Bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - diddy1234
A mate has lost his keys on his car so brought a key (all through legal channels at the dealer).

Now he needs to get the key programmed to the immobilizer.

Only problem is, he has to take the car to get the key programmed to the car at the garage.

Option 1, wife tows him to the dealer (40 mile trip - wife never towed before)

option 2, Somehow I temporarily bypass the immobilizer and mate drives car to garage himself.

So my thinking is that the immobilizer disables ignition and possibly solenoid to the starter motor.

so if i get power to the solenoid that allows power to both then the car is drivable.

any ideas, has anyone done this ?

Edited by Pugugly on 07/11/2009 at 19:31

bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - bell boy
its not that simple on most cars and as you dont mention what car it is its impossible to say
wife would be nuts to tow for 40 miles though and unless you have the proper equipment is also illegal
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - diddy1234
its a proton satria (x reg)

The cost of a low loader is out of the question (quoted over £200).
Hence the towing option.
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - McP
Have they got breakdown cover?
Maybe it broke down a couple of miles from home if no home start?

Towing is not a good idea. I towed SWMBO with a rope for a few miles. It was not a nice experience for either of us. 40 miles is a long way.
ah a proton, sorry no idea then.
can you not get a mobile key man out to programme your key to the car?
a 40 mile recovery should be around £90 by the way your quoted price is way out of order
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - Stuartli
Check the manual. There's a routine for my VW if you use the spare car key (it involves turning the key in the door lock in a particular sequence).
well i tried locating the immobilizer unit and could not find it anywhere.

Also went through every relay possible and non of them were the immobilizer output.

so it looks like towing is the only option.
However SWMBO does have AA cover so that may well be put to the test next week.

thanks for all of your answers / suggestions.
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - jc2
In our area(Essex) there are mobile locksmiths about complete with electronics capable of recoding.
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - martint123
Depending on age, immobilisers are built in to the whole vehicle electrics rather than an obvious addon box. Some even need a hugely expensive ECU replacement if the master key is lost.
I wouldn't be happy if it could be easily bypassed with fiddling with a relay.
bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - movilogo
An RAC man once told me [quite recent] that they can bypass immobiliser in many cars [barring most modern ones]. So, I think for any X reg car, it will be possible.

bypassing immobiliser - is it possible - Doc
This site may help:

tinyurl.com/yu6ljh

nice find doc
An RAC man once told me [quite recent] that they can bypass immobiliser in many
cars [barring most modern ones]. So I think for any X reg car it will
be possible.
i can do quite a few older cars and have taught myself weezes to profit but modern motors mainly are indeed impossible to cheat
well my friend is going to call out a mobile key cutter and will also program the key without the car being towed at all.

costs a bit more though but well worthy it as no damage to towing car or possible safety issues.

thanks for the replies anyways.