Let us know what life is like with YOUR CAR And you could win one of three ipads | No thanks

Jag
I am considering purchasing a Jaguar XJ either 3.0L petrol or 2.7L diesel 04-06 plate, as it does seem to be a lot of car for the money at the moment. I intend to start taking in a few continental driving trips with my wife and we would like to do it style but with economy, our annual mileage would be around 10K. Which engine do you consider would be best suited/ reliable for a few years use. Also your comment on what to look out for on a used model, what fitted extras are good to have and what wheel tyre size the XJ runs best on would be very helpful. Budget would be up to £15K or should I be looking a German alternative? We are surrounded by the usual crop of speed cushions. what will they do to this type of car?

Asked on 27 February 2010 by C.R., Bushey

Test of XJ 2.7 diesel: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=178
Car by car breakdown entry:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=662
The 2.7 diesel is prone to overheating its turbos in high ambient
temperatures. They need simmering for a couple of minutes after a long ascent. For comfort, go for the smallest wheels with deepest profile tyres. Probably 17". 18" max. Do not buy a car on 19" or 20" wheels. Check for rust in the rear arches when steel and aluminium meet.