98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - t2myd
ive got a 306 dturbo ,problem is the rev counter ,itseems to have a itermitent fault ,it seems to work then goes off ?

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2009 at 22:32

98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - oldnotbold
I had the same in a 405 - I lived with it....
98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - Peter.N.
Unless you car has electronic engine management the rev counter is driven from the TDC sensor which is mounted at the top of the gearbox bellhousing just below the cylinder head. The most likely problem is poor connections on the two pin plug just above. Pull it apart, clean the pins and apply a little grease.
98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - AntP
Hi there,

I have a 1996 D Turbo and have been trying to locate the sensor which controls the rev counter. Similar problems, rev counter cuts out after about 3 minutes - and doesnt even work everytime i start the car.

I've uploaded some images of my Engine Bay - Im hoping someone who knows what they are talking about can tell me which photo and roughly where the culprable sensor is! Im hoping that someone who has already replied to this thread will be able to help!

My knowledge of the Engine anatomy is growing but not great!

From Left to Right..

Engine Bay A
tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zgyhas&s=3

B
tinypic.com/view.php?pic=epqjrq&s=3

and C
tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5l1kza&s=3

I appreciate that this will be quite hard to describe - but hoping someone is able to - as there are a lot of different views of where this sensor is on the net.. And I'm Stuck!

My inkling is that its the sensor on Picture C, about a third up from bottom and in the centre - its mostly obscured but you can just see a white connector block. This is connected to what appears to be about an 18mm socket and has two pins coming out of it. Ive tried cleaning and greasing the pins but cant get it to do owt!

Many Thanks

Ant
98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - RichardW
You're looking in the wrong place... the sensor in C is most likely the reverse light switch. The sensor for the rev counter is on the BACK of the engine. Get it up on ramps at the front and crawl under it. Look up the back the engine, above where the driver's side driveshaft goes in the diff and you will see the block, and there's a flange where the gearbox bolts on. The sensor is on this flange, secured by a single 10mm bolt, take it out and give it a clean - but it may be open circuit. There is usually a connector somewhere higher up in the engine bay too - follow the wire back from the sensor to find it.
98 1.9Dturbo rev counter - Peter.N.
I think you will find that's the speedo sensor Richard, The TDC sensor that powers the rev counter sits just below the bottom of the cylinder head at the top of the gearbox, slightly towards the back, the plug/scoket is fixed to the end of the head. In the area of picture 'C' but under all those pipes!

Edited by Peter.N. on 12/08/2009 at 23:25

No, I know that's on the OS shaft output housing - I'm thinking further up. Was certainly there on my 94 ZX TD when we changed the clutch (my mate took it off before I told him we didn't to). However, on his 306 HDi when we changed the clutch it was right on the top of the bellhousing - we didn't see it till we separated the box, then the wire was still attached and we had to dig under the (substantial) wiring harness to get it undone. Could be either on a 98 TD 306! This may also be an ECU controlled car, in which case it might have the No 3 injector needle lift sensor as well.....
Super job guys for teh help so far.
This (what i'm talking abou t - not the original thread is a 96 DTurbo - i don't think its ECU controlled!).

Hopefully get the car up this weekend - i'll take another photo of what i find and if we source the problem. Then at least we will all be clear and if anyone else has the same problem in the future this might generally be of some help and stop the same questions..

Ant
Ok

so just managed to get it up.. and found this sensor which it looks as though Richard was referring to..

This is the after picture tinypic.com/r/316qo47/3 - is that right?

Gave it a clean, and plugged back - it worked for a little while - then went off again.. we chased it back to a sensor on the front of the Bay - Picture B dead centre with a grey and black connector and two wires coming out of it - that was clean also.. greased both up and still intermittant.

Stupidly i didnt take teh car off the ramps to check if it was speedo when it was unplugged - RE : Peter.

Any further guidance?
That's it. The fact it worked for a bit then stopped again suggests it is probably goosed. It's not the speed pickup - you'd know if you disturbed that as you'd be covered in gearbox oil :-)) A 96 is probably cable drive speedo anyway.
Yep!
Just had it working this morning - whilst engine was running I disconnected the connector I described in Photo B (3 pin, grey and black connector) that the sensor attaches to at the front and it cut out! voila! to check I put a multimeter across the two pins and got a reading - so the sensor was transmitting.

Then tried engine about half an hour later and rev counter was off. Multimeter tested connection again and there was no reading! Superb!

So I concur - I need a new sensor! Balls... another trip to the scrapyard..

On nother note that you mentioned Richard - the Connector i described in photo C on my first post.. Is the Reverse light switch.. so it wasnt a good idea driving around without that plugged in for a few days to test the rev counter..

Thanks for your help!