Droning noise above 30mph - PaulC2004
Morning all, can someone please help confirm my diagnosis of a problem I've got on the old Golf. The car has covered about 120,000miles and recently its started to develope a droning noise over about 30 mph. Its not really loud, just noticibable but definately there.

1. I suspect its NSF wheel bearing - can anyone confirm the likelyhood?
2. Any idea how much they cost / how much effort the are to fit ?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 21:03

MK3 Golf Droning noise above 30mph - Peter D
A drone at 30, low frequency is highly probably the front bearing. Jack up the rears and spin them as fast as you can to see if it if a rear that is doing it. Lift the front and check for play in the bearing or roughness. Fronts tend to be more sensitive to weight i.e. cornering makes them noisier. Fronts cost about £26 Plus and the strut has to come off and the use of a 10 ton press. Rears £10 and 1/2 an hour a side. Regards Peter
MK3 Golf Droning noise above 30mph - sierraman
Check for play in rear by gripping in quarter to three position and waggling,any play will be evident and can usually be adjusted,nip the nut up until play is gone.To replace front it is easier to remove the hub from the end of the strut,your garage won't want to be trying to hold a strut in position on the press.
Correct well spotted I was thinking of the Polo's all my 3 kids have car. You will need a good ball joint splitter and be able to remove the caliper allen key bolts, bottom ball joint and before you start undo the drive shaft nut 3/4 bar required. Regards Peter
MK3 Golf Droning noise above 30mph - PaulC2004
Thanks chaps, thats my task for the weekend!!
Check you have a good fitting socket on a 3/4 bar. Regards Peter