Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - garyc923

Hello,

I have just checked my water coolant level this morning and noticed the water has gone a greyish brown and is full of sediment. My initial thoughts is the head gasket, but the water level hasn't dropped and the oil level is normal. I intend on draining the system tomorrow and replacing with fresh water to see what happens. The vehicle has done 136k miles.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Gary.

Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - unthrottled

Not enough antifreeze. Iron block and water...

[slapped wrist]

We've all done it. Our engines generally survive.

Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - garyc923

[slapped wrist]

[slapped wrist]

I hope you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What puzzles me though is that this grey material has only appeared over the last month. Car still runs fine though, isn't using any water or oil, and isn't 'steaming' from the exhaust pipe.

Just a quick update. I emptied the coolant today and was greeted with grey water. There was also a 'coloured reflection' sat on top of the water, indicating that there is some sort of contamination.

Whilst empty, I took the opportunity to run my finger inside the coolant tank. There is a lot of grey sludge present, along with seperate black and white globules.

The whole system has been flushed through with fresh anti freeze added, but I fear that this problem is going to cost me a hell of a lot more than £7.95.

Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - bathtub tom

I know someone who flushed his cooling system after a HG blow, but couldn't seem to get it clean.

He put a dishwasher tablet in the radiator and ran it with that for a while. Reckons it came up spotless.

Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - unthrottled

I fear you may be right. Grey sludge sounds like oil to me. Rusty water is kind of brown and rusty-no sludge. :(

Just a quick update. having flusherd the system out I used the car for a further 150 odd miles. The sludge in the coolant tank had thickened up to an almost black colour. Having taken it to a friend who had previous experience of these engines, he suggested it may be a failed oil cooler. He has since completely removed the cooler, flushed the system out and ran the car. It appears to have cured the problem. Only time will tell!!!

Peugeot 306 d-turbo HDI 2.0 (year 2000) - Muddy water in coolant tank - GregorianChant

Hi Gary, my 406 HDI (2000) has the same issue in that from nowhere the coolant has just turned into black sludge. I'm hoping that it's not the HG as although its only done 160K (only !!) I have owned this car from new and have had it religiously serviced every 10K miles without fail.

Also engine has never over-heated (always goes to half way point on gauge) and does not loose any coolant (the black sludge is right up to the top of the filler cap). Also oil level is fine (midway between max and min).

I would really be disapointed to discover HG with no other warning e.g. (engine light, temperature gauge, white smoke, needing to fill up fluid levels in-between service etc), especially knowing the history of such a well looked after motor.

As per post above-the oil ccoler should be your first port of call.