Renault Clio - Second Hand Car - Dealer Warranty Fraud - Mark Mcilkenny

I recently purchased a used car from a dealership in the Greater London area. When I arrived to collect the car it was filthy and I had to wait for it to be valeted prior to driving away (I should have known from that moment to walk away).

Since I took ownership of the car within the first 6 months I had issues with leaks on the radiator, air conditioning issues, radiator light on every time the car starts and now finally it seems the timing chain has a problem.

Throughout the first 6 months and now I have been in contact with the dealership to explain the issues as I was told there was a 6 month warranty and they have been very unhelpful besides once asking me to drive my car to them (70+ miles from my home) to have a look at the issues.

The dealership refused to pay for any of the issues I have had and never sent me any warranty documents. Knowing that the timing chain issues may cost me up to £2.5k and is covered under any warranty I threatened to take them to small claims court.

Following this threat the dealership said they would give me a further 6 month warranty as a good will gesture and then I would have to deal directly with the warranty company to recoup any costs. So I then received some warranty paperwork to say I bought the car less than a month ago (I bought it 6 months ago) and I had a total claim limit of £2k.

I questioned this and asked for the original warranty to which I was told the original warranty was an “in house” warranty and I wouldn’t need it but to tell the warranty company the purchase date they have made up on the warranty is correct when I apply my claim.

I've obviously decided not to be part of their fraud so I have written them a letter stating that I would not be accepting this fraudulent document and attempting to defraud the warranty company. I have requested that they refund me for the car or I will be taking legal action and informing all parties of the fraud.

The dealer is still adamant they will not repair or replace the vehicle and I am at a loss as to how they can take this stance. I have contacted the finance company for their assistance but what else can I do without having to go through a lengthy and costly court process. I need my car!

What are my rights? What would you do in this situation? Really difficult situation as I don’t have a few grand lying around to pay for the repairs myself!

Renault Clio - Second Hand Car - Dealer Warranty Fraud - Adampr

Has it been more or less than 6 months? This affects your ability to reject the car:

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/