What is life like with your car? Let us know and win one of three ipads | No thanks

Winter tyres
I have a BMW X5 35 diesel sport, 2010 model with run flat tyres which is not very good in snow. I have found some sensibly priced winter tyres which are not run flats. One tyre retailer tells me that I must buy run flats but another tells me that I am ok to use normal tyres. What is your opinion ?

Asked on 18 December 2010 by big d

You can get runflat winter tyres but they are not essential. Your problem will come if you ever suffer a puncture on non runflats because you won't be able to limp home.

For winter tyres see:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/20...s

I campaigned against the ridiculous attitude of insurers:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warran...s

And I won:

Dear HJ. Good work on winter tyres! This from the Society of Motor
Manufacturers and Traders:- The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
has today reassured motorists that they will not be affected by increased
car insurance premiums as a result of using winter tyres to improve their
vehicle’s safety during the winter months. Following discussions with the
Association of British Insurers (ABI), SMMT has clarified that the fitment
of winter tyres does not constitute a modification that will affect
premiums. www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=22819

HJ