Renault Laguna II - Laguna 2.2 dCi VERY high fuel consumption - qwerty321
Before I start, yes I got a Renault, bad mistake so I dont need any of that information :D

For a while now I have been getting really low fuel economy on my 53 plate Laguna 2.2 dCi. Hoping you guys here can provide some suggestions.

The official figures are around 33/43/53mpg for town/combined/motorways respectively.

Got the car in June and for the usual commute (90% motorway, 10% town) it was averaging around 45mpg. Around town was 26mpg

I started experiencing some power loss issues when I got on to motorways at around 70mph when putting my foot down to get up to speed. Used to get a coil light appear on the dashboard as well. I wouldn't lose all power but it was like the turbo had gone with VERY slow speed pick up. Took it to my mechanic who changed the engine gaskets. This didn't solve the problem and infact made it worse. The car started doing around 32-34mpg on the commute and 18mpg around town

After some more investigation it turned out that the inlet manifold was cracked. Got this replaced and it sorted the power loss issues but not the fuel consumption.

After some more investigation the mechanic said that there was some smoke from around the injector seals and it was worn so that could be a possible cause. He did say this might not sort it but it cost me £30 for parts and labour so I had it done. I didn't get my hopes up about it being resolved but what I saw today was not expected.

The car averaged 26mpg on the commute!!! Thats with an average speed for 45mph over about 45 miles. 35mpg I could afford, even though it wasnt how the car should perform. 26 is beyond stupid! I will be giving him a call to tell him this and I think now is the time to bring up the fact that the fuel consumption issues started after his gasket change (someone else did the inlet manifold). Didn't really bring this up before because the mechanic is a good guy. Ive lost count of the amount of times he has checked niggly issues for no charge whatsoever on this car and my last.

So, any suggestions as to what it could be?
Renault Laguna II - Laguna 2.2 dCi VERY high fuel consumption - Altea Ego

HOw many miles has it done?

Renault Laguna II - Laguna 2.2 dCi VERY high fuel consumption - qwerty321

About 67000.

Also passed the MOT with no issues and was serviced about a month ago. 2 weeks before the injector seal change.

Renault Laguna II - Laguna 2.2 dCi VERY high fuel consumption - Altea Ego

What gaskets were changed? If he has done the head gasket i would suspect the cam belt timing.

The 2.2 dci was never the worlds best engine for MPG, unlike the 1.9 dci.

No mention of the EGR being changed i see, thats unusual. They are normally well clagged by that mileage.

Renault Laguna II - Laguna 2.2 dCi VERY high fuel consumption - Fernando P

The 2.2DCi auto (Sp Tourer) will do 40 - 42 mpg on the motorway and at worst ~37mpg (the official average) on shorter runs. The manual version should do even more. assuming that the cam belt has been set correctly and that there is no gasket problem to deal with, it sounds like you need to clean (and check) the EGR valve and possibly the "throttle chamber" where it sits, which usually needs a good clean every couple of years. It is not a difficult DIY job if you are mechanically minded, if not you will need someone who knows what to do to get involved. It makes a material difference to the performance when all is reasonably clean in that area. The signals that a periodic clean is required are when you notice slower pulling away accompanied by quite a puff black smoke and, of course, (much) worse fuel consumption. This engine benefits from hard work and every week or so you need to pull away fairly sharpish to clean the slight soot that builds up around the EGR valve. The good news is that if you look after this engine, use fully synthetic 5w/40 oil and change it at 9k mls or annually if less mls (to keep the turbo well lubricated) , it will go on and on and need less EGR valve cleaning! at 67K mls your engine is just becoming run in and should go very efficiently at higher mileages. BTW you need to consider changing the glow plugs ~70K mls which costs £45 ish for parts and is simple to do ( if you know how)!