Is your local garage worth shouting about? We want to hear about it. | No thanks

Sunshine superfan
Having been caught out with a flat battery, on my Vauxhall Omega 2.5, during the recent cold weather, I am keen not to let it happen again. I have two cars and use the omega for longer runs about every two weeks. The car is parked in the driveway so a solar powered trickle charger would be ideal, except that it can not be plugged into the cigar lighter socket because it is not 'live' when the ignition is turned off, so it would need to be connected direct to the battery. I also intend to use it when I park it at the airport, so the solar panel would have to be located inside the car. What would you recommend I purchase? PS Thanks for a brilliant motoring column

Asked on 27 March 2010 by P.S., via e-mail

You could have a set of remote battery terminals fitted inside the cabin of the car so the solar charger can connect to them. Always a bad idea to attempt to charge via the fag lighter anyway.