What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

VAGabomb
Does the latest 1.6 diesel engine in the Audi A3 and VW Golf have a belts or chain cam? It seems to me that aside from the risk of a belt failure, the fuel savings over a 3-year period are negated by the cost of a belt change when compared with the frugal 1.4 petrol engine.

Asked on 27 March 2010 by F.T., via e-mail

Belt. I popped a bonnet to check. The chain cam 1.4TSI is a much better engine. One reader reported just 44mpg from the 1.6 diesel in an Ibiza. which negates the point of it