Buses and snow - Spospe
Here in south Manchester, all our local buses have been cancelled due to the snow. Perhaps this is understandable, but it does make the point that one cannot rely on public transport (PT).

It is precisely under these difficult conditions that PT should be fully available. How on earth does the government hope to persuade us out of our cars and onto PT when PT is unreliable?

Yes, I know that conditions are severe (for the UK), but so what? Are buses only fair-weather friends?
Buses and snow - Rattle
They are running in my part of South Manchester or at least they were. They are only operating on the main city centre routes though. The Metrolink is also running.

We can't really rely on our cars either in this weather - not just buses.
Buses and snow - Group B
Sheffield buses were stopped today, while they gritted the roads, no point getting all the buses stuck.

Apparently at lunch time the Supertram was still able to run but some drivers had abandoned their cars on the tram tracks!

Edited by Group B on 05/01/2010 at 18:11

Buses and snow - Harleyman
Are buses
only fair-weather friends?

Whilst risk assessors and Elf'n'Safety managers continue to control them, yes.

I would strongly suspect that decisions of this nature are highly influenced by the risk of being sued if someone slips on the pavement whilst alighting from a bus.
Buses and snow - Stuartli
Our Arriva buses were running in the middle of the day (three came along at once for the return journey on a service with a 10 minute frequency!), but it was clearly tricky for the drivers.

You can't control or stop such a large vehicle in the same way as cars or other smaller vehicles and I felt that the bus drivers were doing an exceptional job - however all Merseyside bus services were suspended in the late afternoon.
Buses and snow - Alby Back
.....what on bricks ?
Buses and snow - Stuartli
.....what on bricks ?>>

You like hospital food then....:-)
Buses and snow - sandy56
The UK is seriously stuffed, stopping buses because of the snow. Why just not shut down everything and stay at home until April? Then we wouldn't have all these problems with traffic and buses.

I have lived in Norway where it gets rather cold, -20C is normal for winter, and LOTS of snow. The roads are NOT gritted but they do have snow plows that work in the snow unlike in parts of the UK. SNow tyres are compulsory. The buses run to schedule unless the snow is VERY deep, and then they get the BIG snow plows out.

snip

The buses in Germany, Poland, Russia, Italy, Sweden, etc etc run all year round and it does get cold and snowy there too.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/01/2010 at 21:15

Buses and snow - Rattle
But those countries can plan for it, we can't.
Buses and snow - rtj70
>>But those countries can plan for it, we can't.

Those countries don't need to plan for it. It happens more often than not so people pay for this. Over here it happens infrequently and we don't want to pay just in case. Hands up those wanting to:

- Have winter tyres made compulsory?
- Have to carry snow chains?
- Pay taxes for snow ploughs that may never be needed before they need to be scrapped.

We live on a climate island that means this weather (to date) is infrequent so we live with the inconvenience.
Buses and snow - Rattle
Exactly its what I meant by we can't :).

However I am sure there are things the UK can learn from this.
Buses and snow - gordonbennet
- Have winter tyres made compulsory?

Yes please.

That one small thing would force drivers to take responsibility for themselves shock though it might be, and make the other two hardly needed, though if this global warming stuff carries on it'll be most winters like this for the forseeable.

I also wouldn't have to listen to certain posters whining endlessly about their car that doesn't grip in the snow (on it's low profile summer slicks with 2.1mm tread left).
Buses and snow - Mapmaker
I also wouldn't have to listen to certain posters whining endlessly about their car that
doesn't grip in the snow (on it's low profile summer slicks with 2.1mm tread left).

Why are low profile tyres particularly bad?
Buses and snow - Dynamic Dave
Why are low profile tyres particularly bad?

Because generally they're also wider and sit on top of the snow instead of sinking in a bit and getting more grip. Take a look at the cars that race on ice & snow - ok, they've also got spikes in the tyre treads, but they're also skinny for a reason.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/01/2010 at 20:43

Buses and snow - CraigP
The buses in Germany, Poland, Russia, Italy, Sweden, etc etc run all year round and it
does get cold and snowy there too.

>>

-16 the other night in Zamosc, south east Poland. Buses (old clattery things they were too!) ran like clockwork next morning in -14.
Buses and snow - martint123
-20C is normal for winter

Exactly. This is not the case in the UK though.
Buses and snow - Rattle
It just wouldn't work. Imagine fitting winter tyres to all our vehicles only to have to change them again when its 14c again! In this country we get weather like this next week it could be a virtual heat wave. In countries like Poland they know it will pretty much snow all winter so they can change tyres etc.
Buses and snow - CGNorwich
And where do you keep your spare wheels if you don't have a garage? Hang them on the bedroom wall? In Germany garages offer storage facilities
Buses and snow - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The local buses like T&M and Hulleys are running on the A6 which has been well cleared.
Stagecoach etc have cancelled everything.
Buses and snow - tyro
>>It just wouldn't work. Imagine fitting winter tyres to all our vehicles only to have to change them again when its 14c again!

I've said it here on more than one occasion, but I'll say it again: I have run my car with winter tyres over the summer, and I couldn't honestly detect any loss of grip. I'm sure there was some, but it was pretty marginal.

Edited by tyro on 06/01/2010 at 20:53

Buses and snow - Kevin
>Here in south Manchester, all our local buses have been cancelled due to the snow.

Nothing new I'm afraid.

When I was going to school in Yorkshire the school bus service was contracted to Yorkshire Traction. It was a standing joke that services would be cancelled if someone dropped a bag of flour on the road.

Kevin...
Buses and snow - grumpyscot
Why can't they develop a small snow-plough attachment for buses? Or is that too fanciful?

Or why not fitr them with sand dispensers above the driving wheels - just like they did with the old steam trains. (Which reminds me - years ago, in the days of steam trains, you rarely heard of trains being cancelled o/a snow - are we just getting soft these days and not prepared to deal even for a couple of weeks, with a bit of hardship?)
Buses and snow - b308
The problems seen on the TV for buses show ice or compacted snow (ice?) rather than deep snow causing the problems so I doubt a plough would make much difference.

Re "sanders", yep thats not a bad idea, but they are a sod to keep clean and the sand has to be kept dry... quite an expensive option though, I doubt the bus companies would want to pay out for something which only happens once ever blue moon!

(And please don't let them use "one shot" sanders!!)

Edited by b308 on 07/01/2010 at 09:56

Buses and snow - sierraman
Why can't they develop a small snow-plough attachment for buses? Or is that too fanciful?

Something like this?

tinyurl.com/ygclx53
Buses and snow - Badwolf
Morning all,

The impression I am getting from a few posters here is that they consider that, once it becomes too dangerous for them to drive their own car due to snow and/or ice, it is perfectly acceptable to expect somebody else to drive them (and up to 80 other people) to where they want to be.

Now, I know that public transport should be available to all at all times and it is, if we're being honest, a trifle laughable that it grinds to a halt in inclement weather. I don't want to get into the whys and wherefores, or the Elf'n'Safety aspect but I would like to put across the bus driver's point of view.

It is a huge responsibility, and one that is rarely acknowledged in my opinion, to carry a bus load of passengers about safely and without incident. As a driver, you am responsible for the life of everybody on that bus and as one poster has already said, those passengers will be someone's mum, dad, son, daughter etc. Not only that, but you are also responsible for ensuring that you do not injure anybody not on the bus (if you see what I mean). When the roads are clear and the weather is fine, you can accept that responsibility and, by and large, that responsibility is totally within your control.

Add thick snow and sheet ice (as we have here) into the equation and the control that you exert over the situation diminishes rapidly. A full single decker (ie 49 seats) will weigh in total around eighteen tonnes and that is a lot of vehicle to keep on the straight and narrow. As another poster has said, once a bus starts to slide on ice all you can do hold on to the steering wheel and hope for the best. It is a terrifying experience and one that, once you have had you will not want to repeat ever again.

I am very glad that I am not currently in the industry as I would not have wanted to be out on the roads over the past few days and would like more people to acknowledge the efforts made by the bus and coach drivers of this country. Especially the unseen efforts, for example Arriva drivers in Runcorn walked to work on Tuesday morning and dug buses out of the snow so that they could run a service. People in their nice, warm 9 to 5 jobs never seem to think of this....

Stay safe out there folks.
Buses and snow - b308
Well said, BW, it always surprises me that, even though they don't try to get into work, many people *expect* Public Transport and Supermarket HGV delivery drivers to be able to get through and keep things running...

If its any consolation I think that Bus Drivers are on a par with Train Drivers skill-wise, especially as they have to deal with the Public as well as doing the driving, but well underpaid compared with them.

Ah well, off to work at 12 to do my bit to keep the trains running! Timed my two rest days quite well, I thought!
Buses and snow - pda
Thanks for making that point Badwolf, I'm having the same problem too at the moment.
I'm getting complaints via emails from Blackberry phones, telling me that lorries are blocking roads and they shouldn't be there.
I'm being asked what I intend to do about it as a Trustee of a Lorry Drivers Association. I've been told they are driving too fast and too slow.
My patience is quickly running out.
We, like bus drivers do our level best to try and deliver the goods to keep the public ( and ourselves) with food, fuel and all the good things in life.
As soon as that 'Public' is sat in a traffic jam caused by a lorry complaints are then directed as us for causing it.

Mobile internet has a lot to answer for, and so has Google.

Pat
Buses and snow - Badwolf
Hello there Pat, it was most remiss of me not to include lorry drivers - I should have done so, sorry.

I agree that Joe Public, by and large, has not the foggiest notion of what it takes to maintain a service. They want that service and they want it now!

This is a little off-topic so apologies to the OP but what follows is a perfect illustration of the "how dare I be inconvenienced?!" attitude. In September 2004 I was involved in a serious and, sadly fatal RTC whilst driving a bus. It happened on a rural, but narrow A road and blocked the road for five hours or so. In the immediate aftermath of the collision it was readily apparent that the pillion passenger from the motorbike involved was in a seriously bad way. Establishing that I could be of no further use at the actual scene I started to turn traffic around. I walked up to the first vehicle in the queue and informed the driver that they were going to have to turn around. His reply? "No chance. I only live just over that bridge. I'll just drive round the scene." My reply? I'm afraid I can't give it as it would give the swear filter a purple fit. Suffice to say that he did not drive around the scene.

That man's attitude astounded me then, and it still does now. The me, me, me approach is the common denominator now and we are all so much poorer for it.
Buses and snow - bell boy
good post badwolf glad someones stood up for the bus drivers in this weather,those vehicles are also mainly front light and must be a nightmare to drive in some situations
Buses and snow - LikedDrivingOnce
This thread is a breath of fresh air. I appreciate the efforts made by those who keep essential transport services going in bad weather - that's the lorry, bus, train, ambulance, delivery drivers and anyone else who I've forgotten.

These are the real heroes and role models for our kids, IMHO - not overpaid footballers and "celebrities".
Buses and snow - Spospe
As the OP I would like to make it clear that, I was not, nor ever have been critical of bus drivers.

My reason for starting this thread was to make the point that since the government wishes to encourage the use of public transport, then it must be available at all times.

It's no use the media saying do not drive unless your journey is really urgent, if there is no other means of getting to where you need to be.

It's up to the public transport / government to ensure that a reliable system exists. At the moment I defy anyone to claim that public transport in the UK is universally reliable (or clean, or on time, or comfortable, or convieninent). A bit of snow in winter and it fails.
Buses and snow - Badwolf
It's up to the public transport / government to ensure that a reliable system exists.
At the moment I defy anyone to claim that public transport in the UK is
universally reliable (or clean or on time or comfortable or convieninent). A bit of snow
in winter and it fails.

I absolutely agree with you there. However, there is very little that the public transport companies can do without the support of the various transport agencies. It is the infrastructure that needs overhauling here but realistically that will never happen. The sort of weather on the sort of scale we have experienced over the past couple of weeks occurs only very rarely and as such it is just not worth spending the many millions of pounds that it would cost to equip us. I'd much rather have a week or so of absolute chaos once every few years and instead have the money spent on better things - education, cancer care and the like rather than the Government spend a fortune on equipping the country for something that only happens once in a blue moon.

Edited by Badwolf {P} on 07/01/2010 at 14:04

Buses and snow - AlastairW
Would it make a difference if busses had a 'winter' mode on there transmissions, like some cars do? They can certainly pull away from rest in higher gears - I have seen this happen with a broken gearbox that would only select top.

Edited by AlastairW on 07/01/2010 at 19:55

Buses and snow - slowdown avenue
the insurance claims , make it unecconomic to run the service , i would guese
Buses and snow - notathletic
We're in one of the worst affected parts of the UK and have had the snow/ice on the roads since before Christmas. Drivers are getting into the depot a lot earlier than their allotted start times to prepare the buses and get them out on time (without getting paid any overtime for that). We've had a couple of routes where the buses couldn't get round; not because of the road conditions but because of poorly parked cars (drivers leaving them there rather than going up side roads).

I've only had one complaint from a passenger who started berating me because I was 5 minutes late. She was at the door of the bus when I took it over from another driver so she must have known that any delay wasn't my fault - fortunatly the passengers behind her took my side and told her she was lucky that there buses running in the first place.

Anyway, moan over; enjoy this.

tinyurl.com/ya3ljsk
Buses and snow - pda
Well done to that man:)

He can call himself a driver!

Pat
Buses and snow - Badwolf
Quite so, Pat. Like I said earlier I am so glad that I haven't even had to drive my car in this weather let alone a bus.

Here's a video shot on Hardman Street in Liverpool - not quite as spectacular as notathletic's video but a good illustration of my first post.

tinyurl.com/yclluxh

I'd advise viewing this video with the sound down. Whoever posted it has made a dubious choice of background music...

Edited by Badwolf {P} on 09/01/2010 at 10:27