BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - Cardriver1

Car failed mot because lambda reading is 8.199. It's been running fine and fuel consumption normal. Any ideas what could be the cause? Halfords who did the mot wouldn't even look at it. Told me I needed to go to bmw dealership but it's going into a local garage.

Edited by Cardriver1 on 14/04/2024 at 19:19

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - elekie&a/c doctor
I can’t see how a lambda reading can be that high , unless there’s a hole in the test machine sample pipe that’s letting in excess air .

So the fault could be with the test machine rather than my car?

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think so. If the lambda was genuinely that high ( should be around 1.000 ) the car would be running like a sack of nails.

Ok thanks. Fuel consumption is normal and its running fine as far as I can tell. I'll see what the other garage says. It was halfords who did the mot and the guy I spoke to didn't appear to know what a lambda reading was or offer any help at all.

Edited by Cardriver1 on 14/04/2024 at 20:27

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - Andrew-T
I would think so. If the lambda was genuinely that high ( should be around 1.00 ) the car would be running like a sack of nails.

It wouldn't 'run' at all, certainly not as far as the test station. I think any lambda outside (say) 0.75 to 1.33 would fail spectacularly on emissions anyway ? If, as the OP says, the car is running normally, it would give a pretty normal lambda figure.

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/04/2024 at 23:14

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - Big John

Are you sure it's 8.199 not .8199? The former is staggeringly lean (ie wrong) or the latter is running a bit rich(condition of air filter?).

Edited by Big John on 14/04/2024 at 22:55

Definitely 8.199 according to the paperwork halfords gave me and the mot record online.

Definitely 8.199 according to the paperwork halfords gave me and the mot record online.

In that case, either the test equipment has a problem or the operator has miskeyed some figure.

The lambda number gives the ratio between fuel and oxidant (atmospheric oxygen) for correct (stoichiometric) combustion. Any number seriously divergent from 1.0 would mean an engine in dire need of tuning. A figure like 8 would mean the engine was getting hardly any oxygen at all. Just not possible for one 'running normally' !

What would be the symptoms if the engine was in dire need of tuning? Sounds rough? Low power / high mpg?

Car “tuning “ went out about 30 years ago . There are no adjustments that can be made on your car . Any issue with a running problem would usually flag the malfunction warning light.

Ah OK. No warning lights at all.

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - Gibbo_Wirral

Any chance you could upload the report to a picture sharing site?

Halfords only gave me the failure certificate which can be viewed on the govt mot site. They didn't give me any detailed readings. www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=...e

Unfortunately the fail certificate doesn’t show the actual emissions. It’s a separate sheet which you have to request from the mot test centre . You could go back and ask for it .
BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - Brit_in_Germany

Can you read the value via the OBD interface, e.g. using the Torque app and a dongle?

Book it in for an other MOT with a local Independent garage that can also sort it - if there is anything wrong!

You can read actual data from the obd socket , temperature and lambda sensor activity, but you can’t measure the tail pipe emissions.

So took it to a local garage and they tell me it looks like halfords did a petrol test even though the car is diesel. Does this sound right? I thought lambda readings were applicable for both petrol and diesel?

Do you not have any previous MOTs and the smoke results sheet that normally gets stapled to it?

Emission tests for petrol and Diesel engines are completely different. The lambda reading is only applicable to petrol engines . Diesel engine has a smoke opacity test .

I only got the car last year so no previous mot certificates. I finally got the results from halfords and it does show lambda reading 8.199. I also checked govt mot website and it states that as of 2018, all cars are tested for emissions including lambda reading??

www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-priv...2

Those tests / readings are for a spark ignition engine. Petrol models . You can check previous mot history on dvla website. This will show any previous emission based failures.

Definitely no emission failures on previous mot's.

Think you need to take it to a mot station that understands diesel emissions. There is no lambda reading on a diesel emission test for mot requirements. Has the car had a re map with possible dpf delete ?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 17/04/2024 at 18:04

OK will do. Not had a re map that I know of.

So turns out halfords did indeed do a petrol test on my diesel car. Absolute fools. Csr now passed mot with no issues. Moral of the story is don't use halfords! Thanks for the advice!

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - FP

"So turns out halfords did indeed do a petrol test on my diesel car."

A clear case of incompetence. Refund due?

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/problems-with-your-test-...s.

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - paul 1963

I honestly wouldn't let Halfords top up the washer fluid, hope you intend to go back and make a huge fuss?

BMW 1 Series Convertible - Mot fail due to Lambda reading 8.199 - edlithgow

Twas my understanding *(though my understanding is often rather out of date) that diesels were only tested for smoke.

That said, I dont see why a gas analyser wouldnt work on diesel exhaust, and if that is the case, I would expect it to show a large excess of oxygen, since its my understanding thats how diesels operate.

So I dont quite understand the comments on it having hardly any air

That said, I dont see why a gas analyser wouldnt work on diesel exhaust, and if that is the case, I would expect it to show a large excess of oxygen, since its my understanding thats how diesels operate.

"If the mixture contains too much oxygen for the amount of fuel (a lean mixture), lambda will be greater than 1.00. If a mixture contains too little oxygen for the amount of fuel (a rich mixture), lambda will be less than 1.00."

"If the mixture contains too much oxygen for the amount of fuel (a lean mixture), lambda will be greater than 1.00. If a mixture contains too little oxygen for the amount of fuel (a rich mixture), lambda will be less than 1.00."

Hence I didn't understand

:" Any number seriously divergent from 1.0 would mean an engine in dire need of tuning. A figure like 8 would mean the engine was getting hardly any oxygen at all."

but if its the wrong way around, it all falls neatly into place.

<< " Any number seriously divergent from 1.0 would mean an engine in dire need of tuning. A figure like 8 would mean the engine was getting hardly any oxygen at all."

but if its the wrong way around, it all falls neatly into place. >>

Sorry if I got the lambda ratio backwards :-)

On another motoring group I'm on, a Halfords customer is having problems getting a solution for his 9 month old Halfords battery that won't charge and is only reading 3.5v.

Halfords say they will only replace when it shows 0.5v on their tester

On another motoring group I'm on, a Halfords customer is having problems getting a solution for his 9 month old Halfords battery that won't charge and is only reading 3.5v.

Halfords say they will only replace when it shows 0.5v on their tester

Weird. I;d have thought if it had a warranty it was warranted to be fit for purpose, which would involve starting a car

But discharging it and leaving it thus should get it stone dead fairly quickly.

<< " Any number seriously divergent from 1.0 would mean an engine in dire need of tuning. A figure like 8 would mean the engine was getting hardly any oxygen at all."

but if its the wrong way around, it all falls neatly into place. >>

Sorry if I got the lambda ratio backwards :-)

I'd be sorry if you hadn't

Because then I'd be confused.