metallic or non metallic black paint - stevegolf
Ready to purchase a new Golf Sport in Black,we have always had black cars 6 in the last 5 years and all metallic,being Astras and 2 Honda Civics 3 door( poor paintwork!!)

However should we go for the more expensive metallic or non metallic--we look after our cars extremely well and wash-wax-polish etc to keep them looking "like new".
One salesman says metallic sell on better and another says does not matter.
Any help and comments appreciated plus saving £365.

With thanks.
metallic or non metallic black paint - Blue {P}
I reckon Metallic is worth the extra, it really is more hard wearing than the flat black paints.

When my brother bought his Mini they had one with the flat blac roof in the showroom and fine marks could be seen under the lights, this on a brand new car...

Blue
metallic or non metallic black paint - chris_w
Definetley go for the metallic - When looking for used cars, I would rule out any non-metallic cars immediately.
metallic or non metallic black paint - Altea Ego
How about this... Tell him to give you metalic free or you go elsewhere for your car.
metallic or non metallic black paint - madf
Having had both (BMW 3 series) I would never ever have a non metallic again.

Looks bad unless polished regularly. Something I don't and won't do.

madf

metallic or non metallic black paint - P3t3r
Go for metallic. I've got metalic paint, and it looks a lot better! I've also heard that they wear better too.
metallic or non metallic black paint - DavidHM
Metallic but make sure you're haggling properly anyway... anything less than £1k off list (unless it's a GTi) or £1k p/x over allowance and you walk.
metallic or non metallic black paint - cheddar
Metallic ........

............. silver!
metallic or non metallic black paint - L'escargot
The only problem with metallic paint is getting a good match in the event of an accident repair. The density of the metallic particles can vary from one batch of paint to another. The most difficult colour to try and match is metallic gold.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
metallic or non metallic black paint - kenl
Hi, Good choice of car. I've got a metallic black mkV Golf.

I decided to go for metallic black as I had heard and think it true now after owning it for 10 months that metallic black doesn't look dirty as quickly as flat black. I also thought that metallic would hide swirls/light scratches slightly better.

Glasse's guide also recently published values for different colours of cars (premium models) and only metallic black had a positive effect on value. Silver was next at £0 and solid black third at -£200 or something.

I have to say though that when well waxed a solid black car looks the best.
Thanks all and to Ken.
I agree solid black when well waxed looks the job but I think going on opinions will stay metallic.

Is now just a question of the best deal from the 2 vw dealers,the trade in for imaculate 11/02 16k is crazy and little discount on the Golf--lets see what they can come up with.
What car target price 14,045 and they are still 14,900!
Try and play one dealer of against the other. Make sure you go armed with things like What car target price and quotes from the like of drivethedeal. If the dealer says they can't match those prices ask why not as drivethedeal get cars from UK main dealers.

Also print off a Glasse's valuation from their site (£3) or free if you snoop around vauxhall.co.uk.

If they won't play ball travel to a dealer who will.

I traded a car in when buying mine and giving a real value for my trade in worked out at £800 discount from a local dealer over a year ago. Prices have been reduced slightly since then.

On options I highly recommend the centre armrest, finishes the car off much better.

Have a look on the mkV forums of www.uk-mkiv.net site

thanks keni this is what I will do,and I printed out the Glasses quote hence my pushing on the part -ex.
Yes already opted for the centre arm rest as we do not like all those cup holders.
I will also look at the mkv forums-thanks again and I will keep you informed.
metallic or non metallic black paint - Rudedog
If you look at, and belive the VW web site for the Golf V, the exterior paint colours have recently changed.
You will find that metallic or pearl effect black is NO longer an option! as are some of the other colours that I was looking at for my new Golf.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/new_golf/paint
Yes that strange thank you for pointing this ouit,as of Monday the metallic was an option and at the dealers on Tuesday it was still an option.
However I am not surprised the dealer told me that they are always changing-e.g internal radio aerial and now standard roof one.
I will see what the dealer says today!
checked with vw and yes they have deleted the metallic black from the Golf range--they say is not selling!!
Back to another colour or the plain black-which sadly shows marks and the circular polish marks.
metallic or non metallic black paint - colinh
Strange - Golf brochure for "2006" model year, dated 1 June 2005, still shows Diamond Black as an option.
metallic or non metallic black paint - colinh
Sorry, forgot this bit:

www.vw.co.uk/assets/pdf/golf_hatchback_brochure.pdf
Been looked into on the golf forum. Someone waiting on a Diamond Black GTI phoned their dealer. He was told it is being dropped but cars currently on order should be OK.