Cheaper petrol - lazza
Shell garage on A417 near Fairford, Gloucestershire is down to 84.9 for unleaded and 90.9 for diesel. Seems nuts to put supermarket fuel in your tank when this Shell outlet can price match. Visit outside rush-hour when the queues have gone.
Cheaper petrol - daveyjp
My local Shell is consistently 1p a litre cheaper than my local supermarkets. Diesel at mine should now be below the 90p level.
Cheaper petrol - DP
Paid 89.9 for diesel at Tesco near the Ricoh Arena in Coventry yesterday. First time I've paid <90p for aaaages.
Cheaper petrol - scotty
On Tuesday I filled up at my local Tesco - 84.9 less their 5p off per litre offer.

=79.9p per litre on unleaded - never thought I'd see the day again - I've come over all nostalgic like.
Cheaper petrol - Xileno {P}
Don't get too excited, I am sure Gordon Brown will put the tax up on something else to claw back the lost revenue.
Cheaper petrol - mk124
Don't get too excited, I am sure Gordon Brown will put
the tax up on something else to claw back the lost
revenue.

What do you mean lost revenue? The lump sum tax on fuel has stayed constant. I do however conceed that the V.A.T tax take will have declined.
The V.A.T issue however is misleading. V.A.T is on most goods and services. Many of us look at a rising inflation rate as a sign that taxes will be cut!? - as implied by Xileno.
I can only hope that as fuel prices do go down gordon brown will have more scope to raise the lump sum (customs?) tax on petrol.
Make the owners who run cars capabable of 20 MPG suffer!
Cheaper petrol - BB
85.9p for unleaded at the Tesco nr the Ricoh too!
Cheaper petrol - Dynamic Dave
Seems nuts to put supermarket fuel in your tank when this Shell outlet can price match.

Not that old cliché again where it's assumed that supermarket fuel is inferior to branded fuel.
Cheaper petrol - Dalglish
Not that old cliché again where it's assumed that supermarket fuel is inferior to branded fuel

>>

results of one independent test can be read at
www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/content/site/downloads...f

the fuel details are at
www.greenergy.com/products/99_octane.html

mention of the above is also in hj's faq no. 31
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=46

Cheaper petrol - machika
It seems odd that there are very few/no Tesco stores selling it in large parts of the Midlands and the north.
Cheaper petrol - Collos25
Plenty of Tescos in the North selling fuel
Cheaper petrol - maz64
>> Not that old cliché again where it's assumed that supermarket
fuel is inferior to branded fuel
>>
results of one independent test can be read at
www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/content/site/downloads...f

Interesting, but seems mainly to be a comparison power outputs obtained using 95 RON against 97 RON (Optimax and Ultimate) and 99 RON (Tesco) fuels. Anyone got results of comparing branded with non-branded fuels of the same RONs?

John
Cheaper petrol - Vin {P}
In fact, taken at face value, this shows that in 100% of tests, Tesco fuel provides more power than other brands. Wow!

I ask yet again, given that fuel represents a much bigger proportion of household expenditure than, say washing machines or kettles, why don't "Which?" test fuels for us?

V
Cheaper petrol - Dalglish
>>... taken at face value, this shows that in 100% of tests .... etc.

www.greenergy.com/products/99_octane.html
as the above tesco greenenergy link says : "Unlike any other fuel company, we publish the actual quality of our fuel on our website. We also test our competitors? fuel to make sure we stay ahead. But it?s not up to us to publish their fuel quality results ? so why not ask for them direct? "

Cheaper petrol - Mattster
Right, I'm off to Tesco Extra for my next fill! Anyone know how much (extra) they charge for this over ordinary 95 RON?
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Cheaper petrol - Roly93
>> Not that old cliché again where it's assumed that supermarket
fuel is inferior to branded fuel
>>

Its a pity they only concentrated on petrol, as these are just the results I would expect. Petrol is produced to relatively tight specifications compared to diesel.
Most keen diesel drivers will tell you that diesel has significant variances from brand to brand due to the all important additive pack that is used.
Cheaper petrol - Manatee
The dyno results links nicely to MichaelR's thread and PUs comments - the BMW will run OK on 95 RON, but will 'learn' and retard the ignition to do so - conversely it will extract more from a more knock resistant fuel when available.