Pothole compensation - crxg

Hi,

In May this year whilst travelling on a country lane in Essex my car struck a pothole. Loud crunch, all on dashcam. After taking car to two garages both found damage and they were repaired at a total cost of £363.01

Looked on council website, bingo. Pothole was reported last updated on the 21st October 2021 when they said a repair would be carried out in accordance with priority etc. Reported it, made a claim. Eight weeks later council reject. They claim it wasn't dangerous enough for them to act, saying it had a Consequence score of 1 , but a risk score of 3, meaning I was very likely to hit it (61-80%). But the score of 1 they gave me as I recently found out equates to in their own definition, a jarring for passengers.

Since then I've done everything I can to undermine the councils decision .I've submitted FOI requests detailing inspections and maintenance of the roads policy. Both inspections , first in October 2021 second in November of 2022, noted no "actionable defects". Note how the inspections are scheduled for every October but this one took place 13 months after the previous one in 2021, violating council rules and national highways principles for 12 months for local roads such as this.

After claim was assessed to be null due to Pothole being category 2 (non dangerous) the initial report from October 2021 was quietly removed (screenshot evidence available)

ECC consequence of 1 as "negligble" grossly incorrect as that does not correspond with the damage claimant suffered and the description ECC gave for 1( a minor jarring). Whereas claimants vehicle suffered suspension damage

An actual consequence score of 3 multiplied by risk score of 3 would give a total of 9 putting it in category 1 requiring a repair within 5 days

ECC KNEW the pothole existed for 18 months but did not undertake any repair in this timescale, despite an admission that potholes can and will deteriorate

I believe I've proved that the pothole was dangerous according to their own criteria, but what about negligence? It is a country road but still subject to annual inspections. How do I go about proving negligence , I know there is s58 and I have arguments for most of their points, eg , the council had ample time to rectify the pothole . If it scored 9 it would have been repaired within 5 days not an unspecified timescale..it's also dubious how the council removed the report from October 2021 from their website, but I have a screenshot of this . I also have dashcam footage of the pothole, which is a metre wide and 70mm deep according to the inspectors. I was driving at 2mph at the time so driver error cannot be to blame.

I know there is the £50 charge to start smc proceedings but how much could I lose in money if I lose, could it be the full £750 if they call in experts etc? I think I could be exempt from paying the full costs as I'm a student /part time worker. Obviously before I start smc I will send an email and letter outlying my case, I have compiled a 20 page report on the matter. I have also obtained anecdotal evidence from locals including a firefighter saying the damage cars have had through the hole and how some of them damage was in December 2022 , just a week after the council inspection , the last one .

No, I am not going to claim through car insurance as that will cost me in premiums. I am making a stand against one of the worst local authorities in the UK for potholes and I am prepared to go to great lengths to do so (within reason). Like I said I've proven the pothole was dangerous but more iffy about negligence

Pothole compensation - Adampr

How.on earth did you do any.damage driving at 2mph?

If you really want to make a stand but don't have the money to, write to your ward councillor and to the local paper.

I measured the hole today. It is 200mm deep.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TaNUIElPWuEwpcfg1k...g

It was filled with water so i had to dredge it. the council measured it as just 70mm deep!

Video of me hitting the pothole and it filled with water drive.google.com/file/d/1HZkErM6vs96DDcdIgfJNx5ra8...g

Edited by crxg on 18/08/2023 at 14:59

Pothole compensation - Andrew-T

200mm = 8 inches, so a pretty deep pothole, probably grounding parts of the suspension if your wheel was in the deepest part. But as Adam has asked, if you hit it at 2mph, How did the car suffer serious damage ? It might have taken some effort to drive out of a pothole that deep, as at 2mph I would expect a car to stop there ?

The suspension links snapped and the shock absorbers also broke. One of my extra exhausts also came loose. I knew something had broken because after driving the car I heard rattling.

Council records I have obtained report the defect was noted in March 2019 and recorded as 140mm in depth (despite claiming to me after my accident it was 70mm)Someone had an accident which damaged the front underside of the car in May 2021. So council knew about it for 4 and a half years and did nothing. They didn't even actually measure it only an estimation because apparently it was "not safe" to measure. The photos taken by the inspector were from the inside of a maintenance van so he didn't even get out and investigate

In the most recent inspection the council cl it a pothole but in previous it called it a "verge overrun"

Edited by crxg on 18/08/2023 at 17:45

Pothole compensation - Engineer Andy

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TaNUIElPWuEwpcfg1k...g

It was filled with water so i had to dredge it. the council measured it as just 70mm deep!

Video of me hitting the pothole and it filled with water drive.google.com/file/d/1HZkErM6vs96DDcdIgfJNx5ra8...g

The likely issue was that no-one followed up on the original report to say it had got worse (deeper / wider).

I've found this to be the ONLY way to get potholes repaired quickly, as many otherwise observant and public-spirited people don't always see a 'report' of a pothole, but don't realise that someone may have reported it in its 'early stages', below the threshold for consideration to repair, or the second one for an emergency repair within 2 working days, all by the size (over a minimum diameter AND above a certain depth).

Taking and uploading a photo or two (or using an annotated Google Streetview image) is also very useful, and if others can see them, it gives them some guide to how far the pothole was worsened since the original report.

This can be vitally important as potholes in particular can worsen significantly in winter and on well-used roads, rural areas (run-off or flooding issues) and/or ones that are used by HGVs (including farm vehicles on country lanes).

Also good to give additional (legitimate) information that may help any decision.

What isn't useful is that with some reprting systems (including my home county's, Hertfordshire) at least, you cannot provide an updated report to an initial one, but have to report another separately by posting it on the map 'nearby' (as possible) to the original.

My final tip is always put the original fault report's reference number / code in the updated one, as then the officials then have no excuse and there's a 'paper trail' to indicate how fast the problem has worsened and the likely direction of travel.

I've now looked at the pictures and watched the video (it's got some bad language in it, for any sensitive types).

I can now understand how you can damage a car at 2mph. However, I would also observe that that's not a pot hole. It's a service trench with obvious lines where it's been pecked out.

That doesn't really affect your claim other than that you may also have a claim against whoever dug the hole. Have you obtained records of road closures?

Im not sure if it was a hole dug by a company so to speak more likely to be an issue with chronic flooding in that section which has eroded away the road surface. The council called it a pothole in their response to my claim but called it a verge overrun back in 2021. They didn't mention in their rejection that it was not their responsibility etc only that it was not considered dangerous, which obviously everyone can see that is not the case.

Im not sure if it was a hole dug by a company so to speak more likely to be an issue with chronic flooding in that section which has eroded away the road surface. The council called it a pothole in their response to my claim but called it a verge overrun back in 2021. They didn't mention in their rejection that it was not their responsibility etc only that it was not considered dangerous, which obviously everyone can see that is not the case.

Whatever it is, it's a big hole in the road.

Take them to court. They probably won't even contest it. You could end up having to pay their costs, but only if you lose (unlikely) and the judge thinks you should (also unlikely).

Yeah I'm more worried about if they put it on a "fast" or "multi" track rather than small claims which means things go up in price a lot. But I've written a final letter and will send it this week giving them an ultimatum to respond with the fresh evidence

Council data I obtained via FOI showed it was 140mm deep in 2019 which is obviously very deep in itself. And someone had an accident at the site with damage done to the underside of their Car in May 2021

Pothole compensation - Turkish_Emperor

Watched the video.

Man, that was some deep hole right there. Imagine if you were a cyclist going into that, you'd never get out!

Good luck with your claim, I hope you win and are recompensed well.