What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Swirl flap design fault on BMW 730d
Last year at 70,000 careful miles several swirl-flaps came adrift on my BMW 730d and one went through the engine into the turbo.

Inlet manifold and turbo replaced, one set of valves and piston changed. BMW paid for parts and cost to me £2.8k. This appears to be a design fault. Car appeares to run fine now, but I have lost confidence in the engineering. Is there anything that can been done, driving or maintenance, to prevent a recurrence?

Asked on 24 January 2012 by Mike WB

Yes, it is a design fault affecting engines from about 2002 to about 2004. Should have been rectified as part of the fix as does not seem to occur with post 2004 engines.