BackRoom Get-Together ? - volvoman
Hi all.

Apparently this has been tried before and failed so I'm not getting my hopes raised. Anyway, it would appear that a few of us are interested in getting together and so I thought it would be wise to seek some feedback and ideas on how/when/where it could be done.

Mark agrees in principle but points out that this has been tried before, tends to get too complicated and becomes impractical. A single 'national' meet-up might be impossible but what about the possibility of more than one regional event ?

Haven't given the practicalities of this much thought yet
so anyone got any ideas ?
BackRoom Get-Together ? - David L
Hi VM,

I too agree in principle, as it would be a great way to put faces to the names, and such like. I also agree that a regional event would be a lot more likely to suceed. Perhaps if there was enough demand from a few regional events, a national event could be considered then(?)

Anyway - how? I'd recommend getting together some vague location information on anyone who's interested, (say, in this thread..) and then perhaps arrange a meet-up at, say, a prominent pub, in a public place or such like.
It may not be wise to arrange a big formal get together until you have ideas for numbers, etc.
Obviously, use common sense - I wouldn't advise just 2 people meeting up in a quiet country pub, down a quiet country lane.

That's my views, anyhow.

-David L.

BTW, I'm quite up for the idea, and my are of interest would be the NW (pref Liverpool-Manchester and surrounding areas).
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Dynamic Dave
I think the only way to arrange for a number of peeps to meet up would be to do so at some motoring event or other (car show maybe?)

Failing that, howabout HJ hires a hall at the NEC or Earls Court. Make it a ticket only "do" Each punter pays say a tenner per ticket to reimburse HJ for the hire of the hall. It could be called the HJ Roadshow!!
Hi DD - my original thoughts were that it would need to be linked to another event if it were going to be anything other than a small, informal local/regional meet somewhere. I agree that a fee should be payable if it was gonna be anything other than a small affair to ensure people turned up and that nobody was left out of pocket. Let's see what develops here and how much interest there is. Perhaps a few small meets locally would spawn a bigger event at some future point.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Mark (RLBS)
Definitely keep it small and unamibitious to start with.

I think it's a good idea, and if it is somewhere reachable. I'll be there. But I think many people are wary or perhaps nervous of such a thing.

Still, good luck.

As it happens I just saw a statistic that said the Backroom was visited by 41,000 different people in January, obviously a lot of them are read-only, but you'd think that a reasonable meeting would be possible out of that lot - mind you, a round would be pretty expensive.

M.

p.s. - not "hits" or multiple visits, but actually different people and each counted only once.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - bafta
A round for 41,000 people! Does DD know its his shout as the newly appointed one. (I nearly wrote annointed). Anyway I'm on for a meet, perhaps local at first. I must say I like the idea of a gathering attached to a show, in the august presence of our leader.
A round for 41,000 people! Does DD know its his shout
as the newly appointed one.

Here you go guys.

www.ampm.com/games/images/beer_glass_play.gif

You'll have to supply your own straw though.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - DeeJay
Mark(RLBS) quoted a statistic that 41000 people visited this forum in January . Do we know how many individuals posted (at least once )in that time ? I am assuming , maybe wrongly , that it would be mainly contributers who would wish to attend a get together . What do the panel think? DeeJay .
BackRoom Get-Together ? - volvod5_dude
Somewhere in the Midlands would be good.

VD5D.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Andrew-T
Why not arrange to go to a respectable car auction and all come home with a bargain?
*a respectable car auction*
Is this, possibly, an oxymoron?
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Oz
*a respectable car auction*
Is this, possibly, an oxymoron?

Yep - like alcohol-free beer (the alternative accompaniment to a drive-to meeting).
I too would be happy to get on a train for it.
Just curious - anyone else anywhere near the Surrey/Hants borders?
Oz (as was)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - No Do$h
Just curious - anyone else anywhere near the Surrey/Hants borders?
Oz (as was)

A mere hour's drive. I'm based in Poole but often find myself in Reading (pah!) for my sins
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Mike H
I live near Petersfield (Liss), I might be interested in the local meet.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Dan J
We tried this once before without too much success but I'm game. If someone can come up with something suitable count me in.

Perhaps meet in some pub for lunch? Maybe a Southern and Northern meet? Lunchtimeish kind of arrangement would be best IMHO opinion as that gives everyone time to drive there and then back home again without too many issues. If you start arranging late night drinking sessions or anything like that it ruins it as people aren't prepared to get accommodation etc so don't bother.

Good luck! Are you organising then Volvoman? :)

I think those who suggest a number of small local meets first are on the right track. I'm (and HF I reckon) would be happy to travel into London for anyone who wants to meet there but that won't be convenient for most of you. Drinking and driving doesn't mix so I think we need to arrange locations which are relatively easy to get to. I guess we need to get an idea of who's really interested and where they are so we can decide who meets whom and where. Anyway got to go now - Mrs V is having a belated birthday celeb with some girlie friends from work. Looks I'm gonna be outnumbered about 10 to 1 but I think I can take it (just) :-)

PS Dan - I'd be happy to arrange a meet here but I'm not sure how convenient Orpington/London is for people.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - HF
Hi, for me driving and meeting people for the first time doesn't mix too well either - drinking is definitely required to allow me to refrain from my usual elegant wallflower status ;)

So, 2 things - quite willing to use train;

However, there *was* some extremely sexist talk from V a while ago that non-males were to be excluded anyway :(
HF
BackRoom Get-Together ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"..non-males were to be excluded.."

Wot! No women? Doesn't sound much fun to me...
Thank you, JBJ, for your support of us inferiors, and for your stand against the sexist comments to which I previously alluded ;)
HF
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Dan J
I currently live in the North West Volvoman and am happy to go to any meet there but I also spend about half my time in London too so you can count me in for that too.

Should I be ashamed that I had to look up where Orpington was? :o)
Should I be ashamed that I had to look up where
Orpington was? :o)

>>

No, Dan J, it's more that people should be ashamed for admitting to living there ;)
HF
Phil you're right - how on earth did you know that?!!!

Nice to be famous for something so inspiring, I suppose....
HF
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Phil I
Just another piece of normally useless info stashed away over the years which surfaces from time to time. Misspent youth perhaps.
En passant keep me posted re yr difficulties with BS.

You WILL win in the end shall be the motto.
Thanks for that, Phil, I'll keep you informed, as and when there are any developments.
HF
HF what's with all this anti-Orpington garbage ? We're all very happy here and would much rather reside here most other places I've been. I'll grant you that there are bad bits (name me somewhere that doesn't apply to) and freely admit that a certain local pub is a complete tip which is why I tend not to go there, but other than that I think Orpington's a pretty good place to live.

Consider yourself seriously TOLD OFF therefore ! :-)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - No Do$h
Just a note to say count me in for the southern one. Me and the future Mrs No Dosh would be more than happy to come along with a tupperware box of cheese sandwiches and sit on the Kentish seafront..... With a tart rug over our knees, naturally.
V - this has gone dead - have you stopped arranging/organising?
HF
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Hugo {P}
Well,

Forget the NEC, I think we should hire the Cornwall Colucium or somewhere in Devon. Thats nice and local for me!

Seriously though, it does pose something of a problem, we take the electronic era for granted and when we discuss actually getting together in person, all that geography gets in the way.

As this is a motoring forum, we should use something like the Earls Court or the NEC motorshow to get together. Earls Court would be my personal favourate as there are relatives I can stay with.

Alternitively, why not come down to the Westcountry for the weekend and combine the trip with a short holiday?

Hugo
You're putting 41,000 of us up for the weekend Hugo?
HF;)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Martin Devon
Well,
Forget the NEC, I think we should hire the Cornwall Colucium
or somewhere in Devon. Thats nice and local for me!
Seriously though, it does pose something of a problem, we take
the electronic era for granted and when we discuss actually getting
together in person, all that geography gets in the way.
As this is a motoring forum, we should use something like
the Earls Court or the NEC motorshow to get together. Earls
Court would be my personal favourate as there are relatives I
can stay with.
Alternitively, why not come down to the Westcountry for the weekend
and combine the trip with a short holiday?
Hugo

I'm with you Hugo. West is best. DEVON or Cornwall will do. Show those city guys, (and Girls HF), just what they're missing.

Regards.
Thank you for including me, Martin ;)

Ever so humbly,
HF
Nope - just recovering from the excesses of
Sat pm/Sun am !!

I think that linking a get-together with Earls Court/NEC is great but still feel that some small local meets would be a good idea - a sort of test run if you like. If you ask everyone what they want they'll come back with 41,000 different answers but if a few keen folks say "we're gonna be at 'Ye Olde Wrench & Oil Stain' in ??? from lunchtime on the ??? of ??? , why not come along" we'd all get a better idea if people are really interested.

I've no problem suggesting a local meet for you and I and anyone else who's interested to come to. If nobody shows up we'll just get drunk together and you can tell me all about how career women manage to juggle so many balls at once ! ;-)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - matt35 {P}
No Dosh,

Re the 'future Mrs No Dosh'....
First - very best wishes on your forthcoming marriage!
Second - will you then post as 'Even less Dosh'?

Regards,
Matt35.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - smokie
Just a thought - how will Backroomers recognise each other? Now there's a revenue opportunity HJ - how about producing HJ baseball caps or t shirts!

In fact, thinking about revenue, why not produce some car stickers and/or grille badges (complete with web site address) and sell them on this site at humungous profit? I'm sure the regulars here would stump up a couple of quid for one...
That idea is so hilarious it's just wonderful!!!

Only problem with the baseball caps is, if most of us were wearing them back to front we'd STILL be unable to identify each other.
HF;)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Citroënian {P}
Surely the bset way to spot each other is a trilby and some aviator sunglasses?

:-)
If we have to wear baseball caps, does that mean we also have to drive to the event with our front fog lights on?
BackRoom Get-Together ? - GRowlette
Come and see us, no fog lights needed, we're in the middle of our summer. Good airfares too right now. Experience traffic that will make you glad to get back on M25. Beach resort about 15-18 pounds a night. Biggest shopping malls you ever seen.

If you want to get married here, bring your bride and nowhere in the world does a more romantic job than we do. If you don't have a lady yet we have plenty of beauties waiting for you. You will never forget the sunsets.

You still want to talk about cars, ok, we can do that too ;+O

wowphilippines.com.ph

BackRoom Get-Together ? - smokie
"we have plenty of beauties waiting for you"

Just a couple would do for me, I'm getting on a bit...
BackRoom Get-Together ? - terryb
...but not beyond bragging a bit eh smokie??? :o)
Look people this thread isn't going anywhere really, and after such a promising start. If anyone would like to meet up somewhere in Worcestershire which is local to me then email me on volvod5_dude@hotmail.com if not well at least I tried.

Cheers

VD5D.
Hey dude, I hope that it is. I've already purchase the trilby. As I live in Suffolk with one man and his dog I would be willing to come to the metropolis. No, not Ipswich, London.
Bafta, can you recommend a good tailored trilby shop? And what about the glasses?
HF
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Pat L
volvo_5dude

I live near Evesham and would be happy to meet fellow BR contributors at a local pub! The Fleece at Bretforton is my local.

Pat
>>volvo_5dude

>>I live near Evesham and would be happy to meet fellow BR >>contributors at a local pub! The Fleece at Bretforton is my >>local.

Pat

I live in Pershore, so that's not far away and I know the Fleece at Bretforton. Any other Back Roomers live in the area who could meet up?

Cheers

VD5D.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Stargazer {P}
Pat, VD5D

I am in NW Oxfordshire, a few train stops from Pershore/Evesham on the Cotswold line, about 35miles from Evesham by road. Any one interested in a country pub in the Cotswolds somewhere between Oxford and Evesham

regards

Ian L.
Ian,Pat

What about Moreton in the Marsh there ia a station there? It would be easier if you emailed me on volvod5_dude@hotmail.com and perhaps we could set something up between ourselves.

VD5D.
Ian, Pat,

Just had a message from Toad of Toad Hall, he is also keen to meet. His parents live in Broadway so anywhere along the A44 between Broadway and Oxford would probably suit him but only weekends. So get in touch please.

Middleman as you live in Malvern perhaps you would be interested as well, you could meet me in Pershore and we could go on together.

Cheers

VD5D.
Sorry I meant Midlifecrisis not Middleman. But, you are also welcome Middleman if you live near enough.

Cheers

VD5D.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - M.M
It's nice to be on the included list but...

Despite going to school in Evesham, having my first job in Pershore and a current family connection in Broadway...

I'm now over the flat side of the country!

Very tempted if Toad is going though.

MM
Sorry MM, I get easily confused. Be great if you could make it though.

Cheers

VD5D.
VD5D

I have emailed you offline.

A note to any London based readers: The proposed area is very well served by frequent trains from Paddington to the Evesham/Pershore/Moreton area via Oxford. About an hour and a half from London.

Ian
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Pat L
Ian, VD5D & Toad

Moreton in Marsh is a good location for a get together. I don't know the pubs that well but there are at least a couple that look nice from the outside! Let's try to agree a date.

Pat

"Moreton in Marsh is a good location for a get together. I don't know the pubs that well but there are at least a couple that look nice from the outside! Let's try to agree a date."

Pat,

Please email me at "volvod5_dude@hotmail.com" then we can all make the arrangements. It will be difficult to do via this thread.

Cheers

VD5D
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Tomo.
Oh, dear, these nice Cotswoldy places where Heather and I used to enjoy holidays. You would not care to see if the Lamb (and Flag, look carefully at the old sign) in Burford is still OK, and the Hookey is still borne up from the cellar; and if the Cotswold Arms has another fat cat (George must be long gone)?

Or have a pint of Broadside around Southwold, in the East?

For instance.

Wherever, I fear that in respect of any chance of getting there my posterior prominence is protruding from the fenestral aperture. And you wouldn't really want an old buffer anyway.

But, somebody have a good pint of bitter for me!

Cheers

Tomo
Do the plane tickets/accommodation come free to registered site members, HJ?
HF
If registered site members paid £10k a year to be so
then I might think about it.

Do the staff get a trade discount? ;o)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Mark (RLBS)
>>Do the staff get a trade discount? ;o)

Yes, but its balanced by the subscription you have to pay for the edit button.
What\'s a subscription?
Oi, thats cheetin. Takin advantig of the edit buttun to change yor spellin mistaik after I pikked up on it.

I see you have tinkered with the edit button yet again!!
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Gazza
Regional pub-meet seems a great idea. However, it usually limits the number to less than 40 people for a mid-size pub. I went to a Scorpio meeting once and 40 of us filled the pub.

Would it be better if a regional "leader" suggests
1. a date (Saturday or Sunday lunch?)
2. a place (a large pub just off the motorway? Like George IV in Baldock off A1(M) J9)
3. see how many reply (yes/no) there is?

BackRoom Get-Together ? - Dave_TD
Like George IV in Baldock off A1(M) J9)

Now we're getting closer! ;o)
As a TD, DTD, I would expect for you to be able to go far as well as near.
HF ;)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - Gazza
> Now we're getting closer! ;o)

Only if someone is organising it.
Hmmm DD, your spelling has become atricious since I first read your post ;)
Hmmm DD, your spelling has become atricious since I first read
your post ;)

Mark's been exercising his edit button again.
I know ;)
BackRoom Get-Together ? - DavidHM
Anywhere feasible in the south east, count me in.
BackRoom Get-Together ? - David Lacey
I'd be up for this - we (www.mg-rover.org) often meet up at various pubs around the country - the last one at the Motor Show (NEC) was a cracker.

Difficult to organise and keep everyone happy but well worth it.
It's really strange meeting people face-to-face who you've got to know through your keyboards I can tell you!

MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org
David,

I see that you are west country based.....if a pub lunch in the Cotswolds (Moreton-in-Marsh) is possible for you then email VD5D at his address given above, looks like 4 or 5 interested so far

regards

Ian L.