at (with less enthusiasm now) is a Sep 04 car. The 1.5 engine isn't a factor as it will be used by the wife going to/from work and school run etc.

I'm getting seriously cold feet with regard to the timing chain. Is it mirroring the 'common rail' problem where there are numbers of vocal owners who have had problems, but thousands of silent satisfied customers.

Edited by midlifecrisis on 04/12/2007 at 09:53

Buying one..or not - pyruse
Buy the 1.8 - this has three advantages:
1. No timing chain problem on the 1.8 engine
2. Performance is much better
3. Fuel consumption not much different (we get 36mpg round town with a 1.8 auto, 45mpg on a long run).

The Almera is a good car.
Buying one..or not - Mchenry
Mine was a 2.2 diesel and it was phenomenally reliable. Apart from oil, filters, tyres and pads, ALL that it had in 198,000km was a steering rack under a recall. The model was a failure commercially but a success technically.
Buying one..or not - jbif
I'm getting seriously cold feet with regard to the timing chain. Is it mirroring the 'common rail' problem where there are numbers of vocal owners who have had problems, but thousands of silent satisfied customers.

Hello Midlifecrisis. If the timing chain issue is that serious, then surely HJ will have it covered in his Car-by-car section?
The only problem with the 1.8 Tino is the wife thinks it's a 'bit big'. I would welcome HJs views on this.
Buying one..or not - jbif
The only problem with the 1.8 Tino is the wife thinks it's a 'bit big'. I would welcome HJs views on this.

In which case, I think you may need to email him.

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand how HJ is going to alter mlc's wife's perceptions of what's a "bit big...?"

[Though maybe a week's loan of a Hummer might do it....?]
I don't want his views on the size of the Tino. I'd like his perception of the timing chain issues on the 1.5 engine.
Buying one..or not - pyruse
Why not get the 1.8 (non Tino) - or is the only 1.8 available the Tino?
I agree with the perception that the 1.5 is underpowered, but 1.8 manuals are like hen's teeth.
It'll never set the world alight, but if you hold it up to 6500 RPM it aint all bad.

Screwloose.
I've done a K11 Micra timing chain, do you know if the Almera is similar, and are the parts available other than from a Nissan main dealer, if I've got to do mine?
Buying one..or not - The Whiteknight
I myself have the 1.5 SE on W reg with 32,000 on the clock and no sign of the timing chain going at all . Have owned this one since 20,000 although the reason they seem to go is due to oil contamination which Aprilla I believe has mentioned before on this forum . The oil on these needs to be changed very regularly . I do a low mileage and have mine changed every 6 months so in my ownership I have only ever needed a brake caliper and brake pads normal wearing parts .

I personally don't find the 1.5 underpowered but everybody is entitled to their opinion.

I do believe a well looked after example would be a good buy. All the best !

Edited by The Whiteknight on 04/12/2007 at 18:53

bt

The Almera's QG engine is broadly similar to the K12's CR unit; but totally different to the Micra K11's twin roller chain.

The big difference between the K12 Micra and the N16 Almera is that the chain's replaced with the engine in-situ. That's why the Almera is around £8-900 done properly and the Micra is at least £1400.

A good bonus-earner in a Nissan dealers can do three, or even four, N16 chains in a day if he cuts corners; he'll struggle to do more than one Micra.

Which is a pity; because if you think that Almeras [including the 1.8] eat chains in short order, that's nothing to what the Micras do.
Buying one..or not - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Mid-Life,
I may be corrected on this but when I was looking at Almera's I investigated the 'timing chain' issue and was happily reassured by people here that this related to the old 1.5, not the one fitted to a 54 plate or later cars (not even an 03 I understand).

Everything is relative.

On a 54 plate you should get an S or SE spec for about £4,500. I got an 05 plate 1.5S for £4,999 from Trade Sales a few montsh ago for my wife as it is bigger and safer than the Fiesta she had. It has 4 stars EuroNcap which is pretty good. A Tino will be significantly more expensive and is certaily a lot bigger. Different car altogether really. I liked the Almera because the size and equipment (even the S has Aircon, CD, Elec Windows, ABS, EBD, EBA, Power Steering, etc) is unbeatable for the age of car and proice you pay. Ours had just 12,000 on the clock and is still under the 3 year warranty.

If the engine issue was a big one there would be a lot more horror stories about it and I heard none when I did my comprehensive research.

But lets say for arguements sake it did happen at big miles, it is only £800 and you will have saved thousands more than that through having bought such a bargain car in the first place.

When we got our Almera it was either a 2 year old Almera, one owner, 12k miles and still under warranty or a 4 year old Focus, 2 owners, no warranty, 50k miles, not so well equipped - at the same price. A no-brainer really.

Go on, go for it! It is a good size inside, drives really nicely, sips fuel, is not under powered - I assure you it is fine - 100hp after all. It is well built, there is lots of room in the boot, seats drop for a cavernous load space for those trips to the tip and there are few cars as safe for the money. And they are very reliable in every respect from what I can find. 6 months on we have no regrets. Insurance was actually cheaper than our 1.25 Fiesta.

Any questions I would be happy to answer.

Buying one..or not - Slightlyfatdirector
Since posting the above I have checked to see who might have what car supermarket-wise. Have a look at www.cargiant.co.uk they have a good selection of Almera's and Tino's. Good selection of mileage and prices.

www.fow.co.uk used to always have a selection too, but I don't know your location. Trade Sales had 25 whan I bought mine but none at the moment.

Cheers!
Buying one..or not - desm
I have a 05 1.5s Almera and I've been very happy with it. It's certainly no sports car but I wouldn't count it as underpowered for day to day motoring. The spec is excellent for a bottom of range car.
Buying one..or not - Aprilia
I think the 'facelifted' 2003-on Almera is not a bad car to drive. For a bog standard small saloon it handles very well. It sold extremely well all over the world and was a big money-spinner for Nissan - not so well in the UK though were there is an 'image problem'.

The 1.5 and 1.8's are fundamentally the same motor (timing chain kits are the same). Strangely enough these engine are not actually 'Nissan' engines; like the Micra engines they are designed and built by Aichi Co. in Nagoya (not far from Toyota). Aichi are a very old Japanese company which made clocks in the 19th century and graduated to other sorts of machinery, including aircraft parts and small cars and trucks. They were affiliated to Nissan about 30 years ago and design and make most of the small Nissan engines and gearboxes. They also make powertrain units for other customers (e.g. some engines for Suzuki, the gearbox on the Mazda 6 and Mitsi Lancer Evo's amongst other bits and pieces).

Apparently the timing chain 'stretch' is actually down to rapid wear in the 'hinge' of the links. From 2003 a harder material was supposed to have been introduced - but obviously frequent oil changes with a top-notch oil and OE filter will be a big help in prolonging life.

If things do go wrong its not the end of the world. A Nissan dealer will charge £800+ for the job. But remember this is not a high-tech engine and any reasonably competent independent should be able to do the job. Book time is about 4 hours - so at £50/hr you are looking at a couple £100's for the labour. Timing chain kits are now available from factors I believe, and the price I saw (IIRC) was around £125.

The 1.5 and 1.8 cars are very similar and there will be little difference in running cost so it would make sense to go for a 1.8 if you can find one. The Tino was an MPV on the same platform and a 2.0 engine was also available on that (plus the Diesels of course).
Is there a source of information on these?
I've dabbled a toe in the owners club forum - less erm, shall we say well moderated than here.
There's no Haynes available.
I asked a question here some time ago about an apparent solenoid in the cam cover, and was told it's to do with the variable valve timing. I didn't even know it was a VVC engine, there's no mention of it in the sales brochure or handbook.
I'm just an anorak who'd like to have a better knowledge.
Buying one..or not - Aprilia
The 1.8's have a form of VVT and there is a cam position control solenoid. I would imagine you could get a repair manual on CD from an eBay seller for under £10....
'sfunny, mine's a 1.5, with a solenoid thingy in the cam cover???
I'll have a look on e-bay. Thanks.

ps. I'm trying to remember, who referred to me as an awkward cus(tomer)?
Buying one..or not - Gordon17
I've got a January 2004 2.2 Diesel (136 PS) which I bought new. It's only done about 38,000 miles but it's been perferctly reliable.
It's relaxed on the motorway as it only uses 3,000RPM at 100mph.
Not the most exciting drive but I would definitely recommend it.
Went and had a look at the Almera. On the surface looked a nice car, SVE trim with a wierd Sat-Nav set up. Closer inspection showed the serious corrosion on discs and calipers, with the pads worn to the metal. Didn't really give confidence that it had been looked after properly.

I think we'll be reverting to plan A. Wife quite likes the looks of the Grand Punto (especially in 'Sport' trim. ) 06 reg models seem to go for around the five grand mark. I think that makes more sense than an Almera. I'm not sure what a p/x would be on the Getz (not much I suspect).

I may wait till after Christmas and have a go at selling the Getz privately, then have a trip to the auctions and keep an eye out for a Grand Punto. (Anybody seen one go through recently who could give an idea of selling prices)
Buying one..or not - telecaster
I have being driving a 1.5 Almera 2002 reg with 60 k as a loan car for the last month.

To me the whole car feels "tinny" and does not inspire long term confidence.

The front crossmember (micra problem, same place) is corroded badly and will need replacing soon no doubt.

mpg is not great either ...35-40 mpg......performance wise very poor acceleration for a 1.5 smallish car.

I really wanted to like this car as I have had micras in the past and they were great little cars for what they were ..but the Almera was a big no no for me.
Buying one..or not - dumbo
My wife runs an S reg 1.4l Almera. It's done about 90k, I think without going outside to look, and in that time it has only required 2 wheel bearings, (both on the same hub!) a set of brake pipes, and a new battery recently after a month of not being used at all.

I've no idea if it has a chain or a belt. I just get it serviced on the dot by a very good indie. When it dies I'd be delighted if I could find another car as reliable as hers.

It isn't perfect, of course. It is a noisy car - the tyres roar, wind noise is noticeable, and the engine is a bit loud. I also had to get the drivers seat set back by a few inches so I can drive it occasionally. But, hey, it wasn't a dear car!
Buying one..or not - Richie Rich

After have my eye on this model for a few years since it was remodelled I eventually bought a 1.5SE 55 plate from Nissan dealership back in Early 2007 with only 10k on the clock. Now clocked up 34K replaced brake pads and two front tyres, original Bridgestone rear tyres still with 3mm tred on expect to replace them.

The car has never falied me which is franky the reason I bought it . As for perfomance low end acceleration is not brilliant and there is what I would call a bit of accelerator lag more noticeable at low speed which can take some getting used to. On the plus side though at 70+ the car has enough grunt to overtake with confidence. As for fuel economy what with the price of petrol 122pL nowadays I find it a bit of a no brainer driving at 60mph instead of doing the usual 80+mph.. I tend to get about 45mpg compared to 34 which is a 30% saving annually a tidy sum !!

Road noise at speed is not as goood as I had hoped it would be and the windows when wound half way down do rattle a tad. The rear hatch design could have been made slightly wider perhaps but it is still a good size when all the seats are folded down.

I'll be taking the earlier advice given and changing the engine oil more frequently as it's bound to help extend the life of the cam chain. I intend to keep the car till it falls apart as I'm a great believer in getting as much as you can out of a vehicle so I'll be doing my utmost to prolong its longevity by driving smoothly..!

Buying one..or not - mancy1980

I am looking to buy a 1.5L almera S its august 2003 (03) reg - cant see if this has ABS on it or not - nowhere says yes or no - it is important to me that it does

can anyone help?

thanks

Buying one..or not - Avant

From HJ's car reviews (find Nissan and scrol down to used cars)

"Major facelift Autumn 2002. 136ps diesel with 304Nm torque and 6-speed box available from May 2003. 47.9mpg, 161g/km CO2, 0-60 9.2 seconds. Almera Pulse 2.2DCI 136bhp 6-speed launched for September 2003 with a/c, CD radio and ABS for £12,000 (£12,750 with 5 doors) minus £1,000 cashback. Pulse 1.5 petrol models down to as little as £6,500 new via some brokers."

Sounds as if the Pulse might have ABS but it may have been an extra on lower-powered models. A test drive may be the only way to find out.

I've a '53 reg Almera and an Almera brochure. The brochure appears to have been published 01/05 and shows all models as having ABS, EBD and EBA, even poverty spec.

I'd guess it was standard across the range at that age.

Do watch out for the timing chain! If it rattles when cold, walk away. If the engine's warm when you look at it, then it's probably been warmed up to hide the timing chain rattle when cold.

I like mine. It'll never set the world on fire, but it does everything needed of it. I think it's a better car than the MK1 Focus it replaced, certainly in luggage carrying.

Buying one..or not - mancy1980

hi thanks for the note - parkers guide says abs is only sandard from june 04? - but the editor here says its standard on cars of this era?

also the rattle you mention is it pronounced - what should i be looking for?

thanks

Buying one..or not - Glenn 42

I have a 55 plate 1.5S and for all the gearbox went in Jan 09, fortunately under warranty( but still very annoying), they're not bad. The timing chain issue seems to be something that affects earlier cars, if at all, and basically as long as the oil changes are done regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. However, they're not particularly exciting cars and I was a bit narked with the gearbox issue, but seeing my bank balance recently I'll have to hang on to it for a fair bit longer.

However, this was a needs must buy at the time, and I would have much rather bought a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus.

I replied to this earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared!

Timing chain rattle sounds like a rattly chain, on the left of the engine as you stand at the front of the car.

Parkers may well be right as the brochure I've got seems to be dated 01/05.

Buying one..or not - Glenn 42

Maybe spend a bit more if Japanese badges are your thing on a 55 Toyota Corolla or one of the last of the old Honda Civics, both of which are totally reliable if serviced correctly and seem to be more reliable than their replacements. The Mazda 3, while not as common, is another reliable car and looks more exciting. However, the Almera isn't bad and used values are low.