Is your local garage worth shouting about? We want to hear about it. | No thanks

Pull (with) the other one?
A friend of mine uses his 10-year-old Focus 2.0 petrol to tow a Bailey 460/2 caravan that weighs just over 1 ton. He is now interested in buying a 1.6 TDCI diesel Focus. I am concerned that this car will have problems towing the same caravan. Should it be ok?

Asked on 27 February 2010 by P.H., Great Hale

It should tow it better, if anything. The 1.6TDCI develops its maximum torque at lower rpm than the 2.0TDCI and its 5th (top) gear is a lower, more sensible ratio for towing than 6th (top) gear in the 2.0TDCI.