estate or not an estate? - VTiredeyes
I need to find a decent estate. I think.
But I am seriously considering a bmw 525 or 530 tds saloon.
I could use roof bars and my load box for long stuff I guess.
Don?t need loads of room for work, just a big boot
But would like estate, but do I really need it, I don?t think I do?
I do around 40K miles a year, get paid by the mile.
So, the more mpg I get, the richer I get.
I drive a lot at night and love the bmw and audi red dials inside
Don?t want a saloon in audi though.
Wife is telling me to get mondeo, but I have had these for 8 years on and off.
(company cars)
I just cant make my mind up.
So I have a few choices.
1. bmw 525/530 tds saloon around £13K for a 2000/y
2. audi a4 avant 2000 around £11K but reminds me of passat
3. mg zt-t 130 53 plate £13K 10 miles
4. Volvo 2.5 v70 td £11K 70K miles w reg new shape
5. omega 2.5tds don?t know haven?t looked yet.
6. bmw 325tds too small
Any more ideas
Not Renault, citroen,
I am torn between, comfy oldish motorway cruiser and cheap newish low mpg focus or mondeo.
Decisions decisions
estate or not an estate? - Ivor E Tower
I'd always go for as new a car as possible, and being a practical person I'd never have a saloon. So, you cannot get a 5-series BMW estate and the 3 is too small. Omega with 2.5 diesel will mean the BMW unit and I think that will make the car more than a few years old as this engine was replaced by one of GM's own (or was it Isuzu?). MG is OK if you like it, otherwise it's down to the Audi or Volvo, and again at this age I think that the Volvo could be one with the Audi engine rather than Volvo's own D5 unit. So you have 3 to try out - go for a long test drive in each and see which you feel most comfortable and "at home" in. Have you considered the Focus estate over the Mondeo, or does the interior put you off? Personally I'd go for the Volvo; supremely comfortable especially if you are travelling long distaces.
estate or not an estate? - Vansboy
From what your describing, you'd like the 406 HDi estates- 110 engine, at least, 136 at best.

GLX spec is good,GTX very good, Executive adds leather, but not as nice to sit on, as the cloth.Thats not just my anti-dead animal skin attitude, but also comments from other backroomers, too!

The run out models are only in S, SL, SE pac (or similar, not meaning anything trim levels) & you get white dials, here!!All well priced, compared to 407!

Try one!!

VB
estate or not an estate? - Avant
Try a 5-door hatchback if you need the room but aren't sure whether you want an estate.

Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia (you could have a nearly new one for £13K), Seat Toledo all have huge boots.

Audi Avant isn't really like a Passat - tho' there isn't much wrong with a Passat, especially a TDI.

A Saab perhaps? Volvo V40 -go for the 2.0 turbo.

Oldish Mercedes estate - certainly not too van-like, ans lots of image.

And there are plenty of Japanese offerings in this size.

The most logical choice is probably an Octavia. But if your heart says it wants a BMW, no doubt you'll go for one (5-series Touring perhaps). Try as many as you've time for and see what you like.

Do let us know what you decide!
skoda, im sorry but dont like the look.
peugeot, drove one, didnt like the lack of acceleration of diesel.
saab, im selling my cab, see classif'd, so yes i do like them.
avant i would love new shape, but just out my budget for new shape, i think.
not too bothered with leather.
just dont like passat, dont ask me why, i dont know !
love the 525tds touring, but there are not many out there.
its just so hard choosing.
think its going to be a list, with eyes closed i think !
cheers 4 replys, what jap options are good?
estate or not an estate? - Vansboy
peugeot, drove one, didnt like the lack of acceleration of diesel.

Then it wasn't a 110 & CERTAINLY not a 136!!

Have another go in one!!

Or find a V6 petrol!!

VB
Jap options not plentiful; best would be the new Honda Accord Tourer but it will be outside your price range. I suspect that leaves just some Toyotas with the D4D engine but I don't think you will get anything large, such as an old-shape Avensis, too readily and maybe not within your budget. If you really would like a BMW 5-series diesel and there are some about, you'd do better to be prepared to maybe have a long search over a few months and scour all sources to get one, rather than settle for something else.
estate or not an estate? - cheddar
Try a Mondeo TDCi, 2.0 130 goes like stink, bags of torque, 50 mpg (there is now a 2.2 155ps, 400nm torque!!). Cavernous estate, sports car handling, Ghia and Ghia X have all the goodies, on 2004 models even a Zetec is well equiped. And the cabin is a really nice place to be.

My 2002 Ghia X hatch has not been totally trouble free though it would be difficult to find a better blend of comfort, refinment, performance and economy.
estate or not an estate? - nick
If you're happy with a petrol car and want to have some fun too, get a Subaru.
estate or not an estate? - Bagpuss
If you like driving, there is only one choice, the BMW 5 Series. Actually, the saloon rides better than the estate, is quieter and has a bigger boot assuming the seats in the estate are not folded.
estate or not an estate? - CG
I agree with Cheddar - I've just bought a Jan 04 Mondeo TDCi Zetec Estate (130) and it's a real delight to drive. Mpg is currently around 53, although I am taking it easy for now as the mileage was quite low. Nevertheless, the performance is excellent if you choose to use it. The interior is very comfortable and well-designed, and I doubt you will find another estate in that range with better space. My only worry is the depreciation......

CG
estate or not an estate? - LongDriver {P}
Get a Galaxy!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Galaxy costs more to insure than many of the listed estates. However it ofers at least 3 advantages: (1) excellent driving position; (2) option of giving 2 more people a ride when you don't have that much "stuff" to carry; (3) will carry loads more (pun intended) than a normal estate. (It's also much easier to park than an estate because it has front and rear parking sensors, and it's shorter than the current Mondeo estate too)
would love a scooby, but i get 18pence a mile as well as £350 a month towards purchasing one.
i do around 40K miles a year. i always seem to come back to the mondeo as well.
but...
now i have a choice, i would like to choose something different !
on my list now is
mondeo hatch or estate?
a6 1.9tdi avant
bmw 525 tds touring

my problem is i have around 12K to spend.
also considered
seat leon 1.9 tdi 130bhp
volvo v70 2.5td estate

i need to make my mind up, its doing the wifes head in !
To get the cash in on the mileage, it needs to have a really good mpg, but still need room for the one time you need a big car, with 2 kids, wife.
but, because i can choose--- would like something good looking
its weird, half of me wishes i just had a company car again, none of the worry and new mondeo every year?
estate or not an estate? - LongDriver {P}
OK, if you want a Scooby, try a Subaru Forester. Get the Turbo model and you get the same engine as a Scooby turbo...

Wolf in Faaaaarmers clothing...
estate or not an estate? - spikeyhead {p}
at 18p a mile, this won't cover the fuel economy of the scooby turbo engine. 20mpg was the norm for my Imprezza, and that could be reduced by heavy use of the right foot.

Add in a full set of tyres every 10k miles (£500 a set fot the Imprezza) a clutch thats too easy to strip, expensive insurance and the budget is blown.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
noo not a galaxy, had a alambra (the seat one) it was like driving a van, dont enjoy the upright postion, ahem ahem !
if you know what i mean.;-)
estate or not an estate? - Avant
If you're considering an A6, go for the 2.5 TDI: the 1.9 is good but that's quite a big body for it to haul around. The 2.5 shouldn't use much more fuel.

But if the Seat Leon ha a big enough boot for you, an A4 Avant would do. Because it's front-wheel-drive, the boot is as big as an RWD 5-series Touring.

Volvo V70 is certainly worth trying if you do need the space - you'd probably get a newer one than a 5-series within your budget.
found a fully loaded volvo v70 2.5 tdi se green, beige leather, x reg 2000, the new shape
its got the lot.
83K miles 11grand
what would the mpg be like on this, mway at 70mph
parkers is saying 44mpg, is this realistic?
would love a volvo, big safe strong motor.
estate or not an estate? - Pete M
In the Jap options, you could always consider a Mitsubishi Galant Estate (Legnum) '96 - '00. Should be available in 1.8, 2.4 fours and 2.5 V6 (normally aspirated or twin turbo). Most FWD, but some are 4WD. VR-4 has excellent specs and HJ gives it a good write up. Very pleased with my VR-4, but there are lots of Galant/Legnum 96-00 models here, of all specifications, so seem to have a good reputation.
estate or not an estate? - cheddar
18p a mile, buy a Mondeo TDCi and put 10p a mile in your pocket!
estate or not an estate? - Hawesy1982
Even though you clearly desire an Audi or BMW, the Leon or Mondeo really are the sensible choices.

Both will return over 50mpg on the motorway (with the Leon being the best), both have very strong 130bhp engines. The Mondeo is group 9 to insure and the Leon group 7/8, compared to BMW and Audi being well into the teens i would guess.

Neither the Mondeo or the Leon would be any more likely to breakdown than an Audi or BMW, and finally - both will set you back a lot less money to buy than the Audi or BMW, meaning you will be able to get a 6month-18month old if you wish.

AND i think the Leon looks pretty good too
Suspect you'll get nearer to 40 than 44 mpg from the Volvo. Looks like a reasonable price especially with all that kit; go for it!
estate or not an estate? - DavidHM
Extremely senisble advice from Hawsey.

www.smartermotoring.com would give you about £16k over three years for your £350 a month, assuming this is after tax.

That should put you into a new Mondeo Ghia X diesel estate, or a six month old one and a lot of change (e.g., £14k from Motorpoint). It's luxurious, quick and reasonably reliable. If the Leon is big enough, it's even quicker and very good looking. If you want total reliabilty, an Avensis would be a good choice.

If you're after a BMW, £12k will buy you this (and £14k might just get you into an estate): tinyurl.com/6fzmn

However that car is two or three years down the road towards unreliability - at six years and 200k it'll be worth roughly the same as a three year old, 120k Mondeo and the maintenance and fuel costs will have been higher. If you're driving 40k a year, can you afford time off the road? I wouldn't rule it out but I wouldn't run a business on this car.
estate or not an estate? - JohnM{P}
If you're going to be driving 40k/year, consider carefully seat comfort, quietness as well as mpg. Being able to walk upright, without ringing in the ears (from wind/road/engine noise + radio turned up to drown it out) is boring but important!
I have the impression that estates and hatches are more noisy than saloons; boots are usually more secure also.
VAG diesels are the most efficient; go for Passat rather than previous A4. Rover 75/MG beautifully refined...
If I had to drive 40,000 miles a year, I'd sure do it in a Volvo over a Mondeo! Laso company I worked for had a Mondeo estate as pool car - most uncomfortable car I have ever driven, pain in feet and legs within half an hour. OTOH I've driven my parents Volvo estates for thousands of miles across Europe with no bother.