Dashcams in Portugal - hojojo

I’m gearing up for a trip to Portugal and stumbled upon a debate about dashcam use there. It seems they’re not allowed due to privacy concerns, and you could even face penalties for having one. However, I’ve heard mixed things about whether this applies to visitors in the same way as residents. If anyone has navigated this situation before, your advice would be invaluable as I plan my journey.

Dashcams in Portugal - Bromptonaut

Several sources say it's not a grey area at all. They're illegal for privacy reasons:

www.theportugalnews.com/news/2023-09-10/why-are-da...#

Several sources say it's not a grey area at all. They're illegal for privacy reasons:

www.theportugalnews.com/news/2023-09-10/why-are-da...#

Thanks for providing the article, @Bromptonaut! The privacy law in Portugal is confusing because dashcams are illegal, but CCTVs are allowed (with some restrictions). I guess the use of DSLRs and phone cameras are restricted in Portugal as well, where you’re not allowed to take a photo or video of someone’s private property like their car or house.

Dashcams in Portugal - Chris M

"not allowed to take a photo or video of someone’s private property like their car or house".

Doesn't seem to apply to Google Streetview.

"not allowed to take a photo or video of someone’s private property like their car or house".

Doesn't seem to apply to Google Streetview.

Here's what I found regarding Google Street View, @Chris M: It automatically blurs license plates and faces, not just in Portugal, but anywhere else in the world www.google.com/streetview/policy/. It seems like a pretty robust system, although there could always be occasional glitches. Maybe I could use this technique when posting my photos from Portugal, just blur out the license plates and faces?

Dashcams in Portugal - Brit_in_Germany

Dashcams were considered to be contrary to the right to privacy in Germany but eventually they came round to the opinion that they were OK is no use was made of the video material and it was automatically deleted unless there was a particular reason to store the data for accident recordal purposes. Sending a video to the police for a contravention of traffic regulations, for example, could result in a fine for contravening the law.

That’s an interesting point about Germany’s approach to dashcam footage, @Brit_in_Germany. Thanks for sharing the info on Germany’s stance; it gives some food for thought on how different countries are navigating this issue. It’s a tricky situation for visitors to Portugal who might be used to using dashcams in their own country.

Dashcams in Portugal - alan1302

It’s a tricky situation for visitors to Portugal who might be used to using dashcams in their own country.

Not really, just unplug it.

Dashcams in Portugal - Chris M

"Not really, just unplug it."

My thoughts exactly when I read the OP's comment this morning.

It’s a tricky situation for visitors to Portugal who might be used to using dashcams in their own country.

Thanks for the straightforward solution, @alan1302! Unplugging the dashcam, or not installing one at all, seems like the easiest way to respect local regulations in Portugal. Appreciate the tip!

Dashcams in Portugal - skidpan

Thanks for the straightforward solution, @alan1302! Unplugging the dashcam, or not installing one at all, seems like the easiest way to respect local regulations in Portugal. Appreciate the tip!

WOW. Who would have thought of that solution. Surely deserves some kind of degree.

Perhaps a degree of stupidity.