Keeping your car fresh. - Rudedog
What are BR's favourite air fresheners that they use in their cars?

I'm looking for something that is not too strong, doesn't cost a fortune and can be hidden easily (i.e. doesn't have to be hung from the interior mirror!).
Keeping your car fresh. - SjB {P}
Air!
Keeping your car fresh. - Bromptonaut
The lavender version of Feu Orange.
Keeping your car fresh. - Martin Devon
Wet labrador..............Believe me.......nothing like it!

MD
Keeping your car fresh. - Altea Ego
Yes wet lab
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Keeping your car fresh. - kithmo
The lavender version of Feu Orange.

According to aromatherapists Lavender relaxes you and is recommended for the bedroom to help you sleep, not something you would want to do whilst driving a car.
Keeping your car fresh. - bell boy
seconded as air fresheners make me sick after a while
Keeping your car fresh. - stunorthants
Those Ambi pure jobbies can have their strength varied cant they? Expensive but they have refils.
Im gonna buy one tomorrow for my work van as it always smells of valeting chemicals which aint that pleasent after you get used to it!
Keeping your car fresh. - type's'
I always liked the autoglym mint air freshner - although not sure you can get it now.
I use autoglym autofresh spray which works well but is not 'permanent' like a plug in freshner.
It covers the smell my kids leave behind though - and they are nearly as bad as the wet lab.
Keeping your car fresh. - David Horn
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to train the kids?
Keeping your car fresh. - Group B
You can get a Magic Tree air freshener in "New Car Smell", I quite like that one. But I *do not* hang it from the rear view mirror! My passender side dashboard air vent has a conveniently shaped knob to hook it onto. Usually though they wear out and it takes me a month or two to get round to buying another one.
Keeping your car fresh. - AR-CoolC
I have a very nice coconut airfreshner from here www.carwashnwax.com

There are a few different ones to choose from.
Keeping your car fresh. - Jonathan {p}
A colleague as purple foot which is quite nice.

I've always used neutradol blue.
Keeping your car fresh. - Stuartli
A colleague as purple foot which is quite nice.>>

Must have circulation problems...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
You can get a Magic Tree air freshener in "New Car
Smell", I quite like that one. But I *do not*
hang it from the rear view mirror! My passender side
dashboard air vent has a conveniently shaped knob to hook it
onto. Usually though they wear out and it takes me
a month or two to get round to buying another one.

Be careful hanging air fresheners that are soaked in scent on the dash, they fetch the coloured coating off the dash over time.

I usually visit poundland and buy the £1 packs of 5 or 6 of the cardboard soaked-in-scent types and hang one on the coathanger hook on the rear grab handle. They last about 3 weeks each so I get about 3 to 4 months of varying fragrances for a £1.
Keeping your car fresh. - Statistical outlier
I don't understand air-fresheners. There are so many chemicals in everyday life anyway, why deliberately add to them with more?? All the ones I've ever smelt are sickly sweet and give me a headache quite quickly.
Keeping your car fresh. - Group B
Be careful hanging air fresheners that are soaked in scent on
the dash, they fetch the coloured coating off the dash over
time.

Its okay I leave Magic Trees in the plastic wrapper, so they dont mark the dash and dont let too much smell out at once!
Keeping your car fresh. - bignick
The autovacuum at my local petrol station has a "perfume dispenser" which offers (I think) "anti tobacco" "new car" and "leather" scents via a spray jet - I usually spray the rear seats/carpets quite heavily and find it lasts a week or so.
Keeping your car fresh. - barchettaman
I found recently that transporting a few 70 ltre bags of fermenting bark chippings lent the Astra an authentic, farmyard smell that several weeks of motoring has failed to shift.
Keeping your car fresh. - yorkiebar
assuming the car is clean generally but just needs a fresher smell, then....

Sit in the car windows closed etc, peel and eat an orange or 2. leave the peelings in ashtray or a bag overnight.

Works well but not for too long, so then contiue to repeat as needed.

Its healthy for you too and surprising how nice it makes the car smell.
I always end up squirting juice everywhere when I peel an orange, so I'd then have to valet the car which would kill the orange smell :-(
Keeping your car fresh. - yorkiebar
Maybe peel it in the house and then go and sit with it in the car?
Keeping your car fresh. - audiaudi
My car is 2 years old, and me and my are non smokers and rarely have anyone else in the car. Children are grown up and we are rarely very wet from rain when we get into the cat. I leave the windows open on hot day so the car is aried. Have the car hoveered once every 6 months and spray 'Oust' in the car overnight about once every 2/3 weeks and when some does sit in the car, they ussally say how clean, tidy and at times say it smells nice.

Having an animal in the car or home is a big NO
Keeping your car fresh. - psi
I use an air ionizer www.sharperimage.co.uk/iu629.html it is really good, i like smoking in my car from time-to-time, gets rid of the smell by the next morning when i leave it on, leaves the interior with a "neutral" smell, havent had to use an air freshener since i bought it.

recommened as a satisfied customer, no connection to companies!
Keeping your car fresh. - Collos25
If they work I'll eat my hat you have lost your sense of smell due to your habit.
Keeping your car fresh. - cheddar
I agree with SJB, fresh air.

Most air fresheners simply provide noxtious, eye watering, throat itching, nose iritating aromas that mask rather than erradicate any other smells that might be apparent hence they are banned in our cars and our house and when the wife came home with one of the plug in jobbies as advertised on daytime tabloid TV it went straight out of the window.

If we were to buy a 2nd hand car then little oranges, pine trees or traffic lights hanging off the rear view mirror would knock at least 500 quid off what we would be willing to pay.
Keeping your car fresh. - Vin {P}
"when the wife came home with one of the plug in jobbies as advertised on daytime tabloid TV it went straight out of the window."

Funny you should say that. When I saw the advert for one of those I told the wife that the day she brought one of those home would be the day I asked for a divorce. I think you took the soft option.

What's wrong with nice, fresh, (free!) air? If your car smells, clean it. Then it won't.

V
Keeping your car fresh. - Altea Ego
the day she brought one of those home would be the day I asked for a divorce.

Check the plugs daily Vin!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Keeping your car fresh. - Nsar
Ultra cheap air freshener is a sheet of Bounce - the stuff you put in tumble driers to make your clothes smell like they've been on the line.

Shove it under your seat - lasts a couple of weeks
Keeping your car fresh. - cheddar
Bounce and that genre are as bad as the hanging pine trees, I am however sensitive to such things, if the wife has done a wash with Ariel or Fairy and it is drying in the house I know within two mins of walking in, not because of the smell as such, rather I get an itch up my nose and a soreness in my throat combined with an unpleasant chemically taste, Persil non-bio is fine as is Tescos own currently (though the mutiples change their OEM supplier regularly so you cannot always be sure).

The afformentioned in-car fresheners have the same effect though I am fine with the smell of unleaded, diesel, hi performance two stroke or something classic running on Castrol R as I am with open fields and fresh air so I would rather let the outside into the car to ventilate it and use the recirc if following an old Datsun that is burning as much 20w/50 as it is LRP.

Other than CO2 it is quite reassuring to know how much a modern petrol engine actually cleans the air it uses and exhausts, it is good to know that the SL65 AMG one is following is taking the pungent aroma from the many Magic Trees hanging in numerous Toyotas (cos they are the cars in front) and tunring it into something breathable!
Keeping your car fresh. - Greg R
Saw it in HJ this week. Leave vinager open in the car, and it will eat any smell there might be!