2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - northwest1965
I have a VW golf (2000). I have the problem that when it gets warm, it cuts out. I have taken it to 1 garage and they could not find the fault. I have also had the RAC out to it and again cant find a fault. Any help please?
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - Screwloose

Does it just cut out at normal speed, or stall when coming to rest?

How do you get it restarted?
snipquote
It cuts out as slowing down, say approaching a roundabout or a junction. I have to turn the key and it starts, sometimes it will cut out straight away again if I'm not moving. I worry as i lose my steering

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/11/2008 at 10:18

Have been looking back on old posts.... could it be the throttle body? Does this need cleaning? Would like to know if anyone has had this problem and cured it.

Yes; it could be throttle body related. Getting it cleaned and the basic idle setting re-adapted by someone with suitable equipment would be a good start. A fault-code read would have to be part of that procedure and may show something.

When did the problem start and does it happen most under any particular climatic conditions?
It started...must be 12months ago. I had a service and a new thermostic cable fitted and it seemed to be Ok for a while. I have just been out in it today and travelled 12miles and then just before I reached my destination it cut out 4times at junctions or turning a corner. Its in for a service on monday so I have everything crossed they can sort it.

Not sure what that cable was; but throttle-body icing is a possibility under those driving conditions.
I've probably not said the correct cable. Its the lead that is on the thermostat (tells you the temp of car)

That sounds like the temperature sensor. One half does the gauge and the other the engine-management. Was it a genuine VW replacement part?

If the ECU is getting the wrong data [that it's -40 o C] then it could be over-fuelling when hot.
I have just got my paperwork out and had a look. It was for the temp sender unit. As far as I know it was a genuine part, but I will get this garage to take a look and confirm for me.
As for the throttle body, I had this cleaned out in August 06.
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - tgah
Hi
A friend of mine had the same problem with his Golf, not sure of the year, a little older maybe. It would cut out every morning on the way to work at the same spot and coast to a halt. He would flick the key and it would start without problem. It went to the garage several times ( plugs, leads, coil etc ) but they could not fix it. In the end he found the fault himself, Screwloose looks spot on with 'throttle-body icing'. He found the pipe that ducts warm air from the exhaust manifold to the inlet had rotted out on its underside allowing cold air in. At first he thought 'no way would that be the fault' but after taping it up the problem never returned. About a year later his friend had the same fault on his Golf and was fixed the same way.
It may not be your prob but it's worth a look.

Andy
Cheers Andy & Screwloose !

Will let you next week!
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Golf IV SDI kept cutting out at random and sometimes refusing to start.Garage had the car for a week and failed to duplicate the problem. Showed up within 1/2 hr of the car being returned.
It was the immobiliser system. Cure was replacement of door locks and ignition lock set which include some sensors. Was done under warranty and I hope for your sake it is something cheaper.
GWS

It couldn't have been the immobilizer. Once the engine ECU has asked for and received the "go" code; it doesn't ask again until the next key-on.

Replacing the ignition switch is far more likely to have been the cure.
Well I've just returned from the garage!
I explained to the mechanic that I was having this problem. I asked him to clean the throttle body. He said it couldnt be done as it is a fly by wire? Is this right? He said it was more a case of changing the spark plugs because there was oil in there. I am not convinced and I was driving up the road where I live in 1st gear and it was missing. Any thoughts anyone....apart from take it back!
nw65

It most certainly can be done - but as it then needs the idle settings re-adapted, this was obviously well beyond his competence.

Try another garage.

NB. Missing under load is a very different thing to failure to idle...
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - ljjt
Hi, I used to have same problem on my old Golf, same year of make, same engine size. It was the throttle body. Call your local VW garage, tell them you want the throttle body cleaning out. It takes them 30mins max, costs just half an hours labour. I had my Golf for 3 and a half years and had to have it done about 3 times, but its cheaper than getting a new throttle body!!! make sure you tell them what it is and what you want or they will try to make you go through loads of wasteful exercises at your own cost! Will feel like a new motor once you get it done. All the best
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - tony@tooting
NW65,
If the car is now missing after the plugs were changed, (I take it you mean this was not happening before?) then the conmmonest reason would be the the HT leads have been damaged when they were removed from the plugs.
Get the garage to sort that out, then go elsewhere for the clean/adaption. As screwloose has said, if they dont know that the throttle can be cleaned/adapted, your in the wrong garage.
2000 1.4 Keeps cutting out - penelopepitstop
Hi there, im no expert in this field, but when i read this post, i thought i would mention that i know a lot of people who have had 1.4 engine mk 4 golfs and when they have found oil in spark plugs and air filter, its a classic sign that the oil rings have gone in the engine, this then causes either misfires or cutting out, solution is to change oil rings? definately worth looking into anyway?
pp

If only... The 100PS 1.4 VW units MUST be run on 98 octane unleaded or the pistons just eat away - inside the warranty period in many cases.

Nothing to do with worn oil-control rings; it's piston blow-by that pressurizes the crankcase and blows the oil up the breathers.

Once the pistons have gone that far, the engine is toast and they're £3,600 to replace. Bad cold starting, from low compression, is the usual first sign.