Problems selling my Jazz - mab23

Hello all,

I'm having some difficulty selling my partner's Jazz... it's 03 reg, SE spec, 25k miles, one lady owner, in pretty good condition. It's got Honda warranty to the end of April next year.

We had it in Autotrader at 7.5k, had one call from a girl who was interested but in the end bought a new one.

It's been on ebay this week for 7k starting bid (no reserve), it had 20 people watching it and 600+ looked at the page, but no bids or calls to view. We had one text from someone making an offer at 6k.

At 7k it's the cheapest 2 year old SE spec Jazz for sale in the UK (according to Autotrader anyway). So I'm sure you'll all say "it's too expensive" but it's hard to explain that to the other half...

So does anyone have any ideas on how to sell it? How much would we get at auction or is that going to get us less than the guy offering 6k?

Mike
Problems selling my Jazz - kenl
How much is a new one and how much could you pick up a nearly new one from a dealer? Selling a car privately can be difficult as people seem unwilling to give money to a private individual. Stupidly they are happy to hand £1k or so more to a dealer for the same thing!

A year ago I couldn't sell my MINI for £9k, in the end I traded it and it went back to the original MINI dealer who had it up for £10495. It sold within a week!
Problems selling my Jazz - mab23

New one of this spec is about 10,500, and nearly new from Honda dealers is only a little less than a new one.

I should say that we offered to sell it back to the dealer but they weren't interested...

Mike
Problems selling my Jazz - Xileno {P}
The Jazz holds its value well so buyers face a dilemma - buy second hand or stump up a bit more cash and buy a new one. In reply to Kenl, I would always buy from a dealer if the margin was modest, say £1000, since you've got more legal protection and peace of mind.
Problems selling my Jazz - Bill Payer
You might be up against the same problem we had selling my wife's Clio 1.6RXE. A 'reasonable' price for that car put it up against nearly new lower spec Clio's.

Honda have introduced an entry level 1.2S Jazz that's available for not much over £8000. OK, it's not a 1.4SE, but many people don't see that - it's just a Jazz.

Also, at £7500 or so, there's a whole bunch of other new cars available now - the recent intro of the Toyota/Peugeot/Citroen triplets has caused some other manufacturers to push prices down.

I haven't sold a car privately for some years, but local advertising (we have a give away Buy-Sell sheet locally) used to produce the best results. Noticeboard at work perhaps? (you've got a better chance of getting a good price from someone who knows you and the car already). A friend of mine swears by putting the car outside his house with a sign in the windscreen.
Problems selling my Jazz - cheddar
You might be up against the same problem we had selling
my wife's Clio 1.6RXE. A 'reasonable' price for that car
put it up against nearly new lower spec Clio's.

Interstingly a few years ago we bought a nearly new 1.6RXE instead of a new lower spec Clio, never regretted it, great car.
Problems selling my Jazz - carl_a
There was a guy that wrote into 'The Times' say exactly the same thing about a while ago. Seems that the second hand prices may be strong but only via a dealer.

The price of your Jazz is right but anyone looking to spend that amount of money on a Honda will always look towards new cars or ones in the dealerships.

I was thinking of buying a new car a month ago and the Jazz was on my list, its nice but expensive for what it is. The Jazz also has a fault for tall drivers in that the seat doesn't go back as far as the competition. I went to see the colt too and you can have one of those new for under £7000 by working on the dealer or a top spec one nearly new for even less, I decided not to change but I would have bought a Colt because of the value.

Problems selling my Jazz - kenl
I was thinking of buying a new car a month ago
and the Jazz was on my list, its nice but expensive
for what it is. The Jazz also has a fault for
tall drivers in that the seat doesn't go back as far
as the competition. I went to see the colt too and
you can have one of those new for under £7000 by
working on the dealer or a top spec one nearly new
for even less, I decided not to change but I would
have bought a Colt because of the value.

Not everyone wants the best value in terms of purchase price but the best car in the class. The Jazz seems to be running away with things at the moment.
Problems selling my Jazz - Bill Payer
Not everyone wants the best value in terms of purchase price

I feel that's probably very true for the Jazz - it's a bit of an 'aspirational' rather than a practical purchase. OK I know it's got 'magic' seats etc, but who uses those - ours have *never* been folded down. It's almost in the same mindset bracket as say the Audi A2 or the Merc A Class, where you're paying for the badge more than anything else.

What I'm saying is that (sweeping generalisation follows) the sort of person that chooses this kind of car can generally afford to buy new.
Problems selling my Jazz - AK76
I would say the Jazz is many things but not aspirational.....

Its old people who buy it. they like:

Reliability.
And to get from A-B comfortably

And for old people that means brand new.
Problems selling my Jazz - stokie
Mike,

Advertise it for free on loot.com, I sold a car this way and the buyer travelled 150 miles.

Local papers often do 2 weeks for £20.

It's heartbreaking to shell out Autotraders prices then not sell

Stokie
Problems selling my Jazz - nick
Try starting it at £1000 on ebay with a reserve at £6k to £6.5k. You'll get far more bids if you start low. Do a 9 day auction finishing on a weekend evening.
I think as has been mentioned, it is possible to get new cars for this sort of money or not much more so a 2yr old car with 25k on it doesn't light a fire for many people.
Remember, anything is only worth what someone will pay for it; guide prices are just that, a guide.
Good luck.