Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - OAP
We realize that this subject is in danger of being flogged to death but would nevertheless appreciate the advice of those of you who have much more experience than me......also some previous threads have been just a little too technical for us.

My wife I hope soon to do a tour round the West Country and would welcome a voice telling us exactly where to turn without having an argument beforehand!

What we need is just a UK guide at minimum cost and as simple as possible to set up and use. We don't mind whether it is a dedicated unit or a PDA with GPS added. We really don't need a PDA but it's smaller size appeals and if it costs less we'll go for it. Charging from cigarette lighter socket also appeals.

Suggestions as to possible place to buy would be welcomed.

Many thanks.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - Truckersunite
Have you looked at the "tom tom go" it is an all in one system, self contained, voice guided and can easily be moved from vehicle to vehicle, i think you can get it for around £350. I personally use an Ipaq running the TomTom software, and I have to say I am quite impressed with it, I think pda systems can start from £250 so there is a cost saving, you also have the PDA to use for other things. I looked at quite a few of the different software applications around and found TomTom to be the simplest and clearest for me. It does have it's odd moments, but then so did "navigator" when I used to use that on a laptop,so I think they all would. With TomTom on a PDA you can also download extra points of interest, such as the positions of speed cameras, low bridges and the such like so you can make it a much more useful tool. Here is a link to a good site that may help you make a more informed choice www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.php

Hope the above helps.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - colinh
Recent "product test" by Auto Express may help (or confuse!):

www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/54953/portable_...l

The prices they quote appear to be RRP - check out on the web and you should better them.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - smokie
I still like my SmartNav but it probably looks expensive against some of those. GHives you other help though, as well as routing. www.smartnav.co.uk
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - martint123
I recently bought one of the Medion PDA/GPS devices as seen in Aldi/Halfords for £80 from Medion as one of their 'customer returns'. Amazing device, I would have saved days of my life if I had one in the past when I was on the road.
Sadly greed took hold and I sold it on ebay as I don't use the car all that much and it would be a distraction on the bikes.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - DavidHM
For simplicity and portability, TomTom Go is unbeatable. It's not that cheap but it's still quite reasonable compared to dedicated systems and, as a TomTom mobile (phone) user I can vouch for the general accuracy and clarity of the basic prodcut.

The only caveat is that there are a few new versions of the Go coming out quite soon, so the current one may look overpriced or underspecced very shortly. Even so, I'd still say it's worth the money.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - Brill {P}
I use a Mac (not a PC) does this affect my choice at all?
From Garmin website regarding Mapsource (which is there program for loading maps into their GPS's):

"Apple Macintosh compatibility is not available at this time."

You may be able to use a PC-emulator with your Mac. Not sure about other manufacturers.
sorry ...their program
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
TomTom GO is the obvious one - extremely easy to use, big bright display, large icons you can select with your finger, and just about the clearest, loudest voice guidance out there. You can use it straight out of the box.

The current GO has later maps than the PDA version of TomTom (Navigator 3) including the M6 Toll, but the software doesn't have as many features as the PDA version (i.e. it's simpler, and therefore easy to use!).

New versions of GO are coming soon, but TomTom say that earlier ones will be upgradeable to the new improved software (version 5). New PDA software (Navigator 5) will be almost the same.

You CAN load things like speed camera locations into the TomTom GO, pocketgps.co.uk being the best place to look.

One thing I've found with the current version of TomTom GO is that it's a bit too keen to route via motorways and major roads - this could be a hindrance if you're touring. I think the new version is a bit more flexible.

Remember the big benefit of any satnav isn't that it tells you where to go - it's that it tells you where you are!
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - martint123
One thing I've found with the current version of TomTom GO
is that it's a bit too keen to route via motorways
and major roads - this could be a hindrance if you're
touring. I think the new version is a bit more flexible.

Not sure about GO, but with tomtom for the PDA you can set 'average speed' for different road classes. If you want to stick to the back roads you can set motorway speeds to 30mph or something and it will keep you away from them.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - 007
>> One thing I've found with the current version of TomTom
GO
>> is that it's a bit too keen to route via
motorways
>> and major roads - this could be a hindrance if
you're
>> touring. I think the new version is a bit more
flexible.

I've not tried doing it but the cure for this might be to click on 'show route instructions' and if the proposed journey involves the use of Motorways, simply click on 'find alternative'.
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - Sheepy-by-the-Sea
Hi - just spotted your reply. For info - the original TomTom Go doesn't have ANY facility for changing routing preferences or average speeds, whereas TomTom Navigator 3 does.

I understand that the software in the latest TomTom Go has been enhanced, and now includes this facility - and the new version of Navigator (for PDA), due out soon, is based on the same software as the Go (previously they were completely separate).

More on this on www.pocketgps.co.uk
Sat-Nav. Which one for us? - eurocourier
TomTom GO is a popular choice amongst professional drivers, and gets good reviews in the transport industry related chatrooms.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - OAP

Have Tom Tom...Will Go......God Willing.

My thanks to all who so kindly replied to my question.

I am now the proud owner of a 'Tom Tom Go' dedicated device which I was able to purchase ex-demo for £295....can't be bad!

It is (second) childsplay to operate, there is no need to wear a hearing aid to hear it above the noise of radio etc and the nice young lady does not get annoyed with me if I don't do what she tells me.

To anyone else who is thinking about having Sat-Nav....if you are in any doubt as to which model to purchase, have a look at this review: www.lordpercy.com/tom_tom_go.htm It helped me to make my mind up. Scroll to bottom of same page for links to reports on other models.

And finally....while stocks last....Staples the office equipment people have a promotion until 30th March (in-store only...not on-line) with Sat-Navs at what they claim to be lowest prices in the UK.

Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Robbie
And finally....while stocks last....Staples the office equipment people have a promotion
until 30th March (in-store only...not on-line) with Sat-Navs at what they
claim to be lowest prices in the UK.

Sold out at the Southport branch.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Oz
I still like my SmartNav but it probably looks expensive
against some of those

Likewise my retro-fitted Alpine system (NVE-N077PS).
Great system, great software, but no upgradeability apparently (as I understand it, I will never be able to get an updated DVD for it).
I already asked both Navteq, who produce a large % of original maps for SatNav systems, and Alpine themselves, who appear to have moved on to touch-screen systems which use a different and incompatible DVD as I understand it.
So, although my present SatNav will always be 99-point-something correct, it will never for example show me the M6 toll road ...

Oz (as was)
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Lordpercy
Thanks for your kind words, nice to get feedback :)

TomTom have told us that the Version 5.0 software that is on the new 300, 500 and 700 models will be available to all current TTG owners.

The main difference with the new TTG units is they have bluetooth which allows the 500 and 700 units to act as a handsfree car kit.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - OAP

I had no idea that Members from 'The Other Place' visit this site....Welcome aboard!

Anyone wanting a sat-nav and have no success at Staples due to success of their promotion....should try Office World....same Group....same promotion.

With reference to improved software for Tom Tom, I found this info in another place (no, not that Place:o) .......

"Map Updates and other new features
TomTom have recently announced a major new update for TomTom Go.

The new version 5, which should be free for existing version 4.x users, includes the following features :

New maps
Full postcode search!
Customisable route calculation
Toll / Congestion Zone warnings
Itinerary planning
Support for the docking station
On screen compass
Configurable status bar"

Apparently these goodies are just a few weeks away....can't wait!

Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Citroënian {P}
Was reading the review of TT5 on pocketgps and there seems to be conflicting advice on the upgrade cost from 2/3.

Initiall TT said it would be free, but someone told the reviewer at CeBit it would be 49 Euros. TBH, I'd pay that just for the updated maps.

My only concern is that with all the new content available such as speed camera database and point of interest proximity warning that they'll bundle it all with the traffic subscription and it will become a standing charge. I don't use mine enough to justify that, so it would be a shame.

They're replacing the bluetooth gps unit too for one that lasts up to 8 hours so no need for in car chargers on long journeys.

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Citroënian {P}
Just logged into the TT site and found this :

>>{how to get updates}
Activation of your free TomTom PLUS trial or a TomTom PLUS subscription Alternatively you can buy Safety cameras directly from our site

So there's more money there for someone!
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - 007
Tom Tom enthusiasts may be interested to know that:

(1) There is a forum for TT owners at:www.streetfinder.co.uk/tomtom/reviews/page1.php

(2) There are answers to 323 FAQs here:
www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?ID=4&Language=...p

(3) The forthcoming up-date will include eighteen additional languages including.....Australian!!....it will greet you by saying "G'day Mate", providing you are wearing your hat with the corks on:o).
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Quinny
I've just bought a Navman iCN 610,and it's the dogs danglies.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - GeorgeOrwell
I have just installed a secondhand Dayton MS5100 system. I got the bits, around two years old, on ebay and they came with the extra TMC receiver (Traffic Message Centre -- puts traffic conditions ahead onto the display, and re-routes accordingly if necessary) Together with the latest latest disks for software, map and TMC it cost around £470 plus some locally-bought hardware bits for screwing stuff down. I bought a brand new, unused, French map disk with TMC on French ebay for £32 (£149 from Tele-Atlas)

I did the installation myself -- it's not for the faint hearted and I would not recommend it to anyone without a good knowledge of vehicle electrics and the ability to read the Haynes manual wiring diagram. As well as power connections, you have to tap into the speedo data connection and the reversing light for example.

However, for something like the cost of an upper-range TomTom or similar I have a full-blown system that must be about the most effective available. If you cannot do the work yourself, allow around £150 for professional installation, depending on the vehicle of course.

Well worth considering.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Altea Ego
"Dayton MS5100 system"

Its a good one too, I like the VDO 5000 range, works very well.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Ex-Moderator
s'wot I've got in the L/C - although I would never have touched the installation myself; especially given the hassle they had tapping into the speed data.
Feedback...(or, my new toy:o) - Badger
The problem is usually physical -- removing the instrument cluster to get at the speed data feed. It's generally the most accessible spot and usually the safest place, since the lead is more readily identifiable there. You have be sure to tap into the feed to the speedo head, and not the speed data feed to the ABS.
Ok My turn - Altea Ego
Quandry - Now my turn.

Do I go for the TomTom GO 300 or a PDA based system.

I have seen the TomTom GO and its very cute, really good bright screen and seems very useable. Question - want to use it for France, how much is the European Street level mapping and how do you get it. I assume you can have your UK on one SD card and Europe on another?

Now PDA

I really want one of these. TomTom3 running on an IPAQ 2110. How bright is the screen on the 2110? and how bad are the reflections likely to be in a car? Anyone bought the TomTom3 streetlevel maps for France?

Cheers
Ok My turn - Adam {P}
RF, I can only comment on the iPAQ itself. The device itself is surprisingly robust. I remember thinking when I got it, "This won't last if I drop it" so I did. 4 times and it worked perfectly!

By default, when there is no external power, the screen sets to half brightness which is more than fine - so much so, I lowered the screen brightness even more to conserve the battery. On full brightness it's very sharp and clear but I suspect in a car, you WILL need full brightness to counteract and reflections.

I remember outdoors it was sometimes difficult to see the screen. The only reason I never got Tom Tom for it was because I thought to myself, wherever I drive, for the most part, I know so I didn't really need it. However, if I did need to get an aftermarket SatNav device, I would buy another iPAQ and Tom Tom.

--
Adam
Ok My turn - meditek
TT Go 300 hopefully delivered by Tuesday. Will report.
Ok My turn - smokie
Used SmartNav to guide to home of passenger who has TomTom and lives in Basingstoke. He said his TT was nowhere near as accurate or clear as SmartNav (but was still good).
Ok My turn - meditek
That's why I waited for the new model.
Ok My turn - Altea Ego
lol
Ok My turn - OAP
(1) There is a forum for TT owners at: www.streetfinder etc...

There is a far better one at:

www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=v...3