What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Number fate
Overstayed in a 'free for 2 hours' retail park car park: Fine/invoice £80, but £50 if paid within 10 days. Automatic number plating against registered keeper information.

Asked on 27 February 2010 by S.F., West Horsley

They cannot charge the 'registered keeper' not knowing if it was he/she who parked the car and there is nothing in law that compels the registered keeper to tell them who did park the car. They can attempt to sue for breach of contract, but I doubt that they will.