Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - Pab101

Hello, I have recently had an issue where by breaks stopped working on the motorway and drive with an oil warning light for a few miles before I could pull over. I have since learnt of the issue with regards to this model. I have been quoted 1.7k for the wet belt to be repaired, however have been advised that it would not be known if the engine is damaged until the repair is completed (due to driving with the warning light on). Are able to give 3-400 for sc***. It is a 2015 plate with 100k miles. Any comments/advice would be welcome as unsure how to proceed with this. Many thanks

Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - elekie&a/c doctor
Driving with the oil light on , with any car , is not good news . Most modern engines are likely to be toast if this happens. I suspect serious engine damage had occurred. It’s not worth anyone trying to fix it up. You’ll need a new engine . That’ll be at £2.5 k repair , at least . Second hand motor may be an option, but without any previous history, it’s a risk , and could be as bad as what you have already. Finding a good unit is difficult, because most have failed in the same way .
Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - edlithgow

Dont understand what you mean by "where by breaks stopped working on the motorway"

I would normally guess that by "breaks" you meant "brakes" but I've no reason to suppose you are an American, and theres no likely connection between a brake failure and a wet belt failure; so this wouldn't make sense

Edited by edlithgow on 05/04/2024 at 10:00

The brake servo / booster gets its vacuum from the brake booster pump which is driven from the engine camshaft system. If the cambelt breaks , then the booster pump function is lost .
Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - bathtub tom

The brake servo / booster gets its vacuum from the brake booster pump which is driven from the engine camshaft system. If the cambelt breaks , then the booster pump function is lost .

The OP seems to be saying they drove for several miles with the oil light on, so the servo vacuum would be maintained.

I thought only diesels used a vacuum pump. Why would a petrol need one and what's wrong with the manifold depression?

Edited by bathtub tom on 05/04/2024 at 12:03

Hpi / direct injection petrol engines very often don’t idle with the throttle butterfly near the closed position, so the vacuum at the manifold is not sufficient for the brake servo . A mechanical driven booster pump is used to overcome this situation.
Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - Pab101

Thank you for your help with this - I will cut my losses I think

Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - bathtub tom
Hpi / direct injection petrol engines very often don’t idle with the throttle butterfly near the closed position, so the vacuum at the manifold is not sufficient for the brake servo . A mechanical driven booster pump is used to overcome this situation.

Thanks for that. Every day's a school day!

Ford fiesta ecoboost 1l - Ecoboost wet belt query - edlithgow

OK, Apology to OP. Didn't know that.

Another "New Car Thing".AKA Progress.

In this case I assume it can't have actually broken, since the car would have stopped. I'd guess it stripped teeth enough to loose drive, without the timing going out far enough for valve interference.

(I'm assuming this is an interference engine, though perhaps the designers thought it didn't have to be, given that it has adequate other ways of wrecking itself).

Seems engine might actually be savable, but I suppose too big a gamble to find out at pro labour rates.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/04/2024 at 00:57